Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Yappy little dog!

OT: Need a Lawyer

Before you all start thinking, it's a very specific and on-going thing since I moved in.

Anyway, I am not sure exactly what type of Lawyer I should contact or who. I need a Lawyer who will write a Cease and Desist letter to my neighbor who has continually harassed my family (most notably my 82 year old Mother-in-Law since we moved in. There's a lot more to this (including some unethical HOA stuff he did too - he is Treasurer). The other day he harassed my MIL when she went to get the mail. She was shaking all day and I had to deal with it on the phone during work.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. It's been three years of Hell from this bastard. There is nothing worse than an A$$hole neighbor.

I've called a bunch of local Real Estate attorneys but they don't deal with that kind of stuff. I have already fought the HOA once and I don't have the energy to do it again.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Attorney Alternatives

But seriously, good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to hear about this. I would probably talk to a good criminal attorney first. I don't know one and am not in town so I can chk with my office folks, but I'm positive there are several good ones around. Sometimes, a letter from a criminal attorney will solve the problem.

still riding
    yeah , I'm thinking restraining order over cease and desist here.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd contact Rontele at COMBA. He'd likely point you in the right direction. Either that or he'll just empty your wallet.

drinks from the fountain
    My father in Law was an attorney. On issues like this he said a nice letter will usually do the trick.
    So you dont have to pay a retainer. You could even make your own with a fancy letterhead.

Fear works well too. You want for me to stop by with Moose and Rocco?
    "I dont know Karate but I do know K RAZY! " James Brown

Seriously goood luck.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I'd contact Rontele at COMBA. He'd likely point you in the right direction. Either that or he'll just empty your wallet.

Now that was funny! Thank you.

!Vamos, flaco!
    I am an attorney and I do not want your case. However, the Colorado Bar Association has a "Find a Lawyer" feature I have referred people to before. http://www.cobar.org/directory/

Most attorneys worth anything, or at least, the ones you will want to work with, will talk to you and hear you out to decide if they can or should take the case before you pay anything. Before speaking with them, get a good idea of what you want and try to get all the facts straight. I only mention this because you said there's a lot more to this . . . The more you help your attorney out, the better representation you'll get and the cheaper it'll be. Don't be afraid to call several attorneys before picking one.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmosebar
    My father in Law was an attorney. On issues like this he said a nice letter will usually do the trick.
    So you dont have to pay a retainer. You could even make your own with a fancy letterhead.

Fear works well too. You want for me to stop by with Moose and Rocco?
    "I dont know Karate but I do know K RAZY! " James Brown

Seriously goood luck.

I tried the "nice" approach. I got the door slammed in my face. Then I got nasty. The result? $3500 in landscaping to block him, no basketball hoop for my kids, and he had to take his deer statue down from the front of his house (which I didn't really care about but it was to prove a point). Yeah, I got the $h!t end of the stick. It's very hard to deal with an a$$hat like that, especially when he is an officer on the HOA BoD. One that needs a 67% majority to replace. Oh, and did I mention that the homeowners need to be physically present in order to vote? The meetings are at 5:00PM. Good luck on that.

I am not a violent person, although he did try to jump over a table at me during an HOA meeting.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    I am an attorney and I do not want your case. However, the Colorado Bar Association has a "Find a Lawyer" feature I have referred people to before. http://www.cobar.org/directory/

Most attorneys worth anything, or at least, the ones you will want to work with, will talk to you and hear you out to decide if they can or should take the case before you pay anything. Before speaking with them, get a good idea of what you want and try to get all the facts straight. I only mention this because you said there's a lot more to this . . . The more you help your attorney out, the better representation you'll get and the cheaper it'll be. Don't be afraid to call several attorneys before picking one.
    Thanks for the advice and link. I will give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    schnauzers,

I sent you and email with a referral to a good friend (he's a mountain biker too!). I think he can be of assistance.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    schnauzers,

I sent you and email with a referral to a good friend (he's a mountain biker too!). I think he can be of assistance.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    What a load of Kraap! Attorneys are about money and more money. A good attorney wants money! Oh did I tell you they want money??? And another thing! All this boa dtr krt mbd lostkm $hit is ruining America. Go pull your pants up.

OK I admit it! I'm a hypocrite. I just hate the A word.
    Last edited by jimbowho; 01-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho
    What a load of Kraap! Attorneys are about money and more money. A good attorney wants money! Oh did I tell you they want money??? And another thing! All this boa dtr krt mbd lostkm $hit is ruining America. Go pull your pants up.

nice job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If it wasn't for lawyers we wouldn't need lawyers. I heard that once. Nothing to add, really, just subscribing. I've had "Children of The Corn" neighbors before but never brought a lawyer into play. I just moved. Got great neighbors now.

You know what they say about neighbors? The best you can hope for is that they leave you alone. Anything better is just a bonus.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

i don't think i've ever heard a good story about HOA's

mtbr member
    Just two words: molotov cocktail
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

holding back the darkness
    HOA's are the devil.
    Completely un-american to begin with.
    have you tried getting the police involved? Harrassment, possibly assault... build your history.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Just two words: molotov cocktail
    One word: move.

Or, let it all go and befriend him, somehow.

In this, if you're right you lose and if you win you lose. It's lose / lose proposition no matter the outcome of any efforts, any lawyering. Ultimately, what you want is to enjoy your home, right? Why dump time and efforts and energy into a guaranteed lose / lose situation?

I'd find any avenue for the win, and focus there.

Sorry to hear this, it would truly suck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    your mom in law fits the perfect fit for an elderly person at risk. Get the loca LEOS in with some complaints. Felonies and ****. That will help with the court order being next. Can't tyupe on pain kiillers. ****.
    WTF

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    One word: move.

Or, let it all go and befriend him, somehow.

In this, if you're right you lose and if you win you lose. It's lose / lose proposition no matter the outcome of any efforts, any lawyering. Ultimately, what you want is to enjoy your home, right? Why dump time and efforts and energy into a guaranteed lose / lose situation?

I'd find any avenue for the win, and focus there.

Sorry to hear this, it would truly suck.
    I hear ya. I ignored it for a while. Then when they switched HOA management companies, all of a sudden I started getting violation notices. So, I went to him, knocked on his door and asked him why we couldn't talk it over mano y mano. He was in a defensive stance the whole time. Granted I can be a little rough on words sometimes, but I wasn't. I was very calm and positive. As his voice elevated, I remained even toned. When he refused to stop the attack on me, I told him I would discuss it with the HOA. Then he slammed the door on me. That was about a year and a half ago. It ended (or so I thought) after I fought the HOA BoD. You can't imagine what I exposed. So, he was quiet for about 8 months and then he went on the rampage again the other day.

There is a lot here. I could spend days talking about it. It is a bad situation, but I am not going to move. I like my house and I like the community. He happens to be the one out of place as everyone there is young with kids, pets, and jobs. He is retired. I have talked to my neighbors. They are with me on this.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    HOA's are the devil.
    Completely un-american to begin with.
    have you tried getting the police involved? Harrassment, possibly assault... build your history.
    AMEN! HOA's are evil and this one is rotten to the core. They even went as far as changing the meeting code of conduct an hour before the meeting. Luckily I brought the one that was posted on the Website with me. You should have seen the look on their faces when I took it out and asked how it changed that day. One of the directors was crying because I caught them in a lie. That was the night I recorded the meeting on video (which is was why they changed the rules right before it and tried to tell me the rule against recording was always there). You have no idea what these people have done. It is very scary and the power they have is pretty much unlimited.

It's a story best told over beer, a lot of beer!

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers

We talkin party at Schnauzers?
    Raise the roof, and the neighbors temper!
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    AMEN! HOA's are evil and this one is rotten to the core. They even went as far as changing the meeting code of conduct an hour before the meeting. Luckily I brought the one that was posted on the Website with me. You should have seen the look on their faces when I took it out and asked how it changed that day. One of the directors was crying because I caught them in a lie. That was the night I recorded the meeting on video (which is was why they changed the rules right before it and tried to tell me the rule against recording was always there). You have no idea what these people have done. It is very scary and the power they have is pretty much unlimited.

Google HOA horror stories. It will piss you off for sure. They can put liens on your house and more. Record everything. You do not need the other party's permission to record a conversation in Colorado. Keep your recorder hidden. Fighting HOA's is tough. HOA's are the devil. Reminds me of congress.
    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/is_it_l...one_calls.html

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    We talkin party at Schnauzers?
    Raise the roof, and the neighbors temper!

Just stuck a fresh pony of Dugana in the kegerator!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast