mtbr member
    Apr 2004

OT: I tried a new beer today. Is that Off Topic?

I was at Total Bev at 92nd and Sheridan today. Going blind at my computer, staring at my monitor for hours, I'd finally had enough and ran out the door. Where to? The liquor store of course!

I went over to the high dollar "Lost Abbey" etc shelves and decided to study what a bunch of money would buy me. A lot of sours, a lot of...heck, I don't know, but they cost a lot. A guy was there and we started chatting. My first comment was "so many beers, so little money". Turned out this guy was a rep for a Colorado brewer and was just in the store to do business. Dude knew his stuff and we talked for a long time. Any bottle I pointed to, he had a story.

When he heard me say I'm an IPA guy, he didn't steer me to his company's brew, he steered me towards (among others) Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, a Black Rye IPA. And "affordable" at under $6. Well, I got home, popped the cap and...dam. You gotta try this stuff.

OT: I tried a new beer today.  Is that Off Topic?-1-dscn2738.jpg
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Firestone has a quality lineup. Try their Union Jack and Double Jack.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Thats good stuff, but Grainstorm from Boulevard is my favorite Black IPA by far..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I did awhile back but didn't like those nearly as much as this Wookey. This stuff is really really good. But, ya know, I'm more of a $7.49/six pack kind of beer drinker, this was a bit expensive but you'd pay this in a taproom.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sh!t, more Black IPA to try. When will it ever end?

I was at Vine St. a few months ago. They'd just tapped a Belgium Style Black IPA and a Sour Black IPA. They poured me a sampler of each and...and...I'm still in heaven over the awesomeness of those two. Ummm, beer.

OT: I tried a new beer today.  Is that Off Topic?-04-dsc_4054_dxo.jpg

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I did awhile back but didn't like those nearly as much as this Wookey. This stuff is really really good. But, ya know, I'm more of a $7.49/six pack kind of beer drinker, this was a bit expensive but you'd pay this in a taproom.
    funny how tastes differ.. I have had a couple really good ones here and there they I didn't remember the names of.. vine st is great..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wookey is good stuff. Yummmmm.

Awesomist™

OT: I tried a new beer today. Is that Off Topic?

Don't kid yourself, you'll pay twice to thrice that for a Wookey Jack in a taproom. Man is it delicious though...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Chairman of the Beard
    Oh yes, this is threadworthy. Will have to pick some up for Sunday.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    Oh yes, this is threadworthy. Will have to pick some up for Sunday.
    I didn't check to see if this was available in a six pack, I just grabbed the bomber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't check to see if this was available in a six pack, I just grabbed the bomber.
    I've only seen it in bomber and kegs. I'd buy more if they sold it in 12 oz. bottles. A bomber is a little much for me at one sitting but I always manage to suffer through it.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Wookie Jack is pouring at Pasta Vino in Boulder and on happy hour it's like $5 a pour.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I went back for another one today...just had to have another one, ya know? I'm in the high dollar bomber section again, checking out what else is available if money is no object. I espied a bottle of something for $32. What? As I was rubbing my eyes to look again a guy stepped up next to me, checking out the goods as well. Turns out he was buying brews for some book club his wife holds monthly and he was buying. And he was into IPAs like me. I looked at his cart.

He had Dogfish Head 90 Minute, Stone Ruination...the list was endless of this guy's good taste. No cases of Bud Light or Hazed and Confused or Fat Tire here, the guy had good taste in brews. I talked him into trying a six pack of Avery New World Porter. I took my one bomber of Wookey Jack.

I saw that Boulevard Grainstorm at Total Bev. Next time. The guy and I met at the checkout counters. I saw his tally going up and up and up...he walked out with $350 worth of IPA goodness for his wife's book club meeting. I had my Wookey. Life is good.

OT: I tried a new beer today.  Is that Off Topic?-1-2-dsc_5043wookeyinglassonwhitebackgroundwithbottle.jpg

gotta get up to get down
    OT: I tried a new beer today.  Is that Off Topic?-dsc_0078.jpg

trying this right now, stuff is tasty

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Vine street last night.. mmmm... bourbon aged stout.. so good.
    BBZ

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Wookie Jack is pouring at Pasta Vino in Boulder and on happy hour it's like $5 a pour.

_MK
    hmmm, that's half a block from my office.... black IPAs are my favorite.

Now with 10% more!
    Tried the Wookey Jack on Saturday at The Mayor of Fort Collins. Very good stuff, thanks for the recommendation!