Dude...

OT: Backcountry snowboarding...

Has anyone used or checked out this new system from MTN Approach? Seems like a really cool product for accessing the backcountry, and not needing a splitboard. (The first person to comment that I don't need a splitboard b/c I can just use ski's wins a punch in the face. )

Actually, I just invested in a BC ski setup this past fall...not that I actually got out that much...but I am ready to go if and when.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Its amazing how easy somebody can make 10.000 posts making such stupid comments.

My leg feels funny
    Seems interesting but the two things that would be nice are climb bars and "crampons".

not actually bad :)
    Well, you don't really need a splitboard b/c you can just use the skis you just bought.

Do I win the punch in the face??!!

but seriously...
    Why not just buy a splitboard?
    Not that much more $.
    Old Codger

Dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Well, you don't really need a splitboard b/c you can just use the skis you just bought.

Do I win the punch in the face??!!

but seriously...
    Why not just buy a splitboard?
    Not that much more $.
    I think maybe I win the punch in the face. I am more just curious if anyone here has used these. They seem pretty slick. A spit board may not be much more expensive, but then you still need bindings, and boots. With this system, you can take any board you have in your quiver, and you can skin up in your traditional snowboard boots. I was under the impression that with a split board you would need hard shell boots. This option also looks to be a pretty light system, which when skinning, is a good thing.

More just curiousity since I have so much time on my hands with all this rain.
    Its amazing how easy somebody can make 10.000 posts making such stupid comments.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You don't need hard boots for a splitboard.

I knew a guy who used these little 100 cm or so fat approach skis with the skins permanently affixed to them. It was pretty slick and while he still had to do the changeover he didn't have the fiddle factor that a splitboard does. With the old style ski mountaineer (Ramers if I remember right) bindings he was using he had to use hard boots though; I don't know if a split board binding would work well on a set up like that. Not sure how those little skis would work in powder either, all I ever did with him was corn.

Really, if you want to go into the BC you need skis. Just about everyone I know who started BC snowboarding got frustrated and either gave it up except for occasional dabbling or switched to skis. So much more efficient and fun..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've used snowshoes, ascent skis (similar to the link but homemade), home-split, and factory-split boards in the past. Even tele'd for awhile back in the day (early 90s) so I could get back to the goods b/c I couldn't get there on the board. Now, I've got BC skis and a splitboard (no teles anymore). I've ridden hard boots since 1990, so now I've got one pair of boots that fit in both my splitboard and my skis.

Let me tell you from experience...spend the bucks on a factory splitboard.

Even if floation/surface area of the ascent skis is the same as a board, you're always carrying the extra weight of a board (on the ascent) or the skis (on the descent).

I remember when I helped by buddy split his first board back in the late-90s, I thought--no way is that going to work. That weekend, when I was punching through the crust with my ascent skis and he was floating on top, I was a believer.

Edit: I used to ski on my split...kinda a mix between tele and super-fat powder skis...when I needed a change...Now I just pull out the AT setup instead.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm

Really, if you want to go into the BC you need skis. Just about everyone I know who started BC snowboarding got frustrated and either gave it up except for occasional dabbling or switched to skis. So much more efficient and fun..
    Jeezus. You're lucky bcrider isn't around here.

Dude...
    I bought a pretty nice AT setup in the fall, and I've enjoyed getting back on skis after so many years boarding. I just didn't get the chance to get into the backcountry too much. I only have a couple of friends that are experienced, and it's not something I would feel comfortable doing with just anyone. I have the gear though, and that is step one. I think I did more early morning inbounds skinning than BC. I must say though after a long lay off from skiing, I forgot how sore your legs can get.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm

Skis are easier, faux sho.... But at what cost! I'd have to ski down. Thats just not a compromise I can live with.

I like the idea of foldable approach skis. It seems like good evolution; I'd certainly give 'er a go. Although it's nice not having a board on your back hikin in trees.

I'm wondering, has anyone has tried the Atomic Poacher Split?

The idea with the fish tail is the have better mobilty when skinning (easier to make a tele-turn)
    The trail that rolls along with some ups and downs can be a hassle on a traditional split

I'm skinning up a long steady hill tomorrow, not sure where yet...., but I'll be surfin the mashed tators down
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 05-19-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Jeezus. You're lucky bcrider isn't around here.
    BC Rider has a thick skin and a sense of humor. He's heard a lot worse than my line o s**t.

mtbr member
    Cool idea,Nice looking hinge system....BUT.....The beauty of the splitboard is that you don't have to carry your board on your back anymore. Would never go back to that again. I love splitboards.

mtbr member
    Yeah- I don't get it- why would you want something else to carry? A quality split board will ride well and ski well. Not many downsides...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead
    Yeah- I don't get it- why would you want something else to carry? A quality split board will ride well and ski well. Not many downsides...
    Maybe not for the splitboarder... but for the rest of us waiting around while they fiddle incessantly at the transition...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Maybe not for the splitboarder... but for the rest of us waiting around while they fiddle incessantly at the transition...
    Shouldn't you be digging a snow pit checking the avy conditions while we make our transition? Sheesh...Make yourself useful, why don't cha...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjonas
    Shouldn't you be digging a snow pit checking the avy conditions while we make our transition? Sheesh...Make yourself useful, why don't cha...
    Hell man, I could do a LAP by the time you get your $hit straightened out.

simple
    The Mtn approach skis are not available to buy yet from what I recall. They are a slick system. After using my split for as long as I have I would never want to put a board back on my back. It throws your weight off way too much. The point of the mtn approach is so that you can bring your favorite snowboard out in the backcountry. I get that. My split is great but it isn't as awesome as my other board. It doesn't matter in the long run because I'm searching for powder and technical terrain and not looking to play around on features. I do like finding those features though.

The Atomic Poacher split seems like a cheap attempt at a good idea. Plus it is from a ski company. I buy my snowboards from snowboard companies.

See you all in the backcountry. (probably not )

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    See you all in the backcountry. (probably not )
    thought I saw you today...

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a splitboard and Verts. I think the Verts are my favorite for steep approaches. Splitboard is better for long approaches. Approach skis are pointless and just one more thing to carry, kinda like snowshoes.

That being said, I'm getting an AT setup next season for tooling around with the wife.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jjonas
    Usually I just send the snowboarders down first. Then make a more educated decision. Spatial variability of snowpack and all that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebry74
    I think maybe I win the punch in the face. I am more just curious if anyone here has used these. They seem pretty slick. A spit board may not be much more expensive, but then you still need bindings, and boots. With this system, you can take any board you have in your quiver, and you can skin up in your traditional snowboard boots. I was under the impression that with a split board you would need hard shell boots. This option also looks to be a pretty light system, which when skinning, is a good thing.

More just curiousity since I have so much time on my hands with all this rain.
    Have you not heard of the Spark bindings? You can use any boot you want with them.
    Not that heavy either.
    http://www.sparkrandd.com/

Spark R&D - Splitboard Transitions from Will Ritter on Vimeo.