mtbr member
    May 2006

OT: headhunters in Denver area?

Sorry if this is an innapropriate place to post this... but i could use some help and am running short on ideas. I have been trying to move to the Denver area for about 3 months now... the only thing putting a damper on the whole situation is that I am having a hell of a time finding a job (perhaps it is the Wisconsin address on my resume?). Can anyone recommend a good headhunter that you or someone you know has had experience with? I am hoping to be out there for ski season (Novemberish) and could use all the help i can get at this point.

I am currently working as a financial/business analyst at a mid-cap bank (a little over 2 years professional experience). I am a big fan of the whole financial/business analyst role and would hope for something similar... be it in banking or another field.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Nick

I can send out my resume if anyone wants to pm an email address.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Just move, Pvssy!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Just move, Pvssy!!
    I hate you

Hairshirt Rider
    Well, there is this guy who posts here every now and again, let's see, what was his screen name........? Oh yeah, he goes by Headhunter.

Good luck

old enough to know better

check your PM

I'll be up at the LT100 this weekend with all the other endurance wackos and Black Sheep cultists. After that I'll be happy to help out as much as I can.

Rolling
    Hmmmm.....

I heard the newspapers run job ads, as well as Craigs list, monster dot com,......on and on and on and on.

Mtbr job ads might not be so effective for looking for jobs as it is for bikes.

BTW, did you know that headhunters look for you and you don't look for them? That is why they are called that. So if you aren't getting headhunters at your door, you need a new game.

When I hired peeps in the past, I didn't think their need for skiing was a top priority for the projects I had in mind.

Shattering Glass
    If you understood what Colorado stood for you would rather be here and broke than elsewhere and rich. Just pull the trigger and be happy!

Shattering Glass
    Whoops, I must have been stoned..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Man, rough crowd over here. Anyway, thanks HH. If you pm me an email address i can shoot a resume your way. Would appreciate any help you can offer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Profit and Loss analyst open at an oil company based here in Denver. I know this because it's my old position.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Just move, Pvssy!!
    I just up and moved from WI last summer. My wife is going to CU for grad school so we just moved, the credit cards took a pretty good hit while I looked for a job for more than a month.

But it was totally worth it, I'm never moving back. I mt biked and snowboarded before I moved, but now I can't even think of snowboarding or downhilling without CO. Wisconsin has nice XC, but there's about 100x more trails here.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Security is overrated. Just move.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Security is overrated. Just move.
    Agreed, it will be much easier to find a job if you just move here and you bike while looking. Win win.

mtbr member
    If you want to ski, I'd move here in November, *then* kinda/sorta start looking for a job (provided you have a couple months living expenses in the bank, of course). Skiing's way more fun when you're unemployed and can go on the weekdays. You could hopefully start working as spring hits, and I don't find that working hinders riding nearly as much since it's light late enough that even I (with my current stoopid hours) can ride after work.

mtbr member
    Just a thought too, but have you consider using a Denver address of like a friend or family member on your resume. It might help to get some calls??

Anyway Good luck!
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Bizzaro World

Telemang,

Hey thatís funny; we must be in bizarro land. I am looking for jobs in Milwaukee and have the same trouble finding a job. Finding a job takes awhile. I say you sell everything you can and move out here.
    I am moving in September, my wife got into grad school at University of Wisconsin. What area are you from? Where do you all ride and what SS gearing do folks ride out there?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005

a few tips..

hey telemang,

i work in tech recruiting so i don't see to many opportunities in the finance space, but here are a few tips for you.

1) Post your resume/profile on Monster, DICE and Careerbuilder.
    2) If you don't need relocation assistance, make it very clear that you are willing to relocate yourself. I don't know of too many companies that will fork over a 10-20k package to relocate unless you are "C" level.
    3) Use a Denver or CO address. When Recruiters/Headhunters are searching for potential candidates, they will look for local candidates first and most times ONLY local candidates.
    4) Google a few firms in Denver that specialize in Finance or Accounting Recruiting. Robert Half is one that comes to mind. Here's a link as well

http://www.i-recruit.com/drecruiters_type_finance.htm

Good Luck man..@! Colorado is a helluva place to be..

P"

holding back the darkness

hijacking alert:

Wisco folk unite! I too am here from the land of milk and honey. Appleton area. Five years and counting. Soon the whole state will be ours! (Insert maniacal laughter here).
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleMang
    Sorry if this is an innapropriate place to post this... but i could use some help and am running short on ideas.
    Start doing some research on Denver area companies that you'd want to work for or would typically employ your skills and then hop on LinkedIn.com and start making some contacts at those co's.

Headhunters typically charge their client companies a fee equal to approx 20% of the first year salary of the person being hired. Unless you're senior enough, or have a niche enough skill set that a company would be willing to pony up the fee for your expertise then you're probably better off just getting aggressive about making your own contacts.. Job hunting is at least 50% who you know and who knows you..

As PW also mentioned, make it clear you're able to fund your own relocation quickly so potential employers know you're not expecting them to fund a relo package or going to need months before you can start a new gig. Getting a Denver area PO Box for the resume address wouldn't hurt.

DenverDH'er
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleMang
    Man, rough crowd over here. Anyway, thanks HH. If you pm me an email address i can shoot a resume your way. Would appreciate any help you can offer.

Not everyone, just some of these guys have "anger managment" issues. Ride on!