mtbr member

Opinions on Bluesky Trail

I rode Bluesky trail today north to south and back. From north (Soderburg trailhead close to Fort Collins) it is a nice flowing single track. The trail I might use to introduce beginners to mountain biking. Pretty smooth and no real difficult climbs.

But there are a few dangerous spots. The trail builders but a few tight turns right into blind corners, ditch crossings or simply at the end of a long woopy speed section.

So if you feel like spinning - no need for a road bike any more. Take a XC bike to Bluesky trail. If you like to put in a bit of a climp take the Indian Summer trail. That is a loop off the Bluesky trail almost in the middle.

The trail gets a bit more technical at the south end (Devil's Backbone, Fort Collins). Note worthy is the ascend from the valley to the Hunter's Loop. Loose sand, a couple of switchbacks and a three steps. All rideable, but it might take a second attempt to clean it.

From there on the trail is the know Devil's Backbone. Pretty rough in spots.

The bad news is that Hunter's Loop isn't a loop anymore. The upper section is now hikers only. Don't know when they will close trails as announced in Horsetooth Mountain Park. But it sucks. For technical riders Bluesky trail is no substitute for the closed trails. However, I am sure many XC riders will love it.

Again - it is the trail you may want to use to introduce somebody to mountainbiking. And maybe some good comes of that.

Klaus

loco
    Thanks for the input. I'll have to try that ride out sometime. Too bad about the Hunter's loop. I'm glad I was able to ty it out a few months back before it closed.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Did you try the Indian Summer trail ?

If it's where I think it is just SW of and across the valley from the Blue Sky link-up to Rimrock, it looked pretty nice from Rimrock 2 weeks ago.

Shattering Glass
    Rode the trail today and my group agreed it was our new favorite trail with a few exceptions. The closures at devils backbone are BS . I can not understand why they would close a trail that i have only seen maybe 5 hikers on in all the times I've been there and it's not like you can really get some speed on it since it's so rocky. I would like to see a reopening of one of those loops in the future since the nice section by the actual backbone is closed to bikers and thats where most hikers visit. Besides that this trail has some really nice flow for the most part and is nice and long with beautiful views of the cliffs. tight and twisty by the rez with some blind spots and soft surface that time should change. Ther will definatly be some tech spots popping up in time but for now some sweet singletrack. Indian summer is very worthwhile and IMO should be done from the south as coming sown that section sucks as it is an old loose doubletrack road whereas the real fun would be doing the downhill on the north side. Beautiful rock formations and gardens of yucca and flowers. Very unique!! The connectors to so many different areas make this as epic as you want it. For a grand opening it was really low on traffic today and cooler than we thought with a sweet breeze andBLUE skies

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Im down with a back injury for a while,...darn trials bike

I have been anticipating that trail opening for months and months, I can live through your posts and PICTURES.....thx.

That trail report sounds exactly what this area needs, some rolling terrain trail that you can make as hard as you pedal........Somewhere where you can get some miles in the dirt.....as far as trail closures go...that really makes no sense at all !! wtf

Post up some pics.
    Hello from Colorful Colorado

slow
    Hit it at 7:00am on opening day, in order to avoid the crowds and heat. Only saw a few other riders on the north end, but by the time I got to the south end, the place was crawling with bikers, runners, and hikers. Seemed like most everyone was doing it from the south. I rode from Fort Collins up CR 38e and jumped on. Rode to the Indian Summer Trail and rode that loop counter clock-wise, or north to south, then went on and finished at Devil's Backbone. Since it seemed like it was getting crowded, I opted for a return pavement trip up Glade road through Masonville, making a nice 35 miler.

The trail was a bit tacky from rain the night before, but still loose. It could use some packing down and will be smooth and fast. I agree with the above posts, that from Soderburg to Indian Creek is a good place for newer riders. The trail has great views and flows nicely. The climb out of Indian Creek up to the DB trails is a blast. There are a couple of bridges hanging onto the side of the hill, and some steps, but all are totally rideable. Of course, the DB stuff is rough and technical as usual.

I think Indian Summer loop would be better ridden South to North, or clockwise. The way I did it had a nice single track climb, but then descended a switchback road cut. I would rather have climbed the road cut and descended the single track. (A good ride for someone who is short on time would be to come in on Coyote Ridge and do Indian Summer and then back to their car at Coyote Ridge).

Overall rating: Very good.

Photos:
    1. Swoopy section of trail at the north end.
    2. James on his SS blowing doors on me climbing Indian Summer (good riding with you, James)
    3. View of Loveland from top of Indian Summer
    4. Looking back down the climb out of the Indian Creek area (cool riding with you, guy in CSU jersey on YETI big bike)
    5. Obligatory flower shot
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    decided to do the ride at noon.....screw the back injury !!
    started from the bone side not knowing what to expect, I was greeted by a FS dude at the top of the steep climb near the new diversion sign...said hello and went on my way not bothered at all by the closure of the clockwise trail....got to the back loop junction diversion sign and wondered why they are sending us counter clockwise with the rock ledges pointing right in your face the intire time....( I love technical trails like that, but the wife and most people I ride with hate em ) Ok !! got through that crap pushing my bike trying not to trash my back anymore than it is....

Onto the new trail with a monster smile on my face...holly crap, this is like MTB paradise when you get up the trail to the overlook...bunch of nice guy's at the top hootin and hollerin about how awesome it is.....

