Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

OT: Digital SLR recommendations

I know there are some really great photogs on this forum so I'm looking for a little input. I'm starting to look at digital SLRs and have found it to be on par with looking for a new bike or a new mattress; utterly bewildering. I don't need anything too fancy but don't want to sell myself short either. Any thoughts for a complete neophyte?

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by lanruss
    I know there are some really great photogs on this forum so I'm looking for a little input. I'm starting to look at digital SLRs and have found it to be on par with looking for a new bike or a new mattress; utterly bewildering. I don't need anything too fancy but don't want to sell myself short either. Any thoughts for a complete neophyte?
    Are you looking for a camera to take on rides? I love my Canon Rebel XT (XSi is the current version), but it's big. Maybe look at something like a Canon S5 that has manual adjustments but a smaller size and cost.

What do you have now? What are you looking for?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Canon 40D. Fast Autofocus, 10mp, 6.5 frames per second, and dirt cheap right now. I absolutely love mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That's what I'm looking for. The kids do a ton of sports and I just want something that can take decent fast action images, but light enough I can haul around. I only have a point and shoot now, but it is really not good for much of anything.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by lanruss
    That's what I'm looking for. The kids do a ton of sports and I just want something that can take decent fast action images, but light enough I can haul around. I only have a point and shoot now, but it is really not good for much of anything.
    Skip 18-55 kit lens. You'll want something with a better reach. I've got a Sigma 18-200 that works well for far away pictures.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Rolling
    Time of the month for this thread....

....Make sure you get a new pack too since they are big cameras!

mtbr member

Good job! nikon D40x

nikon vs. canon = intense vs. turner

in the end it probably doesn't matter so much... try before you buy.

(debaser nailed it though– it's all in the glass)
    $.02
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    nikon vs. canon = intense vs. turner

in the end it probably doesn't matter so much... try before you buy.

(debaser nailed it though– it's all in the glass)
    $.02
    Yup - my wife picked the Nikon based on ergonomics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds alot like my last matress purchase. Way too many choices.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Nikon and Canon are both equally good. I just happen to have bought Canon. I've been extremely happy with them so far. If you're just starting out, I would recommend picking up an 18-200IS lens. Good all around lens. You'll figure out what else you want from there.

mtbr member
    Go for either Nikon or Canon entry level SLRs. You will be just fine to start either way. I personally shoot with Nikon, but as others have said it is total personal preference.

I started with a Nikon D40x which worked out great and still makes a great backup or trail camera since it is small. Nowadays I would venture to say check out the D60 if you look at Nikon. Good luck and have fun!

hehe ...you said "member"
    hitek79 - kick ass pics!
    OP: I'm definitely an amateur - one step up from point-n-shoot. Have a Nikon D60 and only hope to be able to someday use it to its potential. As a newb trying to get into photography (lots of kids' athletics/monkey business shots) it's a cool camera. Also, don't know about Cannon, but the Nikor IS lenses have helped me with reducing blur/motion artifact with action shots.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    This is just my opinion of course, but if budget is a concern, I would still buy a used 40D over a D60 just because of the autofocus. Same goes for the Canon equivalent which I think is the Xsi now. If you're shooting something moving, or in low light, you'll be glad you have the improved autofocus.

Thanks for the compliment Jake. I'm mainly into landscape stuff, but I can't wait to get some photography out on the trails this summer. Action photography can really be fun.

Rolling
    Good stuff.

But the question is not about the camera....it's about the lighting and timing and opportinity?

I think this photo demonstrates that it doesn't matter what camera you have (this is 512x768 pixels reduced). Choice of camera and dollars cannot replace the photographers eye.

mtbr member
    Agreed, but I started out with a Canon XT and quickly outgrew it. Something like a 40D or D200 from Nikon will have very few limitations. When I bought my XT it cost $1100 and the step up was the 20D at the time with a price of $1500. Considering the 40D or D200 can be had for $700, they are an absolute steal.

mtbr member
    Go for the Nikon D90. 12mp, many of the features of the D300, but much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pentax

I have a Pentax K100. Only 6 mp, bought it over a year ago. It is not as expensive as the Nikon or Canon. I don't have a photographer's eye tho, I take action pics of my kid playing soccer. I tried to upload but the pics are too big--is there an easy way to resize photos? Why can't mtbr.com do it automatically?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

If you're on a budget but just want to get started

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I have found http://dpreview.com/ to be a good resource when buying photo equipment.

Tribe member
    This site is under construction right now but they have a package for a Nikon D80 and two lenses for like 550 or 600. That's a killer deal and one that I'm looking to upgrade to from my Canon 10D.

http://www.1wayphoto.com

mtbr member
    Oh and also go check out the dgrin forums --> www.dgrin.com

It is a great photo forum for all things equipment, exposure, lighting, etc. Any questions you have there will be answered by some very knowledgeable folks. They have helped me out big time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee
    This site is under construction right now but they have a package for a Nikon D80 and two lenses for like 550 or 600. That's a killer deal and one that I'm looking to upgrade to from my Canon 10D.

http://www.1wayphoto.com

There's a reason it's such a killer deal. Basically you get killed in the deal.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/1_Way_Photo

If you plan on buying new, B&H usually has the best legitimate prices. Customer service is outstanding.

The downside to a D40 is only 3 autofocus points, and you have to buy motor driven lens. The camera doesn't drive the autofocus.

Tribe member
    Wow! Thanks for the heads up on that hitek79!

I've used B&H before to get some photo paper when I took a black and white photo class back in college.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Check out the Canon G9 or G10 (G9 is better if you can find one)
    The G10 is more capable than all other p/s and a heck of lot easier to carry around than a SLR. It has full manual capabilities and enough for a great shot while out on the ride. If your composing your shots and setting up your strobes before your buddies get down the trail then the D200 is the best camera on the budget (600 at BestBuy online) and get the best lenses you can afford. The Tamrac Aero 85 is an awsome pack for riding it's narrow and you can put your bladder in the laptop compartment. It also has super easy side access to get the camera out. But if you want to just take cool riding shots and print them or post them; the G10 is the way to go.

Both of those were taken with the G10 first time out this winter. 1st one is PS enhanced from RAW file and second one is Auto settings no PS.
    Have fun with what ever you go with...
    Everybody needs to believe in something...
    I believe I'll have another B E E R !!!!!

FEAR

Rolling
    Hitek is right. Stay away from those NY deals. They are bait and switch gigs.

They try to sell you overpriced memory and stuff (1 GB memory for $150). If you do it, you wind up paying too much. If not, and you are lucky, they will tell you it's out of stock so you can go somewhere else. Otherwise, they dick you around for weeks, charging your card but not delivering. If you cancel, they want a restock fee. ....the list goes on.

I did some research on a couple of companies and found they even had the exact same address (which was hard to find BTW). These bozos run several businesses from the same building in Brooklyn it seems.

Stick with B&H, Canoga, Adorama or Amazon. You will get the best deal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast