Big Boned

OT Good Physical / Massage Therapist w/cycling knowlege?

I've been having problems with my left hip / glute / hammy for quite some time. Been stretching, doing yoga poses, and lots of silly exercises using resistance bands, and it helps, but I think I've reached the limit of self-treatment.

The problem is intermittent, but when it flares up, I get pain in my hammy, and my shin/top of my foot loses some sensation. Clearly a sciatic nerve issue of some sort, probably stemming from the length disparity of my legs -- my left leg is a good inch shorter than my right, so my saddle height is always a compromise between the two. Hours of pedaling through that compromise have now taken their toll.

Anyway, my doctor wrote me a script for PT. I'd like to find someone good, who knows sports medicine or cycling issues, and hopefully isn't located on the other side of nowhere. Someone who can help me stretch and work my hip and hammy to loosen things up. Golden / Lakewood would be best. I know there's the sports medicine place up in Boulder, but that's a haul from our house.

Anyone got a recco?
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Yappy little dog!
    And a happy ending?

I couldn't resist.

Thread Terrorist
    Christina at Golden Physical Therapy did a great job on my knee last year. What was thought to have been a torn meniscus turned out to be mostly muscular. She fixed it right up in a month plus. I don't know that she's the best out there, but she did a good job on my knee.

I thought you were in Austin now-a-days.

Oh, So Interesting!
    One of my friends is a very good PT and mtb'er, but works in Louisville. PM me if you want more info.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Oh, So Interesting!
    ----------------------

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Christina at Golden Physical Therapy did a great job on my knee last year. What was thought to have been a torn meniscus turned out to be mostly muscular. She fixed it right up in a month plus. I don't know that she's the best out there, but she did a good job on my knee.

I thought you were in Austin now-a-days.

Thank you sir, that sounds like a potential option. I had a torn meniscus scoped a few years ago. Surgery and rehab kept me off the bike for two months. My outcome was excellent, but I had an excellent surgeon -- he'd also worked on Lebron James and Scotty Pippen, so I was in good hands. But I've heard horror stories. Count yourself lucky you avoided it. Even minimally invasive surgery is still surgery.

We escaped Austin last spring. Moving there was the Worst Decision Ever™. Now we're splitting time between Colorado and Chicago (the ancestral home of my people) until we can transition back here permanently.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    And a happy ending?

I couldn't resist.
    No man can resist a happy ending.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sure does sound like a nerve problem. You could ice your lower back for 20 minutes and see if the pain decreases, if it does then it might be a spine impingement. Worth a try.

Thread Terrorist
    Good to hear Bill. Lets ride soon when you heal up.

...although as of today, I now have a very F'ed up back (Pulled two muscles this morning)... RATS!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE

Anyone got a recco?[/QUOTE]

http://www.wellnessofboulder.com/sara-berg.htm

Her husband is professional mtn biker and coach.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    More up in the Loveland/Fort Collins area and while I have not (yet) made avail of their services they are active cyclists/athletes themselves, and as friends I know they are good peeps:

http://www.diamondpeakpt.com/

http://www.core-therapy.com/

Good luck!

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    Sure does sound like a nerve problem. You could ice your lower back for 20 minutes and see if the pain decreases, if it does then it might be a spine impingement. Worth a try.
    Tried ice, tried heat. No help. Stretching and massage are the only things that help.

No pain in my lower back, it's all in my butt, hip, hammy and shin. Doctor doesn't think it's a disc based on exams. Haven't had an xray or MRI, though. But I don't have that shooting / burning pain that's usually associated with disc issues, and I have pretty good range of motion. I have more of a throbbing muscle-tension kind of pain in my hip/hammy, and the numbness/tingling in my shin/ankle/foot, along the pereoneal branch of the sciatic.

