mtbr member

OT-Craigslist scam or not? Paypal warning?

If you ever tried to sell a valuable items on Craigslist you know the scam. This one though, I'm not quite sure yet.

I'm selling a camera on CL. I'm always thorough about the details and my listing clearly states it's brand new in the box, never opened and not refurbished. The person or two asked about the condition twice and offered to pay slightly more than I'm asking. Both are usually a dead give aways that it's a scam. They also offered for me to ship it through their person FedEX account to Wyoming. I've shipped items and had buyer pay for shipping before but never through their shipping account.

Here's the email correspondence so far:

Them--Is it refurbished?

Me--Brand new. Not refurbished.

Them(a different email this time)--Hummm.. can you send me your email address to talk better??

Now I'm getting a little more suspicious. Why do they want my email when obviously they already have it? So I give them my email and phone# anyways because I always prefer to talk instead of back and forth through email.

They reply--Am really glad to hear back from you,am located in (Wyoming) but i will just like to know if the item is really in good condition? cos i want to get this for my son who is schooling outside the state as a birthday gift, I will offer you $380 so as to wrap it up as soon as possible. Shipment will be handled by me through my personal FedEx account,so you don't have to pay for shipment. I will like to pay you via paypal.

At this point they're hoping it's in good condition even my listing clearly states brand new and I've already answered this question in an earlier email.
    I reply--The item is brand new, never opened box. My paypal ID is ------------@------.com. I could ship ASAP but how do I go about doing this? Are you sending a shipping label or do I go to FedEx?

They reply--Alright..I will make the payment as soon as possible.They will send you a notification mail to confirm the payment to you.Once you receive the confirmation mail from them it means the payment has been approved and don't forget to let me know when it is approved so we can discuss shipping.

The last email I got was 11 hrs ago and still waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime my wife's email(which is a secondary email on my paypal) sent me a message about an attachment which I tried to open and it didn't work. I didn't think think anything of it yet but then I talked to her and it appears her email got hijacked and sent multiple emails to people on her contact list.

At this point I check my paypal to see if anything funny has happened and thank goodness nothing yet. Then I came upon this article about paypal's president's credit card being hacked and someone went on a shopping spree: PayPal President's credit card hacked for shopping spree

I don't know if this is all connected but it's definitely weird.

What do you guys think?

Tribe Member
    Walk away. If they are in WY that would be the first red flag. Second is will send you money and use my personal FedEx account number.
    Sell locally so you can meet them face to face.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    I've used paypal on Craigslist before and shipped out of state before but never about their personal shipping account. Come to think about it, whenever I've done this I've always had phone coversations. I agree with your last statement which is why I always give my phone number but often people would rather just email or text instead of actually talking.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    general rule of thumb, if it seems like a scam, it is..

I had almost the exact same one from a pinkbike ad recently, including the part about the gift for son, except he said he couldn't log into paypal and sent me the log in information and asked me to do it for him (i did not of course). Who would ever give away their log in information for any account?
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Paypal in general is fine, but this encounter, as described, is a scam.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the opinions. It seemed like it could be legit at first but it was obvious it was a scam pretty quick. I just wanted to unload the camera quick so I was hopeful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    If they are in WY that would be the first red flag.
    Why would someone living in Wyoming wanting a camera be a red flag? That's just rubbish.

The giveaway is the poor grammar. It's better than most, but still not good. Sure, it could be someone with English as a second language, but that's the red flag. The phrase "schooling outside the state" is clearly a phrase they haven't mastered yet!

So is their failure to acknowledge that it's in new condition. You keep telling them, they keep asking if it's in good condition. That just keeps you engaged and makes you want to prove yourself.

Using someone's shipping account isn't necessarily bad. I have one and could create and send a label for you to print out, so tough call on that one being part of the scam or not.

Sending Paypal info, though? That sounds to me like where the scam is. First, it's probably a stolen account. Second, he wants YOU to log in and steal the money, making you the criminal in the whole deal. And he'd still get the camera because you'd have sent it and be left holding the (stolen) money with an electronic record of your hacking the PP account.

You could mess with them a bit. Claim there is no money in the account or tell them you're going to help yourself to triple the cost or whatever. But that takes time. If you do, though, post up the hilarity here!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Heh, have you tried to sell bike bits, and the buyer tells you to send them your name, address, and email so they can issue a check to you and have their logistics guy pick it up? I wonder how many houses they've robbed and identities swiped...?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Never give away your personal information on the internet. That's the first step to getting hacked. A lot of accounts are associated with phone numbers and that is a back door through the security.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Lot's of out of state people troll Denver CL for bike parts. I've sold a few to out of state people.

First, they don't sound like they used google translator to translate their email into English.

Second, they never ask me to log into their paypal account. I give them my paypal name and they deposit the funds.

Third, I don't use their fedex info. They pay for the shipping up front.

Like others said, you could mess with him and tell him your paypal was hacked and you had to close it so he needs to send you a cashiers check and a photo of himself wearing a dress while holding a copy of todays local paper to prove he is real.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Holy crap, I can't believe you wasted your time replying to them. This screams OBVIOUS SCAM from so many directions.

Craigslist rules to live by = Local, face to face, cash only transaction, in a public place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    Holy crap, I can't believe you wasted your time replying to them. This screams OBVIOUS SCAM from so many directions.

Craigslist rules to live by = Local, face to face, cash only transaction, in a public place.
    I know. Stupid me. At first this scam seemed a little different than the typical I'll send you a check for $10,000 check scam. Lesson learned but at least I didn't get screwed. I also didn't give out to much info though. Only my phone number and paypal address to send the funds. And to be fair, I've sold multiple bikes/frames out of state from Craigslist using paypal without any issues.