Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Only one day to ride, first time in CO.

My wife and I are taking a week vacation to the area in August (12-18th.) She's not a huge rider, so I think I'll be by myself for a day epic while she goes to the spa in Boulder

If you had one day, where would you ride? I'm from Michigan, ride a light 1x9 XC bike, and love all parts of riding. I ride "advanced" trails in the Midwest, so I would assume that would be your intermediate trails

If I bring the road bike for some early morning rides, anyone have recommendations on that?

Thanks! If anyone is free, I'd love to ride with a group.

Edit: Also if there is something/somewhere we must go see while there, please let me know. We like both things in town and off the beaten path (day hikes are great) and we'll have our pup with us, so it needs to be pet friendly

Brewery tour is already on the list.

mtbr member
    50 miles outside of town is Buffalo Creek, you would probably really like that type of riding. On the outskirts of town in the foothills are many Jeffco Parks, some very techy some not. You might try White Ranch for a combination of terrain. Google em' and you get an idea of what these parks are like.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Buff Creek would be good on a 1x9. Plus it's at a little elevation so will be cooler.

Where are you staying? Sounds like Boulder.

lucky enough
    If you're staying in Boulder and want a road ride, I"d recommend heading North out of town along 36, then turn West and ride up Lefthand Canyon. Head to Jamestown (don't turn left to Ward unless you're up for punishment).
    For hikes in Boulder I'd head to Chautauqua and hike along the Mesa trail. Or drive up Lefthand Canyon to Ward and the Peak to Peak highway and jog over to the road to Brainard Lake. Lots of nice trails below the Continental Divide up there.

Oh and drink lots of water - at this elevation you need it.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

banned
    Jun 2012
    If it needs to be Boulder Area - Get a map such as latitude40 and go to Nederland. Note west magnolia trails are closed (check forest service or BMA website) but the other trails are open.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Buff Creek in August is not going to be cooler, unless you ride early or late. There's a good chance it will still be hot and dry, which means lots of sandy riding (unless it rains prior to your visit).

If you need to ride around Boulder, I'd recommend a combination of rides: Walker Ranch in the morning. Then head to Pearl Street or the Hill and grab some lunch and relax for a couple hours. Then head up to Lyons and ride Hall Ranch for a couple of hours. In the immediate vicinity of Boulder there aren't many rides that will take you more than a couple hours, unless you want to link a few together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    Buff Creek would be good on a 1x9. Plus it's at a little elevation so will be cooler.

Where are you staying? Sounds like Boulder.
    Staying just outside of Boulder for the first 4 nights, in Denver for the last two. I'm fine driving 50 miles or so outside of Boulder to ride, as long as there is enough to keep my wife occupied carless in town. If it somewhere that I just HAVE to ride farther than that, I'll likely rent a car for her

Oh and drink lots of water - at this elevation you need it.
    Thanks for the ride/hike recommendations, and yeah running a 1/2 marathon in Denver that Sat, interested to see how that goes

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I would recommend the trail network just up from Boulder near Rollinsville.
    the primary area up there is called "West Magnolia", which is closed while they thin the forest... However, the trails to south of main riding area remain open.
    It will be higher up and cooler.
    Being higher up will help you with your run on Saturday.
    Its close to Boulder so you won't gone too long... could also possibly have the wife drop you off and meet you in Nederland (you'd have to ride some pavement to avoid the closures), which is an cool little mountain town.
    The climb may be a little stiff on a 1x9 but it will be doable.... and if you do have to hike sections... oh darn it's amazingly beautiful up there)

Here is a link to a suggested loop:
    School Bus from Rollinsville

The down hill is long, fun, and as the person who introduced me to the trail said, "It's classic rocky mountain single track"

I live just east of Boulder and would be happy to meet up with you if it works out. let me know, good luck

lucky enough
    Nice more technical mountain bike rides up high from Boulder (and cooler) would be Sourdough - Little Raven - South Saint Vrain combos. Accessible from the Peak to Peak highway.

Thread Terrorist
    SSV? What do you guys think?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Videos from SSV look like a blast. I'm wondering if throwing the climbing, altitude, and rocks all at myself at once is the wisest choice though

Is it mostly like this?
    S St Vrain 2011 last - YouTube

Copper Harbor, MI has been so far my most advanced trail experience.
    Andrew Shandro and Slash at Copper Harbor, MI - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    is this ride of which you speak?
    Foosker's Rock

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post
    Videos from SSV look like a blast. I'm wondering if throwing the climbing, altitude, and rocks all at myself at once is the wisest choice though

Is it mostly like this?
    S St Vrain 2011 last - YouTube
    Yep, that's pretty representative.

lucky enough

greater Betasso - Benjamin

You may prefer this one - just 20 minutes up the Boulder Creek bike path then up Four Mile to the new connector to Benjamin-Betasso.

Betasso-four mile link opens today.

it's not a lollipop - or double lollipop now, it's spectacles - two adjacent loops with entry from two ends. :skip:

Don't let those stairs psyche you out - those loops are smooth cruising.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Absolutely. He should go for this.

mtbr member
    I really appreciate all the suggestions everyone. I'll make another post a week or so before to see if anyone wants a weekday ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't ride SSV. Although a fantastic* ride, that's a big ride for someone new to CO. Climbing, altitude and rocks indeed. Go ride something you'll enjoy. Save this trail like a fine wine, something you'll enjoy once you have a taste for it.

*I mean that's the *****.

**The **** being... it.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    He's from MI - the poor bahstid should ride the f****in' goods. He might never get the chance again...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    He's from MI - the poor bahstid should ride the f****in' goods. He might never get the chance again...
    Every video I've seen so far makes it look fun...
    Lower Ceran St. Vrain Trail - YouTube

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post
    Every video I've seen so far makes it look fun...
    Lower Ceran St. Vrain Trail - YouTube
    It *is* fun. Great fun. Gnarly sweet fun.

Do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd also recommend the Avery Brewery while you are here.
    Avery Brewing Company - Just another WordPress site

in particular...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    I'd also recommend the Avery Brewery while you are here.
    Avery Brewing Company - Just another WordPress site

in particular...
    Luckliy they distribute to West Michigan, but I plan on hitting as many of the locals as I can

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Bring Bell's Two-Hearted for the locals, dammit!

Now older but less slow!
    On a 1x9? I'm guessing short travel at that? It would be brutal going up. Okay coming down. Also, unless the OP is seriously fit, he will be severely oxygen starved at that altitude.

If you are a glutton for punishment I say do it. Otherwise you may be better off staying on the lower elevation trails.

マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    Don't forget to try some of the Mexican Food while you're here... it isn't what they serve in
    Michigan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast