mtbr member

OT: Any Harley riders in here?

Thinking of getting a bike this spring so I'm looking for local knowledge on the dealers to avoid and the ones to definitely go to for both price and service stuff. Thanks.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

VooDoo user.
    I have a cat named Harley.

The store in Boulder closed down. Harleys aren't "GREEN" enough for Boulder.

That is all.

mtbr member
    You wanting to buy a new Harley or a bicycle? If you're looking for a new motorcycle check out www.thundermountaincustoms.com Call the factory, and ask for Harry and plan a visit to the factory. He'll fill you in on all the skinny and get you pointed in the right direction to buy one of these 90-95% all Harley part custom bikes! Let him know Stonewall Jackson referred ya.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

why are they so loud?

I like the looks, they are cool bikes. But many are SO loud they hurt your ears if you are on the sidewalk. Some are fine, many are really really loud. What's up with that?

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    I like the looks, they are cool bikes. But many are SO loud they hurt your ears if you are on the sidewalk. Some are fine, many are really really loud. What's up with that?
    2 reasons.

First for the look at me, I'm loud, obnoxious, and tuff. (and a dentist or doctor)
    Second so that cars know they are around when on the road. Kinda a saftey thing.

Mainly reason 1.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    2 reasons.

First for the look at me, I'm loud, obnoxious, and tuff. (and a dentist or doctor)
    Second so that cars know they are around when on the road. Kinda a saftey thing.

Mainly reason 1.
    ********e.

Reason #2 should be "For the same reason that Hummers are so big and often painted bright orange"

That is all.
    Now with more vitriol!

Living the High Life
    Harley's were cool before the yuppies took over in the 90's. Buy a Triumph, British street racing snot is the new American leather clad "bad ass".

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Harley's were cool before the yuppies took over in the 90's. Buy a Triumph, British street racing snot is the new American leather clad "bad ass".
    If I could own any bike, it would be a Goldammer:

http://www.goldammercycle.com/hispeed/gallery.php?g=0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now with more vitriol!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Reason #2 should be "For the same reason that Hummers are so big and often painted bright orange"
    Because they need a false sense of accomplishment to make up being duped by the conspiracy, at least unconsciously, while at the same time contributing?

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Because they need a false sense of accomplishment to make up being duped by the conspiracy, at least unconsciously, while at the same time contributing?
    What? To lend meaning to an otherwise hollow existence? No - I didn't say that.
    Now with more vitriol!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    What? To lend meaning to an otherwise hollow existence? No - I didn't say that.
    I fill my hollow existence by pretending I'm and extreme mountain biker online. Then I drive my beige 4 door mid 90's Caviler home to Highlands Ranch...because my wife has the Lexus suv.

mtbr member
    Some are fine, many are really really loud. What's up with that?
    i don't ride, but i've seen the bumper sticker:
    "loud pipes save lives"
    often (on the highway anyway) you hear them long before you see them (if at all).

too bad they don't make a speed-sensitive muffler... i don't mind the noise on the highway, but i admit it is d*mn annoying when they're cruising through a 'hood and throttle up and shatter your eardrums.

if you've got the coin, i've got a neighbor who does custom painting for harley... i need to convince him to spray my bike someday.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    ... i need to convince him to spray my bike someday.
    He's probably turning you down because the idea of painting a white bike white is kinda lame.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    I agree... I don't like and won't have loud pipes on my bike if I get one. The safety reason is about as valid as roadies shaving for the extra speed. Total BS. The obnoxious answer is much closer to home. And "because they can". To each their own.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Living the High Life
    You don't need an incredibly loud bike to be heard in traffic. I drove a Suzuki 600 and just rode 1 gear lower when I was concerned. There is no need for guys with straight pipes to take off really fast and rev their engine in residential neighborhoods.

Those guys who rev their engines at stop lights don't' know what their doing anyway, motorcycle transmissions spin with the engine when its in gear even with the clutch in. So if they are in neutral while they're doing it it will cause undo stress when they put it back in gear. Its best to let bikes idle at stop lights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Harleys

The good about Harleys is that they hold their value well, especially in the 5-10 year range. You have to consider though that almost every Harley in the universe has thousands of dollars of Bling hanging off of it. People pay absolutely nutty cash for worthless chrome doodads and goofy paint. Check out the pricetag on a Harley factory 'Limited' gas tank. Standard tank: $400. Tank with 'Limited Edition' factory paint: $2500(!!!) That, my friend, is profit margin.

However, to me, the true value of Harleys is reflected in the resale value of Buells. Buells are Harley sport bikes, and are arguably better riding bikes in every way, but they don't have the name 'Harley'. The resale is about half of the Harley resale.

Draw your own conclusions.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    The good about Harleys is that they hold their value well, especially in the 5-10 year range.
    That's very true, my Dad rode Harleys for 15 years, and he added up what it cost him. Even without adjusting for inflation, he only spent about 1,000 and that's with 4 or 5 bikes he went through, as well as 2 of my Mom's. If you throw in inflation I bet he might have made money.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

2nd on the triumph

I rode a triumph speedmaster before my two girls were born. Good handling bike based on new bonneville but has great lines on the bike. Aftermarket accessories are limited but you would be surprised how much is out there. The intial investment wanes in comparison to harley too, resale ain't that bad. Good conversation piece lot of people like to talk to you about em and check it out. I sold it but don't miss it too much I just spend more time riding my bike and working things out that way -don't have to worry about cars. I had a couple close calls and didn't want to work out things permanently.