rwb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

OT--Boulder/Denver Area Cell Phone Coverage

Looking to get a cell phone and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on services to go with or avoid. It's mainly for emergencies, so I'd hope it might work on the trails (Jeffco, Nederland area, Sourdough/S St Vrain, etc.). Any recommendations would be appreciated.

locked - time out
    I've had decent luck with Verizon - I work in Evergreen and reception has been better than most of the other services I have had in the past.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb
    Looking to get a cell phone and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on services to go with or avoid. It's mainly for emergencies, so I'd hope it might work on the trails (Jeffco, Nederland area, Sourdough/S St Vrain, etc.). Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    I use TMobile, and while I have pretty luck with always having a signal, its usually not the best service to use for "emergency" type stuff as its all digital and can't bounce off the old analog towers like ATT&T and others. I go signal at Eldora and Winter Park, but usually don't take it with me on my mountain bike rides so I can't really tell you how it is on the trails.

Perpetually single track
    FWIW, I just got a new GSM AT&T (cingular) cell phone....works well, even had reception at blue sky basin yesterday in Vail, but according to sales guy, analog/TDMA (old school digital) is soon(next year or so) to be disabled across the board (other companies as well...mentioned some new law...blah blah)...not sure I trust him, but worth checking out.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

contains quinine
    Verizon user: Little to no coverage in Ned or on nearby trails. Great on the flatlands and up the I70 corridor.Anyone ever seen cell use in the Eisenhauer? It works! (not really on topic, but I was surprised).

I've taken to carrying a 5 mile walkie talkie on middle of nowhere rides. I figure if I can turn it on and scan for a signal. I may be able to contact someone for help if I need it.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Verizon user: Little to no coverage in Ned or on nearby trails. Great on the flatlands and up the I70 corridor.Anyone ever seen cell use in the Eisenhauer? It works! (not really on topic, but I was surprised).

I've taken to carrying a 5 mile walkie talkie on middle of nowhere rides. I figure if I can turn it on and scan for a signal. I may be able to contact someone for help if I need it.
    Yep. The radio is the best idea for middle o' nowhere. With regard to cell stuff, Sprint/Nextel is building a tower on Indian Lookout Mountain in Lyons. That should improve cell coverage in the lower St Vrain corridors. It may help higher up but I'm not sure. All of the permits have been issued, they just need to start building it. Should be up this summer. As it is now I can't get reception in the backcountry really anywhere around here(Verizon) unless I'm at the top of a pretty fair sized lookout.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

a dad
    Jan 2004
    had verizon and didn't like it at all, bad coverage (especially in nw denver) and lots of dropped calls...now have cingular and so far so good, but have only had it a week..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Time is not a road.
    I've had Verizon for two years now and have never had a problem w/coverage (well, except certain pocits in the foothills). Best of all, my bill has been the same month after month.

Not just famous; infamous
    I've had Verizon and now Cingular/ATT. Verizon had a wider coverage area (not by much, though), but a much better signal--at least where we are (DTC/Castle Rock). I also had a lot of dropped calls with Verizon, and voice mails sometimes took 48 hrs to show up. We haven't dropped as many calls and the CS is better with Cingular.

Don't know about the other guys though. I don't think there's a perfect provider--you'll get screwed somewhere.

rwb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks for the info guys (nm)

No message

Whatever

Cingular/ATT are only choices for Ned

AT&T put up two towers, 10 miles apart in Ned, several years ago. One is close to Eldora, the other 10 miles south. You can get reception from Rollinsville to Eldora as long as you have line of site, typically on a ridge. They support GSM and the old AT&T service which you can't get phones for anyway. Verizon will not work at all up there. Not sure about Nextel.

T-mobile supposedly has a sharing agreement (sharing towers) with AT&T but I never got reception w/ T-mobile up there last summer. Just switched to Cingular and I do get (spotty) reception there.

I take my mobile phone mtn biking but only for emergencies. When I'm riding, I don't want to be found!