Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OT "Native"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

OT "Native"

So I am new here, but one thing that I keep noticing is the whole "Native" thing. I see it on bumper stickers, I see it on some other forums that I go to, and I hear it from the actual natives when I ask them where they are from.

Now I know it is cool to be proud of your roots, but to me it seems like having this bumper sticker and telling me that you are a native means that you are better than me because I am not "from" here. It seems like they are trying to set themselves apart from the non-natives....

I dont know, not that big of a deal, just wondering some of your thoughts on this...Even the natives.

I am proud to live here, and I am also proud that I was raised in Nebraska, but I never put a native Nebraska corn field bumper sticker on my car.

Jason

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Seriously - it's not worth talking about. All talking about it accomplishes is setting off a $hitstorm of blather.

Trust me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason76
    it seems like having this bumper sticker and telling me that you are a native means that you are better than me because I am not "from" here.
    See you do understand it.

friend of Apex
    Now I know it is cool to be proud of your roots,
    Yes, I think he understands perfectly

Agreed - the stickers are ghey

I am proud to live here,
    that's all that really matters

Last edited by WKD-RDR; 02-21-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Rolling
    It's because Colorado Natives are so rare.

BTW, the next level up from having a native sticker is to have a pioneer plate. Native stickers are for the poseurs.

(PS: I'm not a native of CO).

So I am new here...
    You're new here!!!

Who the f**k left the gate open again?

Boy did you step in it. Ignore the idiot "native" stickers. I know many cool "natives" and none of them have "native" stickers. They wouldn't be caught dead with one.

Enjoy CO!

Ed

PS - I am not a "native".

Let There Be Dirt
    The Colorado State Patrol allows them an extra 5 mph over the speed limit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I thought this was going to open a whole lot of bashing, but I am enjoying the responses. Funny stuff.

Jason

Living the High Life
    What if you're a Native American, but not from CO; however you live here now?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

..ouch
    So I am new here, but one thing that I keep noticing is the whole "Native" thing.
    It's the mental equivalent of W proclaiming he's "proud to be a Texan". Let the little folks bask in their self-importance.

Just remove the "t" to understand the true meaning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ...but I never put a native Nebraska corn field bumper sticker on my car.
    Of course you wouldn't.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    It's the mental equivalent of W proclaiming he's "proud to be a Texan".
    DING! We have the answer, please come forward and collect your prise...

its one of those stickers that looks like the native ones but says tourist
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Let There Be Dirt

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Funny part in that the "Native" bumper stickers are made and sold by folks that are from Utah...cracks me up every time I see one....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well sure, they sell something for everyone.

I have a "I grew up on Lake Ontario before I realized WTF was going on" sticker, but it's not on my car...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Now with 10% more!
    What if I double my "Native" sticker with a "No Vacancy" sticker?

hehe ...you said "member"
    As a 5th generation "native" whose family homesteaded what is now part of north Jeffco, I am firmly of the opinion those stickers are moronic. "Native": good for you! That's something your parents chose and really has nothing to do with you.

CO is beautiful and IMO, the best place to live. Whether you were born here or just moved here yesterday, welcome! Now let's go ride/ski/hike (or any other fun outdoor activity) and follow it up with any of the dozens of world-class microbrews we have brewed right here (typing with a 90 Shilling half empty after my ride )

OT sorf of- now the people driving around CO with Raiders stickers, that's a whole different type of moron
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

percocet pioneer.
    colorado is the best state in the nation so the natives are better people from the second they were born. I'm not a native and I can accept the fact that the natives are cooler than I am, why can't you?

<100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    What if you're a Native American, but not from CO; however you live here now?
    I am a Native American. I was born in Pittsburgh. My ancestors however, were a bunch of immigrants.

mtbr member
    Those Native stickers crack me up. I know plenty of people who are natives and take for granted the fact that they live in this beautiful state. I'd actually argue (if we were going to have this ridiculous argument ) that its the folks who CHOSE to move here that appreciate it more.

I personally like the "Not a NATIVE but got here as quick as I could" stickers.

Let There Be Dirt
    I was born in Colorado, so was my Dad. But my Mom was born in Missouri and moved here when she was 9 ( 1947). My Dad and I don't appreciate living here as much as she does, so I think you have a good point.

I don't know anyone who has one of those goofy bumper stickers. I see them on the highway though. When I pass them and they see I don't have the sticker like they do, I bet they don't know I was born here too. I bet they think they're better than me. I'll have the last laugh though because a non-native will buy my car when I'm ready to sell it, but not his because they won't want to have to scrape that damn, stupid sticker off of the bumper.

Curious about the 'appreciation' thing. Is that a qualitative measurement or does the test have a numerical value? It makes me wonder, would someones 'Colorado Appreciation Quotient' be higher if they move from somewhere like Detroit, MI rather than relocating from Bend, OR ? Hey, I hear Bend is pretty cool. What if someone moved here from somewhere like Bend or maybe Livingston WY and thought Colorado sucked? Would they get a negative CAQ score? What happens to someones CAQ score over time? Does it go down the longer you've been here? I'll have to ask my Mom.

This thread has given me a lot of food for thought.

friend of Apex
    Native sticker = $2.00

Butthurt factor = Priceless
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Hairshirt Rider
    you need to fly one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I fly this

oh and I dont live in colorado anymore. I live in Texas, so I REALLY should fly this one on my car

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The "t" is silent...

Thinking...More like NAIVE..
    "Just moved to denver, any suggestions on what rubbers to use when i bang loose denver chicks ?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast