MK_
    carpe maņana

OT: Alone on the Wall

"No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Rigid in Evergreen
    Thanks for posting.. I've been wanting to see that for a while, but haven't been able to find it. I'm about the furthest thing from a rock climber as there could possibly be in this world, I get queasy before I'm 10ft off the ground... but I am just amazed by what that guy is doing, while seeming to stay so grounded.

The "mini panic attack" after 1,800' on half-dome is absolutely amazing. I've had "mini panic attacks" riding ski lifts, but all I have to do is stay seated, focus on breathing and be cool for a few minutes... not hang on to a wall, get psyched to make a huge (life or death) move and climb another 2,000'.

I would love to know how that film stuff like that without being a distraction... not to mention, how do you climb continuously for nearly 3 hours without water.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Absolutely incredible!

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that ...
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm as blown away by that vid as everyone else is. Concerning this guy's acceptance of the hazards of what he does and his seeming lack of fear, well, some folks are like that. Where you and I would be petrified he is hard wired to not be petrified...in the least. It's like some people can go through surgery without pain killing drugs.

So it turns into an athletic feat of incredible proportions but for him it's like doing all the moves he has to string together at the equivalent of 3 feet off the ground. Hard to believe he feels no fear but he just doesn't. It's not like he's conquered that fear, it just never was there.

And, it would seem that if there was a film crew along he knew in the back of his mind that he could bail if he needed to. As opposed to the entire 2+ hours being filmed from across the valley floor and he truly was alone the whole time with truly no chance of "quitting".
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    It's not like he's conquered that fear, it just never was there.
    Did you finish watching? Did you not see his panic attack 1800ft up on the half dome? There was definitely fear conquering going on.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Did you finish watching? Did you not see his panic attack 1800ft up on the half dome? There was definitely fear conquering going on.

_MK
    Yeah, I watched the whole thing. The fact he could recover from that shows supernatural ability to control his emotions. Again, not a trait 99.99% of humans could do but he could.
    The idea of calming oneself down while standing on a 6" wide ledge just seems freaky. It was when I heard the camera man talking to him that I realized that he could, in fact, have bailed but, being the super human he is, he forged on and into the history books.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    This is a pretty good read related to the sport being presented.

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Phantom-L.../dp/0385486413

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Truly, I am at a loss for words. There were several times I had to look away because of the dizzying heights. The way he worked through the panic attack was amazing but then again, what choice does he have. Thanks for posting this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    In no way am I denigrating this guy's skilz, but I can be just as awed by Sam Hill or Cedric Garcia's abilities to do what they do. But that's what they do, they're freaks. This climber is not like you and me. Maybe he's the only one who's free climbed that wall, maybe there's been others. There are other freaks out there.

What I did love was the entire video's portrayal of the guy, the build up and the actual filming of the feat. Stellar work, no doubt. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, MK.

mtbr member
    I haven' t watched it yet but xcguy you are minimizing this guys accomplishment.

You are correct that he does have an amazing ability to stay calm and focused on only the task at hand, however you are omitting the fact that he likely pursued climbing over anything else in life for year after year to be able to get to where he is both physically and mentally.

Many, many people are gifted in similar ways but very, very few commit and pursue an activity or skill long enough to reach their full potential, let alone become world class.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat
    I haven' t watched it yet but xcguy you are minimizing this guys accomplishment.

You are correct that he does have an amazing ability to stay calm and focused on only the task at hand, however you are omitting the fact that he likely pursued climbing over anything else in life for year after year to be able to get to where he is both physically and mentally.

Many, many people are gifted in similar ways but very, very few commit and pursue an activity or skill long enough to reach their full potential, let alone become world class.
    You should watch the vid, I did. He admitted he pursued climbing over pursuing women (in so many words. Maybe that's changed after this vid). I'm just saying that my admiration for people's deeds has morphed over the years to something other than sheer wonder.

To take one subject: I used to be blown away by how little sleep people I know could get by on. I always looked at it like "sheeit, I'd be so tired, how do they do it?" Simple answer: they didn't need sleep, plain and simple. Hard to comprehend, but these folks got 4 hours a night and it was the same as my 8. They weren't fighting through "sleep deprivation" they were getting what they needed.

This climber, he has no fear, he's a physical freak, what he does is normal for him. I admire the heck out of his accomplishments but it's not like you or me fighting our own fears or working on our own fitness to do such a feat, for him it was imminently attainable if he just stayed focus. Good for him. I also admire the emergency room nurses who pull all nighter after all nighter.

Loved the video, though. I tried to keep from fainting, wuss that I am.

Rigid in Evergreen
    In no way am I denigrating this guy's skilz, but I can be just as awed by Sam Hill or Cedric Garcia's abilities to do what they do. But that's what they do, they're freaks. This climber is not like you and me. Maybe he's the only one who's free climbed that wall, maybe there's been others. There are other freaks out there.

What I did love was the entire video's portrayal of the guy, the build up and the actual filming of the feat. Stellar work, no doubt. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, MK.

The stakes for a DH racer simply aren't comparable. DH racers retire when their career is over, where pretty much every free climber of note has fallen to their death.

What they didn't mention in that video was that he solo'd El Capitan after he finished Half-dome... that same day (5k vertical in 11 hours).

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Great vid!

here is another one i found a while back and there are a few moments where is squirmed in my chair!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

a dad
    Jan 2004
    That was really cool..and crazy... how do i get the link for that, would like to share it with someone..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I'm not sure glorifying free climbing is that good of an idea. Some kid can watch this and say I'm going to free climb some stuff around Boulder--so easy for the kid to get over his head and die. Just start climbing 50ft up and realize oh sh*t now I'm screwed.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think this is the same as big wave surfing or something like the Red Bull crazies.

Big wave surfing or big dirt jumps, you don't try the really big stuff until you've hurt yourself on the mid size stuff enough.

Or maybe I'm wrong and just don't see it. I don't get running a marathon either
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    There is NO WAY you could compare this to downhilling. I'm not a climber at all, but what this guy is doing is about the most pure physical act a person can do. He is using no technology, no safety net, and can make NO mistakes.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj
    I'm not sure glorifying free climbing is that good of an idea. Some kid can watch this and say I'm going to free climb some stuff around Boulder--so easy for the kid to get over his head and die. Just start climbing 50ft up and realize oh sh*t now I'm screwed.

If someone is really that stupid, then it is just a matter of time before they find something equally dangerous to kill them. And I would say that video is VERY clear about the risk involved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    If someone is really that stupid, then it is just a matter of time before they find something equally dangerous to kill them. And I would say that video is VERY clear about the risk involved.
    The quote in the vid that said "I think he's going to live a long wonderful life" or something like that had me going

He's pretty much done the undoable at his tender age, what's left---the un-undoable that he will pay the price on? Probably. As opposed to Red Bull Rampage stuff where the riders look for gnarlier and gnalier lines, the penalty for this climber's finally finding something he can't climb is sure death, but what a way to go, I guess. Not for me or anyone else to caution him, he's the only one to know when to quit. He'll leave a legacy of cool vids, though.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    What I don't quite understand is why not wear a base jumping parachute or some other chute for that inevitable life ending mistake? (I do get that these are purists and all, but why not wear a little pack?).

Bill, here's a link:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjM3MTcyOTgw.html

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    What I don't quite understand is why not wear a base jumping parachute or some other chute for that inevitable life ending mistake? (I do get that these are purists and all, but why not wear a little pack?).

Bill, here's a link:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjM3MTcyOTgw.html

_MK
    You and I are on the exact same page, MK. Why indeed not wear a bjp? I'm as blown away by this guy's skilz as anyone but there's a limit to how much I admire his being so cavalier about the whole life/death issue. "Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse".

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    XCguy, IMO he doesn't wear a base jump pack because that would mean he's thinking of the possibility of failure, or at least acknowledging it could happen. It's clear that he doesn't let failure slip into his mind (except when he's on that ledge 1800 feet up), and the base jump pack would only stress that aspect of his climbing.

Rigid in Evergreen
    He's also pretty well known for his sport climbing, so it's not like free climbing is his only thing.

And then there is this guy:

Making the impossible, possible: Climber scales the Eiger without safety equipment, then jumps off

trail waggler
    That was awesome MK_!!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

mtbr member
    WOW!! That was just plain Uber impressive