Started down the switchbacks and few steps and began hootin and hollerin myself...what a frickin awesome trail...

x2 on new favorite trail.....

continued past the 2 giant trees and dried up river crossing and named that spot...big tree crossing for a meeting spot with friends coming from the north....passed by the indian trail and headed up to the coyote trail...couple of get off's on the switch backs cause of sand and loose gravel..did the upper coyote loop and now was over looking the blue sky trail...........better yell out DROPPING IN on that section......it is steep and loose coming back down to the blue sky tail from coyote,,,,but what a blast....

went a few more miles north and turned around about where the monster houses are along the dirt road....

On the way back I started up indian, and turned around cause of lack of water and energy.....

ALL in ALL...I rate that trail a firm 8...most likely a 10 when I am healthy and can continue up some service roads at horse tooth and make for a perfect 30-40 mile ride..

Cheers.
    T.
    Hello from Colorful Colorado

"Oldfart from Wayback"

This "Will" be a "Fun" Trail

But not right now. I rode it Sat. 6/17/06, N to S, taking advantage of the break in the heat wave. I almost bailed when a huge rattlesnake struck, but just missed me, 1/2 mi out from the underpass ! I had to stop for a good 15 min. to get the heart rate back down to where I could ride again

Loose, loose and more loose Most of the trail was the consistancy of sifted flour from the lack of rain after the trail work. I saw 2 accidents; one minor, one serious due to the soft trail. Line of sight visibility for about 50% of the first 1 1/2 mi is only a few bike lengths. This is never going to be a trail to bomb down !!

Indian Summer was a really fun loop going clockwise as most people recommended. The pleasant surprise was the "doubletrack" road at the S end. The "road" is so ancient, it's entirely overgrown, not loose at all, and easily ridable up the perfect "single track" cut by ?? Much, much easier than Coyote Ridge

As ridden on 6/17/06, down to the S end of Indian Summer, around Indian Summer and back to HT, there is NO technical difficulty at all, other than the loose surface and a few tight corners. Pineridge OS is more technical than Blue Sky ! It is a deceptive trail none the less ! There are no "major" climbs, but there are several, much steeper sections. It's one of those strange trails that feels the same ridden either direction, equal amounts of climbing/ descending. The climb/descent from HT in the current trail conditions, is not what I'd call a "beginner trail". It is very tight, with no view ahead, and requires at least a little trail savy and bike handling ability on the totally loose trail.

I jumped on it last weekend just to see what it was like, in almost normal heat. I won't be back 'till Fall/Winter after we "hopefully" get some rain and a lot more traffic to get it into a really "rideable" condition.

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    Loose, loose and more loose Most of the trail was the consistancy of sifted flour from the lack of rain after the trail work. I saw 2 accidents; one minor, one serious due to the soft trail. Line of sight visibility for about 50% of the first 1 1/2 mi is only a few bike lengths. This is never going to be a trail to bomb down !!
    Yep, I bit it fairly hard last week just a bit north of the rimrock turnoff...well after the bit of decent. The trail at that point was flat and wide, I just got caught in the quicksand and pitched to the side. No endo, fortunatley--but man, it happened quick. Other than that, I really like the trail. It has a great flow. It'd be awesome without the loose stuff...

"Oldfart from Wayback"

No, this was S of Rimrock

Guy in front of me lost it on an "easy"section and was sure he'd broken something. I hung with him for quite awhile, checked him out, until he decided he'd only "pulled"" something. I made sure he had a cell phone w/ reception and then still followed him quite a ways to make sure he was OK.

slow
    Rode it on Saturday for the second time. I think I am bored with it now. Rode it as the tail end of a Michaud, Lory, HTMP loop, and it didn't have as much excitement as the rest of those. Will be good to add mileage this winter, and to take my kids on.

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    I made sure he had a cell phone w/ reception and then still followed him quite a ways to make sure he was OK.
    I was actually surprised how good phone reception was back there...I checked after my mishap, and sure enough, five bars.

ewl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was actually surprised how good phone reception was back there...
    Judging the proximity to some of the ginormous mcmansions back there I'm sure cell phone coverage was a prerequisite before building...

But as far as the trail goes I rode it Sunday afternoon. The trail itself is fun, nice rolling terrain some fun little climbs that you can crank through. Definitely a little loose still, but a great way to get in some extra miles.

I just kept thinking in the heat of Sunday afternoon how nice a ride it will be in November.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    hit it yesterday. backbone--->blue sky--->indian summer (clockwise) then back down. it was getting hotter than i wanted, so i bagged doing more until i can hit it earlier or on a cooler day.

non technical. dry and loose. the former may change a bit with time and erosion, the latter just needs a bit of traffic and moisture.

when things get nicely packed down, it'll be a really fast rolling ride. nice early morning ride, and a particularly nice night ride, i'm thinking. not bad. sorta' the smooth, creamy center, with lumpy techy outer bits.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I'm thinking the opposite; at least in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    nice early morning ride, and a particularly nice night ride, i'm thinking.

Blue Sky hugs the W facing slopes really tight. It would be a great sheltered ride EARLY in the AM and an awful ride in the PM during the summer. I'm 'hoping" that because of it's aspect that it doesn't accumulate too much snow/ice in the winter because that would be the prime time for an evening ride.
    Last edited by onbelaydave; 06-19-2006 at 10:51 PM.