WWJR

OT: computer help!

How the F do you uninstall CA etrust antivirus??? Im trying to put another program on my laptop, and at the end of the install, it says, "Before continuing with your installation, you must remove software that is incompatible with Mcafee security programs."I googled this topic, with no success. And yes, Ive tried to add/remove programs, delete from c:/, and dump everything in recycle bin.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I would try to install Kaspersky antivirus. During the install it will detect and remove CA etrust... then it will ask you to continue with the install of Kaspersky.. at that point you can just cancel it out. Give that a go and report back! Good luck.

WWJR
    Kaspersky went thru its entire installation. Didnt pick it up @ all. So I tried to install Mahafe....no dice!
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 05-31-2008 at 09:23 PM.

..ouch
    Look under "c:\ > documents and settings > all users > application data" and delete any folders related to CA.

Or, better yet.. just delete the HDD and switch to linux.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    lol... thump's suggestion to move to Linux would definitely help! Might I add that a Mac would fix similar issues...

Back to your problem. You said you are trying to install "another program" that is complaining about CA stuff... What "other program" are you installing that is seeing CA on your system still? What has CA's support said about getting their program fully uninstalled? When was the last time you reloaded this system? Windows registry can get jacked and bloated over time. When weird issues like this happen, it is often easier to backup your data and reload Windows from your restore discs and start over. I generally try to reload my systems once a year to avoid crap from older programs remaining in the registry and throughout the system. Sorry you are having issues, but Windows sucks ass and this is simply par for the course.

Inflexable...
    What version of windows are you running? You may have to end processes and remove registry entries for the AV to completely remove it. Do you not have the original AV discs? If you do, you should be able to uninstall that way. Are you rebooting after deleting files? You may need to...If the AV program starts automatically and it won't let you delete the process, you may have to start up in 'safe' mode to delete it's file location.

Switching to Linux has its own host of problems as well...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Open services.msc and note any CA releated services you find. From an elevated command prompt, delete each service using the SC command. Here is the syntax:
    Code:
    sc delete "Display Name of Service"
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB