Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

OT: local job board

Can anyone recommend a reputable local job board? The bigger national boards are practically useless...

Thanks.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    Can anyone recommend a reputable local job board? The bigger national boards are practically useless...

Thanks.
    You have to learn to search better on the national boards. I have always had good luck with careerbuilder.com. But, it's like picking through the clearance racks. You have to be patient and look at everything.

What type of work are you looking for? I'll be posting a Network Engineer (CCNA) position in a couple of weeks.

Slopestyle Rider
    craigslist... seriously. There are so many actual jobs posted there it's not even funny. The best part is, it cuts out the recruiter. Hellz yeah.

My leg feels funny
    If you're looking for a computer job you can also try out the rocky mountain internet users group

http://www.rmiug.org/

Edit: Just check under the email lists for jobs

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Local job board?

Yes, craigslist. However, right now is a tough time to be looking - depending on what you do.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    craigslist... seriously. There are so many actual jobs posted there it's not even funny. The best part is, it cuts out the recruiter. Hellz yeah.
    +1.. it's harder to automate the interface for posting positions to Craigslist (vs the automated feeds kicked to Monster, Careerbuilder, etc) so it tends to get more manual postings, which an HR person is only likely to bother doing if the job is a legit need.

Also, look for niche sites and forums specific to your profession.

Check out: theladders.com (for senior level roles), jobcentral.com, simplyhired.com, indeed.com

Finally.. compile a list of companies you'd like to work for then hop on LinkedIn.com and start aggressively making some contacts.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Check out: theladders.com (for senior level roles)
    So much spam, so, so much spam.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    So much spam, so, so much spam.
    Sure.. b/c I benefit somehow from this..?

He asked for recommendations.. I gave him some based on my experiences as an employer.

My leg feels funny
    Sure.. b/c I benefit somehow from this..?

He asked for recommendations.. I gave him some based on my experiences as an employer.
    I wasn't sending that as a jab to you, just a warning to him I hopped on that site just to see what was out there and it has some good stuff but they send you tons (IMO) of email.

Yappy little dog!
    I wasn't sending that as a jab to you, just a warning to him I hopped on that site just to see what was out there and it has some good stuff but they send you tons (IMO) of email.
    They do send a lot of email and most of their jobs are aggregated from other sites. But, when they do have a unique posting it is often very good and someone always calls you. In my experience at least.

..ouch
    Ahhhh... my bad. Good point. When I've used the site I make sure to turn off all my email preferences. I wouldn't even recommend subscribing at first.. they give you just enough info on the job you can probably figure it out yourself with a little research.

My leg feels funny
    Ahhhh... my bad. Good point. When I've used the site I make sure to turn off all my email preferences. I wouldn't even recommend subscribing at first.. they give you just enough info on the job you can probably figure it out yourself with a little research.
    No problem man.

When I got on the site I wasn't all that serious about finding a new job so instead of digging around their application too deep I just killed my account after a week. If there's a no-email check box then it's probably bearable. I work at HP now, they haven't completely kicked me in the nuts yet so I don't feel like dealing with the 'new job' pains. I just wanted to see what others wanted out there. To the OP (or anyone out there) when our team has something opened up we have a hellish time finding people with Linux skills.

..ouch
    To the OP (or anyone out there) when our team has something opened up we have a hellish time finding people with Linux skills.
    There's plenty of folks around with Linux skills. The challenge is finding ones that want to work in big-corp America.. and that know how to dress, or shower, or talk.

My leg feels funny
    There's plenty of folks around with Linux skills. The challenge is finding ones that want to work in big-corp America.. and that know how to dress, or shower, or talk.
    I work from home and I'm an engineer so none of those apply to me

..ouch
    I work from home and I'm an engineer so none of those apply to me
    At least you figured it out long enough for the final interview.. you'd be surprised how many folks find that a challenge.

what nice teeth you have
    For engineering (and energy/powerplant) jobs I like thinkjobs.com. Mainly cause of the layout and ease of search. Haven't had any luck with it though as far as a job search goes.

My leg feels funny
    At least you figured it out long enough for the final interview.. you'd be surprised how many folks find that a challenge.
    So true, there's been a few times our job requisitions were about to expire so we ended up hiring the least idiotic person and hoped we could just get them up to speed. Its never worked out but at least when you fill a job req and that person leaves, the req opens back up. I know thats effed up but seriously, finding someone with enterprise Linux experience has been pretty hard sometimes. I try to look at job interviews as dates except if it goes well I hope I don't have breakfast with the people I interview with

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    So true, there's been a few times our job requisitions were about to expire so we ended up hiring the least idiotic person and hoped we could just get them up to speed. Its never worked out but at least when you fill a job req and that person leaves, the req opens back up. I know thats effed up but seriously, finding someone with enterprise Linux experience has been pretty hard sometimes. I try to look at job interviews as dates except if it goes well I hope I don't have breakfast with the people I interview with

I'll let you know next time I'm looking for employment.

..ouch
    I try to look at job interviews as dates except if it goes well I hope I don't have breakfast with the people I interview with
    Good philosophy.. it'll keep you out of trouble better than hiring the ones you would want to have breakfast with.

skillz to pay billz
    for design and marketing:

craigslist.com
    krop.com
    thedenveregotist.com

mtbr member

thanks

Thanks for all the input. IMHO, craigslist is not the same outside of the Bay Area (where I'm coming from). It's actually stellar here, but in other locations it's, well, lame when it comes to senior level sales gigs. (That might not necessarily apply to other fields.) That's the reason I posted this question. I've used all of the usual suspects (Ladders, etc) but I was hoping there might be a locally focused board that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks again for the insight.

The search continues...

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    What field are you looking at anyway?

mtbr member
    Try jobing.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    What field are you looking at anyway?
    senior level sales, it seems

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    senior level sales, it seems
    I glazed over that part. Whoops. Reciting/listening to Spanish and reading English = bad idea. I'm listening to a first aid lesson right now so if I eat some bad street food I'm covered.

Anyway, I was confused as everyone was posting up random job boards. I'd have no idea as to where to look for a sales job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast