pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

New question here. OT: Family activities in Breckenridge?

So we're headed up to Breckenridge (from Fort Collins) this Saturday - Tuesday for an extended family weekend. The main draw is the Firecracker 50 for me, but the wife is bringing her road bike and the kids (5 and 9) have their Camelbacks. Hoping the mtbr faithful that either live up there or have taken similar family trips can provide some ideas to help structure our weekend. Parameters are:

1) Wife would like to do a couple of road rides. Her standard local ride is ~20 miles + ~900 feet climbing, so something along those lines. Preferably starting from town, but driving her out somewhere is okay too.
    2) We're staying in a condo that is walking distance to downtown.
    3) Kids are good for hikes up to about 3 miles RT - a couple of suggested hikes would be great.
    4) Nearby historical sites or museums?
    5) Downtown family-friendly and inexpensive eating suggestions?
    6) Best cup of locally owned fru-fru coffee?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jradin; 06-27-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    5. There is a soup restaurant in the City Market strip mall that we like a lot, although I haven't been there for a year so I hope they are still open.

Swan mountain road to keystone looks like a great road ride, but it doesn't have much of a shoulder. I don't road, but there are always lots of riders on it.

slow
    1. Loop the Lake or out and back to Copper on the bike paths (or farther up Vail Pass if she is feeling ambitious).
    2. Playing in the stream downtown by the performing arts center is fun. The free public transportation is good all over Summit County, so you may not even need your car to get to other activities. Check out some of the touristy stuff at Peak 8.
    3. Not sure what is dry. (Burro Trail?)
    4. When we lived there, we liked to take out of town guests to the Country Boy Mine. Another neat spot is the dredge floating where Horseshoe Gulch meets the Swan River. Last time I was there, there was some interpretative information posted.
    5. Moved away too long ago to give a good answer. (I do like the salsa at Mi Casa, but don't know how their prices are anymore.)
    6. See #5

Maybe zrm will chime in here.

When you get there, pick up a free copy of the Summit Daily News, located in boxes throughout the county. It will give you information on activities throughout the county, especially with the holiday weekend approaching.

Have fun and good luck in the race. Make Fort Collins look good.
    MW

Inflexable...
    Daylight Donuts for breakfast. Inexpensive, and nothing fancy. Very locally owned.

Erics and Breck Brewery are both family and priced inexpensive for mountain prices. Empire Burger, Quandry Grill and Mi Casa are all pretty good and priced a little more. Rasta Pasta is good and servings go along way...there are actually pretty good choices.

Beer at Breck Brewery is $2 during happy hour...$6 pitchers...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for your quick responses kristian, sgltrak, and kchri.
    I think my wife will like the idea of road riding bikepaths in a new place so the trail to Copper may be just right.
    Wonder if the Rasta Pasta is the same as what we have here in FC? If so then that's an easy pick for the kids (and pre-race carb loading)! Will have to give the brewery a try as well.
    Country Boy Mine looks like a great way to spend an afternoon - we were just talking about touring a mine this past weekend.

mtbr member
    I just drove to Ft Collins from Florida for the Firecracker 50. We are doing almost the same thing. Last year we really enjoyed Breck so much on the 4th I had to come back for the race. 3rd time to Ft Collins this year. Thinking of moving out here one day. If it was only so easy.

Are there any good group rides in FT Collins? I brought the road bike with as well and would love to meet local cyclist.
    Mountain Bike http://www.mtbmike.com/Videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    So we're headed up to Breckenridge (from Fort Collins) this Saturday - Tuesday for an extended family weekend. The main draw is the Firecracker 50 for me, but the wife is bringing her road bike and the kids (5 and 9) have their Camelbacks. Hoping the mtbr faithful that either live up there or have taken similar family trips can provide some ideas to help structure our weekend. Parameters are:

1) Wife would like to do a couple of road rides. Her standard local ride is ~20 miles + ~900 feet climbing, so something along those lines. Preferably starting from town, but driving her out somewhere is okay too.
    2) We're staying in a condo that is walking distance to downtown.
    3) Kids are good for hikes up to about 3 miles RT - a couple of suggested hikes would be great.
    4) Nearby historical sites or museums?
    5) Downtown family-friendly and inexpensive eating suggestions?
    6) Best cup of locally owned fru-fru coffee?

Thanks!
    My kids are about the same age as yours, and they just love the activities at the base of the mountain.

http://www.breckenridge.com/peak-8-fun-park.aspx

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smace View Post
    I just drove to Ft Collins from Florida for the Firecracker 50. We are doing almost the same thing. Last year we really enjoyed Breck so much on the 4th I had to come back for the race. 3rd time to Ft Collins this year. Thinking of moving out here one day. If it was only so easy.

Are there any good group rides in FT Collins? I brought the road bike with as well and would love to meet local cyclist.
    I'm sure there are tons of road rides, but for off-road, there's this, at least:

http://www.overlandmtb.org/node/172

For this week it's the alternate route, which means starting at Blue Sky instead of Spring Canyon Park.

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/Parks/bluesky.htm

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In addition to all the stuff already mentioned, over the 4th there will be all kinds of kid friendly stuff at the riverwalk plaza. The river is running high so playing in the crick probably won't be a good idea.

Road Riding: A climbing shoulder for bikes was just added to the Breckenridge side of Swan Mtn Road and the bike path is complete on the Keystone side so riding around lake Dillon counterclockwise (Approx 32 miles, around 1000' climbing) is even more bike friendly (other than the mentioned section of Swan Mtn Road it's all bike path) You can also ride all the way to Vail is you wanted although Breck to Copper and back is a nice, fairly easy ride.You can also ride around in the roads Highlands subdivision in between Town and Tiger Road which has little traffic (bikes or cars). If she's willing to drive a ways, Go down Valley to Green Mtn reservoir and park at the intersection of Heeney Road and Hwy 9 and ride To Green Mtn Dam and back. Very Scenic and little traffic. Tons of other great road riding but all involves big climbs, high passes, etc..

Food: I'd also mention Amazing Grace at French and Lincoln for Breakfast/Lunch/coffee and the Angles Hollow on Ridge for food.

Barney Form and Edwin Carter Museums in town should be open over the weekend.

Hikes: The town has an incredible trail system. the Iowa Hill trail just to the south of town off Airport Rd (just beyond the town maintenance facility, near the Elementary school) is foot traffic only and is a historical interpretive trail and is pretty cool although it has some steep hills. You can also take nice short loop hikes in the Cucumber Gulch Preserve (Breckenridge Nordic Center), and the trail system above the Ice Rink. Check trail maps at the towns web site (Maps are also widely available in town) http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/index.aspx?page=520

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Awesome zrm, thanks!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    My advice - go unstructured.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    My advice - go unstructured.
    Agreed. Is being structured even an option when on vacation with kids? Maybe "informed" is a better word.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by smace View Post

Check out yourgroupride.com - Its Northern CO focused.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Agreed. Is being structured even an option when on vacation with kids? Maybe "informed" is a better word.
    "Informed"... I like that. Structure is rarely attained with kids. I like it.

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    "Informed"... I like that. Structure is rarely attained with kids. I like it.

Or adults, really...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri View Post
    Or adults, really...
    Well - we all know adults that *are*... but who wants to be one of those?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For food, prices and variety at Downstairs at Erics can't be beat they have a dozen or so video games to keep the kids entertained. Also Fatty;s Pizza on street east of the main drag is pretty good also. For breakfast they have a crepe only stand middle of town, get there early, its good and always a line.