The theory is that it's an imbalance involving my glute and piriformis caused by improper leg extension during pedaling, which has led to spasms that impinge my sciatic nerve.

not actually bad :)
    Oh great Dense one - check your PM - just sent u one.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm sorry to hear it's so bad and you have already done a lot of research on what the causes could be. I've had a ton of patients who complain of hip pain that turns out to be in their back and that's why I suggested you try to ice the back. I've heard good things about Golden PT, but I'm sure any orthopedic PT will be able to help. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jason Cherry at Belmar Physical Therapy does great work and he's a rider.

http://belmarpt.com/
    Less yap, more dig

Thread Terrorist
    This thread has uncanny timing. I have one pulled muscle and an inflamed disk pinching nerves! WTF? Getting old sucks.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Dan in Loveland ...Advance Body Work...663-6501 He took care of me....Awesome work!!
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    I'm sorry to hear it's so bad and you have already done a lot of research on what the causes could be. I've had a ton of patients who complain of hip pain that turns out to be in their back and that's why I suggested you try to ice the back. I've heard good things about Golden PT, but I'm sure any orthopedic PT will be able to help. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I've tried just about everything. The thing about my hip pain is that it's definitely localized within the muscle. It just always feels like I'm always recovering from one heII of a workout.

It's not super painful, just very annoying, particularly the numbness. I'd put it at a 3 out of 10, kind of a dull ache that doesn't subside. Advil does the job on the ache, but nothing helps the numbness except really intense stretching. Particularly the pigeon pose.

I've been poked and prodded quite a bit. This has been going on for over a year. Based on all the poking and prodding, my doctor thinks it's not a disc issue. The theory is piriformis syndrome (?).

I originally thought it might be a disc problem, because that's pretty much the first suspect for sciatic issues. But my problem doesn't fit the pattern -- no unusual lower back pain, no issues with range of motion or bending over or rotation, and it doesn't get worse if I'm sitting down. And stretching helps, which is usually not true with disc problems. Basically, I don't have any of the problems you usually see in disc-related sciatica. Also, my core strength is pretty good now thanks to all the yoga.

Of course, without an MRI there's no way to know for sure. That would be the next step if PT doesn't help, along with a nerve function test to see if the impingement can be pinpointed. I'd love to avoid that if possible.

What's odd is that running helps quite a bit, as sick as that sounds. I've been running far more than I've been riding -- I'm up to 8 miles at a pop, and I love it. That's just wrong, I know. But that's why I'm open to the idea that it's muscular -- seems like the impact of running would be murder on a herniated disc. Once my hip loosens up after a good run and stretch, I feel great. If I don't stretch every day, it flares up. It's also worse in the morning than in the evening.

My whole hip / hammy area is just super super tight, to the point where I need help stretching because I just can't hold certain poses. That's what I'm hoping the PT will do for me -- just stretch me out better than I can manage on my own.

But it may not matter this summer, cuz I don't plan on pedaling too much once I get my new toy. Hehehe.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Getting old sucks.
    Yes. Yes it does. I sat down to do some military presses the other day and it sounded like I was making popcorn.

My advice is to drink. Heavily.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    Yes. Yes it does. I sat down to do some military presses the other day and it sounded like I was making popcorn.

My advice is to drink. Heavily.
    I'll drink to that!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How is your bike fit? Have you had one recently? I was having problems similar to yours, and discovered my seat had lowered itself a couple of inches.

I can recommend an awesome guy if you'd like to try that first.

Trinette - Denver Physical Therapy Downtown. 5 knee surgeries for me, and she's the best PT I've found (and a cyclist, too.). 303-892-8850
    See you on the trail!

Christy

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainTriGirl
    How is your bike fit? Have you had one recently? I was having problems similar to yours, and discovered my seat had lowered itself a couple of inches.

I can recommend an awesome guy if you'd like to try that first.

Trinette - Denver Physical Therapy Downtown. 5 knee surgeries for me, and she's the best PT I've found (and a cyclist, too.). 303-892-8850
    Thanks for the recco. It's not so much a matter of bike fit as it is -- I need custom shoes/orthotics that will compensate for the disparity between my leg lengths. Without that, saddle height is always a compromise.

In any case, that horse already left the barn -- I've ridden hard maybe 20 times in the past 6 months, but the problem persists.

hehe ...you said "member"
    MMD,
    sent you a PM.
    Heal quick!
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening