DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

OT: Anyone a guru on rowing?

I'm looking for an indoor rowing machine. Anyone have experience with this brand of torture? Would like to get a quality unit. Yes, I googled but would like some real world info and not marketing crap. A friend is hooking me up with a rowing shell but doesn't do any indoor rowing so no help there. I'd like to get some fitness and technique before I try to drown myself on Chatfield.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    I'm looking for an indoor rowing machine. Anyone have experience with this brand of torture? Would like to get a quality unit. Yes, I googled but would like some real world info and not marketing crap. A friend is hooking me up with a rowing shell but doesn't do any indoor rowing so no help there. I'd like to get some fitness and technique before I try to drown myself on Chatfield.
    No experience with indoor rowing, but let me know when you decide to hit Chatfield - I'll pull out the kayak and get some roll practice in.

eci
    are you planning on kayaking or rowing?

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    are you planning on kayaking or rowing?
    Good point - I guess a WW kayak may be a far cry from a "rowing shell", kind of like

"Hey guys, let me know when you decide to take a motorcycle trip down to Taos - I'll pull out the Bianchi and tag along"
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 02-04-2005 at 07:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF

I know a guy that rows ....I think he was at nationals last week for it. PM me and I'll try to get you two in touch.

Ridem
    Feb 2004

Concept 2

I have owned a Concept 2 for about 5 years and it works very well. I only use it in the Winter as a diversion from the indoor trainer. Check their website for details.

old skool newbie

concept 2 too

I've got a concept2 rower also, actually its my wifes but she 'lets' me use it too

its the best type of rowing machine out there for realistic feel, but its still indoor rowing, sorta comparable to riding on rollers vs the road, there are no waves, wind, chance of drowning, etc
    You can get all kinds of tchatchakas for it too: a computer that reads calories, distance speed, etc., a kayak set up, tandems, online racing and chat forums, international get-togethers, its just as bad as mtbr groups

if you are $erious about getting a rower, go for this instead of the wal-mart outa-the box hydraulic POS, you can find them used too (ebay, etc)
    its a good way to keep the legs, arms and cardio in check over the winter, especially with a good video to stave off the boredom aspect
    http://www.concept2.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hairshirt Rider

Ignoranus

Well, I don't know anything about rowing, but I thought I would weigh in here with my 2 cents. A long time ago, when I was in college (the first time), they had some rowing machines in the rec center that were pretty nice. I never tried on though. Keep in mind this was at a university in the middle of the desert, and there wasn't any place within 60 miles you could actually row a real boat. Then, when I went to college again (the second time), they had turned the dried out river bed just north of the university into a lake (imagine that), so I tried them out a couple of times. It was a good workout.

And the rest of these guys, they don't know what they are talking about....

Hope that helps.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually did a lot of machine rowing about 10 years ago while doing time in the polar prison. It was a wicked cool machine, but I couldn't remember squat about it but I enjoyed it and used to watch movies using it. Right now I'm trying to decide between the Concept 2 and the PerfectRow. The cool thing about the PerfectRow is that you have to use good technique and balance just like in a real scull or you fall off of it. Bummer is that it cost about half again as much as the Concept2 (about $1500).