mtbr member

OT: Internal geared hub for old cruiser - retrofit

Yes - a bit off topic. I'm wondering if anyone here on the front range knows where I can go to get an internal geared hub (maybe build a wheel) AND have the spacing on an old steel frame cold set with wider spacing to accomodate the wider hub?

Specs:
    Current spacing 110mm
    steel frame
    would like 7 or 8 speed (but may settle for 3 if the spacing on the 7/8 spd hubs are too wide to stretch from 110)

Anyone completed a project like this? know any shops that work on old cruisers?

I think there are some Sturmey Archer hubs with 118 or 120 spacing?? Ideas??

Thanks!!

Diggity Dog
    The newer Sturmey's aren't near as good as the SRAM's.

I'd possibly check into a Spectro P5 5 speed hub. They are spaced for the older frames at 122 OLN. Jenson has them for about $125 and the shifter is another $30.

This is the set up I'm going to use on an older cruiser when I get around to it.

friend of Apex
    You may be able to space the frame your self.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

OT? shoot, this is bikes, not lookin for work. I'd say on topic
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    You may be able to space the frame your self.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

OT? shoot, this is bikes, not lookin for work. I'd say on topic
    I guess I meant off "MTB FRONT RANGE" topic. Maybe I shoulda done a "best internally geared hub for the front range" instead?

I looked at the Sheldon Brown tutorial on spacing the frame and I might just do that. So then I just need to decide on a hub that has the biggest gear range and the narrowest spacing (with a coaster brake would be best too - as I don't want to have to deal with adding rim brakes).

Goat of Legend
    Dan, I've got my Alfine laced to a 700c DT Swiss TK7.1D rim for sale. The rim is disc only though so you'd have to braze a mount. PM me if your interested.

MGE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Dan, I've got my Alfine laced to a 700c DT Swiss TK7.1D rim for sale. The rim is disc only though so you'd have to braze a mount. PM me if your interested.

MGE
    Thx Jeremy!

I think the Alfine is not ideal for my plan... I am looking for narrower spaced and am hoping to go with a coaster brake (so that I don't have to deal with any other cables or braze mounts).

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Yes - a bit off topic. I'm wondering if anyone here on the front range knows where I can go to get an internal geared hub (maybe build a wheel) AND have the spacing on an old steel frame cold set with wider spacing to accomodate the wider hub?

Specs:
    Current spacing 110mm
    steel frame
    would like 7 or 8 speed (but may settle for 3 if the spacing on the 7/8 spd hubs are too wide to stretch from 110)

Anyone completed a project like this? know any shops that work on old cruisers?

I think there are some Sturmey Archer hubs with 118 or 120 spacing?? Ideas??

Thanks!!
    I've got an old 3sp SA wheel and shifter here for you if you want. Believe it's 110 as well.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO