Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Almost Human
    Sep 2007

OT: Electric Superbike wins PP

Electric moto wins PP Hill Climb today and sets new record. New race now that it's all paved.

This is from 2011 on PP.

And 215mph at Bonneville. Pretty cool stuff IMHO. The future of bicycles? maybe?

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Interesting approach. I guess it eliminates the performance loss that air breathing engines would experience as they get higher in altitude.

mtbr member
    According to the news, a car, driven by Sebastian Loeb, won the overall and set the new record.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    That race needs massive step ups and gap jumps on the pave.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    According to the news, a car, driven by Sebastian Loeb, won the overall and set the new record.
    On 2 wheels,
    Lightning electric motorcycle bests gas-powered bikes at Pikes Peak

"2013 marks the first time an electric bike's beaten its gas-powered rivals, with Carlin Dunne and Lightning Motorcycles finishing the race in 10 minutes 0.694 seconds -- ahead of Bruno Langlois who managed 10 minutes and 21.323 seconds on a Ducati Multistrada 1200 S."

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

The drivers say the course is more dangerous now that it is paved. Of course, the crotch rockets don't think so, but the cars drivers do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The future of bicycles? Well, since there are 200 Million electric bikes in China, I'd say you are a little late with that prognostication.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    On 2 wheels,
    Lightning electric motorcycle bests gas-powered bikes at Pikes Peak

"2013 marks the first time an electric bike's beaten its gas-powered rivals, with Carlin Dunne and Lightning Motorcycles finishing the race in 10 minutes 0.694 seconds -- ahead of Bruno Langlois who managed 10 minutes and 21.323 seconds on a Ducati Multistrada 1200 S."
    Well forgive my misunderstanding in how I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    OT: Electric Superbike wins PP

Electric moto wins PP Hill Climb today and sets new record. New race now that it's all paved.
    Perhaps I need some remedial reading training... or perhaps you could use a refresher in writing.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    The drivers say the course is more dangerous now that it is paved. Of course, the crotch rockets don't think so, but the cars drivers do.
    It sure has upped the speeds a lot. Plus you have thousands of people standing by the side of the road.I wonder if a car taking out a couple dozen people would be the end of the PPHC.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Interesting approach. I guess it eliminates the performance loss that air breathing engines would experience as they get higher in altitude.
    I'm going to guess that an electric bike also has a lot more torque/low end throttle response than a gas, piston engine. At a place like Pikes Peak with a lot of slow corners, that's huge

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I'm going to guess that an electric bike also has a lot more torque/low end throttle response than a gas, piston engine. At a place like Pikes Peak with a lot of slow corners, that's huge

Once you get to ~200 HP more HP does not really make motorcycles any faster around a track as the limiting factor is how fast they can go around the corners and that is determined by tire traction. MotoGP recently went from 800cc to 1000cc, and only a few track records were bettered with %25 more displacement. If you add more HP to a car they do get faster around a track, but that doesn't really happen with motorcycles.

I am quite impressed that the electric bike won, I don't think that was entirely due to power delivery though, my hunch is there is some other advantage to the electric bike as raw power doesn't really make moto's faster, lower CG maybe? I dunno, heir website is pretty slim on any real info on the bike.

Thread Terrorist
    I'm going to buy one of these and enter it in the Tour De France. In 4 years, I'll be busted for doping using electricity, lose my podium spot, get sued from sponsors and end up where I am right now.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    I am quite impressed that the electric bike won, I don't think that was entirely due to power delivery though, my hunch is there is some other advantage to the electric bike as raw power doesn't really make moto's faster, lower CG maybe? I dunno, heir website is pretty slim on any real info on the bike.
    Electric motors loose top end power at altitude also, so I'm guessing it's probably the higher torque at lower rpm's that let's it pull out of corners and accelerate harder. Dunno though.

And sorry for not clarifying the 2 wheel vs 4 wheel thing... the Gazette didn't even report the EV moto as the winner of the 2 wheel class, they gave the impression that the Ducati won and was fastest when it wasn't even close.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Yes. First and only sub-9 minute run up PP. Terrifying and awesome to watch:
    King of the Peak: Sebastien Loeb onboard POV video | Red Bull Motorsports

Loeb during tire testing... if you look closely it appears he's casually snapping a picture with his phone?

A fella I know through one of the guys on our Baja team has campaigned PPIHC for 7 years running. He was the Time Attack record holder in 2008, until that was beat in 2011 by Rod Millen (I think). This year something must have happened, he was off his projected goal time by a minute or more... he wound up 4th in Time Attack and 36th overall. Considering he's 100% privateer, built his own car, is chief mechanic and driver... that ain't bad. http://racekern.com/pikes-peak-2013-before/
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Motion activated
    Electric motors loose top end power at altitude also
    How? There is no combustion (requiring oxygen) in an electric motor.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    How? There is no combustion (requiring oxygen) in an electric motor.
    They cannot cool off as easily. IIRC it's about 1% less per 333 feet altitude gain over 3500 feet for an a/c motor.
    Not sure about a moto with a dc unit but I'm assuming there is some loss. Maybe its liquid cooled?

We typically used multiple 75+ hp motors on irrigation system pump stations. Have seen several burn up. That's how I know.

Motion activated
    Temps at 10-14K ft are going to counter any loss of cooling due to the thinner air on something moving as fast as a motorcycle.

A static irrigation pump might be a different story.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I'd watch that.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Yes. First and only sub-9 minute run up PP. Terrifying and awesome to watch:
    King of the Peak: Sebastien Loeb onboard POV video | Red Bull Motorsports
    Did you see his max heart rate was around 190 BPM during the race? Crazy! Cool video. No way I'd want to drive a car that fast up the Peak!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Temps at 10-14K ft are going to counter any loss of cooling due to the thinner air on something moving as fast as a motorcycle.

A static irrigation pump might be a different story.
    I don't know. That's a lot of heat.

You're probably right though. At least they say so in this article about Zero at PP this year.
    Zero Motorcycles And Hollywood Electrics Set Records At 2013 Pikes Peak Hill Climb » Motorcycle.com News

Looks like they had a good year too. Maybe I'll email them and find out if it's "zero" loss of power at 14,000'...

Do you think the EM field from the motor down there messes with their junk or could cause cancer?
    Name:  stromer-seitevorne-schwarz-500x500.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  98.4 KB
    Elite Platinum
    Top Speed 20 mph 30+ mph
    Range Up to 50 miles
    Recharge Time 3 hours 4 hours
    Gear Speeds 9 speed 27 speed

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Did you see his max heart rate was around 190 BPM during the race? Crazy! Cool video. No way I'd want to drive a car that fast up the Peak!
    I would give my left testicle to drive that car up there! Holy crap that would be the ****!!
    I spent 10s of thousands and god knows how many hours in 1994 to dive my little open wheel pos up there and to have that kind of backing would be unimaginable. That record will stand for some time, if Sebastian comes back he has easily got 13 seconds to go sub 8.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    I believe that was right about the time the gear indicator said '6' and you could hear the engine bouncing off the rev limiter.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Motion activated
    I don't know. That's a lot of heat.

You're probably right though. At least they say so in this article about Zero at PP this year.
    Zero Motorcycles And Hollywood Electrics Set Records At 2013 Pikes Peak Hill Climb » Motorcycle.com News

Looks like they had a good year too. Maybe I'll email them and find out if it's "zero" loss of power at 14,000'...

Do you think the EM field from the motor down there messes with their junk or could cause cancer?
    Did any hill climb bikes have a turbo? If not that gives the electric a HUGE advantage at that altitude. There would be a very different outcome closer to sea level.

I can't comment on the EM field, but I doubt it causes issues. People live near those huge power lines...

A few weeks ago I bought my daughter an electric dirt bike (12.5" OSET) and it's freaking awesome! No carb or jetting to mess with. No leaky fluids, no hot engine, no air filters... and best of all no noise. It's cool when you can hear your kid singing as they ride along.

As 30lb kid wrestling a 47lb bike, she gets a good workout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Electric Superbike wins PP-oset.jpg  

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    A few weeks ago I bought my daughter an electric dirt bike (12.5" OSET) and it's freaking awesome! No carb or jetting to mess with. No leaky fluids, no hot engine, no air filters... and best of all no noise. It's cool when you can hear your kid singing as they ride along.
    As 30lb kid wrestling a 47lb bike, she gets a good workout.
    So cool! I've admired those at the shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    It sure has upped the speeds a lot. Plus you have thousands of people standing by the side of the road.I wonder if a car taking out a couple dozen people would be the end of the PPHC.

The potential for a horrendous accident is certainly there. Paul Dallenbach's throttle stuck last year and he went into the trees just beyond a section of spectators. Holy crap.

Paul Dallenbach's Pikes Peak Crash Multiple Camera Raw Video - YouTube

1955 Le Mans disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast