mtbr member

OT-Junk it or recycle for money?

Moving outta my house and I have a few old junky beginner forks and four useless frames? Thought about just leaving outside so some one can pick it up to recycle, but then got to thinking that's at least 45 lbs of metal I can recycle and make a couple bucks to buy some spare tubes, patch kits and such little spare parts/accessories. Never recycled metal before, will they even take the frames and forks as they are? What do yall think, worth my time to recycle or just leave for others to take?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It takes energy to turn a lump of metal into a frame, you can conserve energy by keeping that frame in circulation as a bike. Then again, if you recycle at least its not in the landfill and you'll make a few bucks - assuming they are aluminum. If these are steel frames, put 'em on the street.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    It takes energy to turn a lump of metal into a frame, you can conserve energy by keeping that frame in circulation as a bike. Then again, if you recycle at least its not in the landfill and you'll make a few bucks - assuming they are aluminum. If these are steel frames, put 'em on the street.
    All four are aluminum. One is a hardtail that died in a garage vs. bike incident. The other 2 are an old NRS and an old Stumpjumper an one other hardtail. Do I have to break down the 2 fs frames or can I just take it there as is. The forks are steel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pretty sure you'd need to break it down - maybe your local recycler has a website?

mtbr member
    I'd be willing to pick them up.

Your bike is incorrigible
    When I volunteered for Community Cycles, they had a trailer they would fill with scrap metal: broken frames, walmart frames, wheels trashed beyond repair, etc. They never broke anything down, just took it as is to the recycler. However, I'm thinking now they might not have been trying to get money out of it. A couple of frames really wouldn't be worth it. You'd spend more money on gas than you'd get back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    BTW I have a buddy who could use a bike, and I have enough extra parts lying around to build one - except for the frame and a few other things like a bottom bracket. If you decide to let those frames go, I'd like to come by and pick one up from you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Heck, I could use a steel fork to throw on my old Kona that met the garage, so if you have one with an 1 1/8" steere, I'd give you 5 bucks for it.

not actually bad :)
    ^^^ Dibs on the 2nd one.
    Lemme know.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Find your nearest co-op and donate! Here in Fort Collins, our co-op turns any good frame into a cheap bike for someone who needs it. I know Denver has a bike co-op. You can check off your good deed for the week that way.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by jonzinmj
    Find your nearest co-op and donate! Here in Fort Collins, our co-op turns any good frame into a cheap bike for someone who needs it. I know Denver has a bike co-op. You can check off your good deed for the week that way.
    Boulder Sports Recycler is another way. You can consign them or just give them away.

friend of Apex
    Definately donate the frame as a bike, not metal.
    I'm sure someone can use it, and its way better than a Wally Mart bike frame

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Some one has dibs on the fs frames already. One hardtail frame met it's death running into the garage.

Ansible-the other frame is a small aluminum with only v-brakes. Has splined bottom bracket installed but it won't thread all the in, comes up about 2 mm short. Other than that it's in good shape.

TCR1 & Andy-My wife must've left the forks by the curb cuz they're gone. The only one I have left is an old RST clunky suspension fork. It's yours free if you want it. TCR1 has first dibs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Ansible-the other frame is a small aluminum with only v-brakes. Has splined bottom bracket installed but it won't thread all the in, comes up about 2 mm short. Other than that it's in good shape.
    Thx kosayno - I'm looking for more a large or xl. I'm sure there's a home for it though!