Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The 5th knuckle

OT: Odd converstaion

Took REEBecka out for a nooner at ridgeline today since it's so nice out. While I'm tooling along I see two guys on the other side of the mesa about 1/4 mile away and think, I wonder if I can catch 'em. I wind up and go for it. I catch the first guy and pass him about 1/3 of the way up the climb to Beer Stop"A" from the east and hang behind the second guy at the hairpin at the top. He stops in the middle of the trail making me stop and notices I'm not his buddy. We chat for a minute as his buddy comes up. We're standing there BS'ing and

slow guy: you're pretty fast on that wal-mart bike.
    Me: I ride quite a bit (as I look at these two man crush guys in matching Specialized Spandex on their matching FSR Elites)
    Slow guy #2: You don't even have a suspension fork, don't you get beat up?
    Me: No... I feel like I have better control of the bike and feel of the trail.
    Slow guy: WOW! You really down graded with the fan belt, does this bike come with a chain.
    Me: It does but it was out of my budget.
    Slow guy #2: I like the beer stickers. It's cool how thye're backwards.
    Me: yeah, I thought it was a nice touch. I need to get back to work, see ya.

I rode off looking for the camera guy in the bush or something. The whole rest of the ride home all I could think was WTF????
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

lucky enough
    that's funny.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    You live in Castle Rock--what did you expect? :P

That is kinda funny about the fan belt comment though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Didn't Dave tell you your bike is a re-badged NEXT?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What's the hardest part about riding a rigid single-speed bike?

Telling everyone about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think they were f'in with ya.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    What's the hardest part about riding a rigid single-speed bike?
    Telling everyone about it.
    In the land of 5" FS when the biggest tech section has a rock that's 5" and everyone rides around the mud... odd man out.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Didn't Dave tell you your bike is a re-badged NEXT?
    NEXT .. REEB they both have 4 letters. In a world of man wives it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    You live in Castle Rock--what did you expect? :P
    That is kinda funny about the fan belt comment though.
    The belt comment did make me chuckle a bit. He said it so seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    I think they were f'in with ya.
    I'm the king of screwing with people and can ferret it out pretty well. I'm pretty sure they were serious.
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

rr
    I don't do PC
    REEBecka?, nice story

When I was riding in Fraser over the summer we ran into a guy with a decked out Moots. He was cool and showed us a couple under the radar trails, not to mention he had a hot girl with him in full spandex kit! Anyway, at one point we stopped and he asked what kind of Ti bike I was riding, I said it was steel with a raw finish. He asked what's a Reeb?, I said it was beer spelled backwards and was locally made on the front range thru Oskar blues brewery. He seemed puzzled and said OhhK, I think he lost all interest at that point like a bike made by a brewery???

The Reeb is the Rodney Dangerfield of custom bikes!

mtbr member
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    REEBecka?
    The Reeb is the Rodney Dangerfield of custom bikes!
    I name all my bikes. My HT Evo is Eve, my carbon Trek is Carla, REEB is Reebecka. Not over clever just a weird habit.

Rodney.... I was thinking more ..... Mitch Hedberg

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    I name all my bikes. My HT Evo is Eve, my carbon Trek is Carla, REEB is Reebecka. Not over clever just a weird habit.
    High five for bike naming. My stable's currently Pretty Boy Floyd, Handsome Jack, Bubblegum, Green Masheen, Sophia, and Sergio.

Also that story's full on hilarious. If I lived where you did, that REEB would be my top pick for a bike that spent most of it's time on Ridgeline. And I probably wouldn't be putting so much effort into putting front suspension on the Green Masheen.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    I had an odd conversation today as well.

So I go to big daddy bagels in golden to get some day old bagels and a cup of coffee to help motivate me on a morning mountain bike ride. I get out of my car and this dreaded out white guy says he thought I would be a hot chic. I'm confused at this point, not really understanding why he would have had that idea. I apologized for not being a hot chic. My new car isn't really girly(it's black Mazda CX-5) and my bike is black and white. He goes on to a long explanation of hot moms at the elementary school (apparently he lives across the street from the elementary school and watches all the hot moms come and go), and how they all ride bikes. I guess if you ride a bike in golden you must have to be a hot mom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post

So I go to big daddy bagels in golden to get some day old bagels and a cup of coffee to help motivate me on a morning mountain bike ride. I get out of my car and this dreaded out white guy says he thought I would be a hot chic. I'm confused at this point, not really understanding why he would have had that idea. I apologized for not being a hot chic. My new car isn't really girly(it's black Mazda CX-5) and my bike is black and white. He goes on to a long explanation of hot moms at the elementary school (apparently he lives across the street from the elementary school and watches all the hot moms come and go), and how they all ride bikes. I guess if you ride a bike in golden you must have to be a hot mom.
    Odd. So very very odd. How were the bagels?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Very good.

The 5th knuckle
    I guess if you ride a bike in golden you must have to be a hot mom.
    Most of the hot moms and man wives jog around here. Worst time to ride is 8:45 - 9:30. After they drop the kids off at school they run and then go shopping or something. Nooners are best, trail is deserted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

That's getting right up there on the creepiness meter. Lock up your children folks.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Hate to be the one to break it to ya... but that's a hot soccer-mom car. NTTAWWT

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Slow guy #2: You don't even have a suspension fork, don't you get beat up?
    Me: No... I feel like I have better control of the bike and feel of the trail.
    Slow ghuy #2 here. (the one with the somewhat larger bulge in his spandex)

Why did you not answer my question about what tyres work best on a WalMart bike without shox?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Funny stuff; reminds me of my last ride on the Cone, last Sunday. Buddy of mine came up to Boulder to rescue his house after the flood. His tenant loaned him a real beater of a bike. We rushed out of the house and forgot everything. First few pedal strokes and his seatpost falls apart. We flagged down some guy and asked to borrow a 5mm. He looked at my buddy's bike and was like "do you know which way to turn to tighten the bolt?". He wouldn't believe him he did. The he was like, "do you know how long this trial is? maybe you should turn around?" and a few other hilarious comments just because he wasn't decked out and his bike was a beater. We were amazed.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

rr
    I don't do PC
    Your Mazda is like our Reebs, no respect

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post

Why did you not answer my question about what tyres work best on a WalMart bike without shox?
    The whole 2.4 tubeless thing would have freaked him out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post

Definitely odd. Dude with large, rigid bulge in spandex meets dude who likes to ride rigid and asks what kinda rubber works best.

Now older but less slow!
    This thread is developing into a whole lot of awesome!

Good laugh on a rainy Friday morning.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    definitely odd. Dude with large, rigid bulge in spandex meets dude who likes to ride rigid and asks what kinda rubber works best.
    duhh...

OT: Odd converstaion-%24-kgrhqf-lcfi3pbzugsbsqdbpobdw%7E%7E60_3.jpg

mtbr member
    What'd you expect from a Cat. 6 race? Funny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast