mtbr member

OT: Front Range Backpacking

Me and some college friends thought it would be a grand idea to take a backpacking trip after completing the school year. Unfortunately the mountains are still getting snowed on and we'd prefer a dry, not muddy, trip. Do any of you guys know of anywhere that would be good to go at this point for a fun three or four day trip?

Thanks in advance

PS. To appease the MTBR gods here's a picture of a bike

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    New Mexico?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    New Mexico?
    They might not have passports.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    You're out of Schlitz this year if you're looking for dry trails around here.

Closest would be the Sangre de Christos in either S CO or N NM.

mtbr member
    That's what I was afraid of....
    It doesn't seem logical to me to drive a full day for such a short trip.
    Sounds like the only logical conclusion is find somewhere beautiful and deal with whatever conditions arise. It is supposed to be backcountry and rugged after all.

mtbr member
    I like the Coilair, lol. You are smart to post that pic. You'll get your head ripped off around here without having something pertaining to mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Lost Creek Wilderness? It's southwest of Buff Creek, and I bet there's plenty dry down there. I plan on doing a long hike there over Memorial Weekend.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by ntekrony
    That's what I was afraid of....
    It doesn't seem logical to me to drive a full day for such a short trip.
    Sounds like the only logical conclusion is find somewhere beautiful and deal with whatever conditions arise. It is supposed to be backcountry and rugged after all.
    It's all beautiful, as long as you go prepared for the conditions.

The Sangres in CO are only ~3hrs from Denver.

Closer to home, plan on camping on top of snow, and getting your hiking done early in the day, before the snow turns into soup.

The day time temps can still be nice and warm, but nights will be below freezing, so make sure you have at least a 20F bag.

Obligatory BP'g shots

mtbr member
    Dominguez Canyon Wilderness, the only low altitude wilderness area in Colorado.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/gjfo/...inguezwsa.html

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, I'd say for minimal snow this time of year the Sangrees are the best bet. Just a thought but what about something on the plains? Aren't some of the grassland preserves pretty expansive/wild as well as fairly interesting?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, I'd say for minimal snow this time of year the Sangrees are the best bet. Just a thought but what about something on the plains? Aren't some of the grassland preserves pretty expansive/wild as well as fairly interesting (IE: not just flat plains)?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I think the Lost Creek idea has merit. *Might* be too much snow, though... the Kenosha Mts were still pretty covered up high last weekend when I saw them from the Buff Creek area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm specifically referring to the Lost Creek area southwest of Buffalo Creek- It's much lower in elevation than the Kenosha area and I have to imagine it has similar conditions to Buff Creek.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan
    I'm specifically referring to the Lost Creek area southwest of Buffalo Creek- It's much lower in elevation than the Kenosha area and I have to imagine it has similar conditions to Buff Creek.
    I know where you're talking about - for 3-4 days, though, you're going to end up at elevations over 11K feet... which I would *not* be surprised if they are still snowy.

lone rider
    Beartrack Lakes in the Mt Evans Wilderness maybe. You can start from Brook Forest on Cub Creek Trail, Upper Bear Creek or Echo Lake. Deer Creek north of Crow Hill on HWY 285 is another option for access. I think from Camp Rock Campground (9000ft.) would be the least snow.
    Last edited by big galoot; 05-13-2011 at 08:59 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The only thing in the area I can think of that would be pretty dry would be Lost Creek. If you hike in from the south (either Wigwam or Goose Creek trails), it should be pretty good. Are you looking to hike long mileage?, or hike in, set up camp, and stick around that area for a few days? Both of these trails are incredibly gorgeous also...great climbing opportunities if you're into that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    where are the images taken?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo
    where are the images taken?
    I'd like to take a guess...(1 & 2) Dana Plateau (3) Wind Rivers

Is that right Dave?

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by jjonas
    I'd like to take a guess...(1 & 2) Dana Plateau (3) Wind Rivers

Is that right Dave?
    All 3 from " The Winds".

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by plaidvillain
    The only thing in the area I can think of that would be pretty dry would be Lost Creek. If you hike in from the south (either Wigwam or Goose Creek trails), it should be pretty good. Are you looking to hike long mileage?, or hike in, set up camp, and stick around that area for a few days? Both of these trails are incredibly gorgeous also...great climbing opportunities if you're into that.
    +1 for the Goose Creek Trail. My wife and I did a BP trip last Memorial Day weekend and it's spectacular.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miagi
    +1 for the Goose Creek Trail. My wife and I did a BP trip last Memorial Day weekend and it's spectacular.
    Meh, it's alright out there.