mtbr member

OT - Any good breweries in Salida/Poncha Springs/ South Fork area?

I seem to recall a thread where someone mentioned a great brewery in the area, but can't find it. Any recs?
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Elevation in Poncha. You can also find it on tap at Bongo Billy's (next to Absolute Bikes) in Salida
    Elevation Beer Co.

mtbr member
    Cool - thanks! Both look like they have some interesting options.

mtbr member
    +1 for amicas good pizza too.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by farley325 View Post
    Elevation in Poncha. You can also find it on tap at Bongo Billy's (next to Absolute Bikes) in Salida
    Elevation Beer Co.
    ^^^This place is probably the one new brewery I have visited in the past several years that has impressed me more than any other. Obviously, beer is a matter of opinion, but there wasn't a single beer I've tried of theirs that I would rate any less than "good" and above. In a world where I feel most breweries have mostly "average" offerings with 1 or 2 I'd rate "good" or "exceptional" this said something to me. That said, they cater to my preferences: big but balanced IPAs, interesting Belgian-y stuff with lots of flavor, and a mad decent porter to name a few. Their Apis IV Quadruple is/was outstanding, but I think it may be gone Daddy gone now? First Cast IPA is solid, and they had a fresh-hopped IPA this past summer that dispelled my own myth with myself that I don't like fresh-hopped beers. There is usually something on tap from Elevation at Right Coast Pizza in Wheat Ridge, right across the street from Wheat Ridge Cyclery.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Re: OT - Any good breweries in Salida/Poncha Springs/ South Fork area?

3 barrel in Del Norte has some really nice beers too. Super small, but good. Eddyline is in bv. They have a restaurant and a tasting room at different locations. And Amicas is great as well. Haven't been to elevation yet. Not impressed with their IPA when I had it but I've heard good things about their other beers.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had a stout from 3 Barrel that was outstanding. And, we hit Amicas for some awesome pizza, and a damned good IPA! Amicas will become a regular stopover.

I looked at Elevations' beers on their website - looked like my kind of brewery! Will have to keep an eye for their beers here on the FR.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by farley325 View Post
    Elevation Beer Co.
    I think a couple of the elevation beers I've had are maybe the best ever for me. They are part of a new consortium called the Arkansas Valley Libations Society (their own website is still pending I think).

Another snippet: the restaurant next to Absolute Bikes is no longer Bongo Billy's, it's now called Rivers Edge.

And yet another:

Anybody here remember the Banana Belt Loop Race, formerly a September Salida tradition going back into the late 80's? We are reviving it. 22+ mile point-to-point. It will be a benefit event for Salida Mountain Trails, sponsored by the libation society. Part of the emerging Salida Bike Fest. Put it on your calendar. And plan on staying Saturday night, because there will be a post race event involving the kind of top shelf adult beverage consumption that you won't want to cut short, or drive home after.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    TomP,

Sounds interesting! What is the date of the race and festival?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by FTC Rider View Post
    TomP,

Sounds interesting! What is the date of the race and festival?
    Salida Bike Fest will start around September 12. Naturally, the stuff during the weekdays will be mainly focused on locals--some bike to school activities and the like. The Banana Belt race will be Saturday the 14th. There will also be a chainless race off S-Mountain/Spiral Drive across the river from downtown, put on by our High School race team. Not sure--that may be Friday or Saturday. Then Sunday will be the Crest Crank, a benefit for the Alliance Against Domestic Abuse which is a fun group ride that includes a shuttle to Monarch Pass and an after party.

During the days on Saturday and Sunday we're going to have a kids' events program that includes supervision. And probably even a day care for little kids. The city's Recreation Department has a babysitting class and does all kinds of kids events like bike safety classes and the like. We have a pump track so maybe the Rec staff will take kids that are being looked after over there to learn pump track skills. And with the babysitting class students and instructors, even toddlers and babies could be looked after by responsible people in a safe setting.

Basically we're trying to design a weekend that would be cool for almost anyone who likes biking. People with kids who'd like to be able to race or ride the crest while the kids are being looked after. People who want to do a cool old school point to point race with a chance to sample maybe a dozen or more local beers, wine, and even some artisinal distilled beverages after. That would happen at the park by the river, and maybe have bands at the bandshell there to make it even more fun to hang out post-race.

There will be fun rides for anybody who wants them. And of course hobnobbing.

We may try to set up a triple crown deal: enter the chainless race, the banana belt, the crest crank and get discounted rates on local motels. Ideas and suggestions at this point are welcomed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Another vote for Elevation. Great place. Stopped in on our way back from CB this past year and had a really enjoyable time. Looking forward to getting my hands on more of their beers.

mtbr member
    The liquor store next to the Boat House in Salida has growlers from a brewery that is in Poncha Springs, at least they did last summer. I got a growler of a really good saison when I was there last June. I can't remember the brewery name. I still have the growler, I'll check the name next time I am out in the barn.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
    The liquor store next to the Boat House in Salida has growlers from a brewery that is in Poncha Springs... I can't remember the brewery name...
    That would be Elevation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    That would be Elevation.
    Yep, it is Elevation. I went out and looked at the name on the growler this morning.

Awesomist™
    Yep, it is Elevation. I went out and looked at the name on the growler this morning.
    And if the saison that was in it was their Signal De Botrange it was probably P.F.D.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Banana Belt!!

I raced that a few times in the early 90's, was a super fun course..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Team Velveeta™
    ... growler of a really good saison when I was there last June...
    I was stopping by a local liquor store I don't normally use for provisions last night. Found they still had a few of these Elevation special beers that my normal trafficker in suds ran out of a couple weeks ago:

It's probably my favorite ever tasted. Very hearty, hoppy but not in an overwhelming way like some IPAs, balanced, hints of orange. Mmm. Tastey.

mtbr member
    The Elevation saison growler I have is labeled as "Mt. Blanca". I remember it going down very pleasantly after the Mountain States Cup XC race. Another thing I remember about that race is that there was a 3 or 4 man string band up in the forest along the course playing a Snoop Dogg song when rode by. I though that was really cool. Does anyone know who those guys were?

contains quinine
    Stopped in at Elevation Saturday. As has been the consensus, their ipa was damn good. The porter it tried was good... but not something I'd drink more than a few sips of.

Amicas was good as usual, but the hour long wait? Meh. Will need to find a new place to nom when kids are in tow.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Team Velveeta™
    ... Another thing I remember about that race is that there was a 3 or 4 man string band up in the forest along the course playing a Snoop Dogg song when rode by. I though that was really cool. Does anyone know who those guys were?
    I had a moment with the man who put on that MSC race last night and I asked him. That bit of musical amusement was provided by three of the four parts of a local string bad known as Old Mose:

Old Mose at Currents Steak & Seafood in Salida, CO 03-09-2013

Only link I could find to them. They are playing tomorrow night at a local restaurant called Currents. You can probably find more details on The Book of Faces.

mtbr member
    I like it. I'll keep it in mind...

mtbr member
    I still have a bottle of their Apis IV from last year, the first run I guess. Saving it for a special special occasion? I don't know. It was real good in the tap room, even if it was high alcohol and could not have been aged that long (the tap room was only months old at the time).
    My brain's living room is my stomach.