Rocky Mountain High

One Day in Golden

I'll be in Golden around March 22nd or 23rd and was wondering 1) are the trails rideable yet, and 2) what one trail should I not miss for my one ride?

Thanks.
    What have I told you about thinking?

Bad Andy
    Kinda depends what you like, but looks like you're from Durango -
    White Ranch would probably be hard to go wrong (unless there's snow between now and then). A good tough climb, some techy, and good views.
    Trails are all pretty rideable right now.

Rocky Mountain High
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Kinda depends what you like, but looks like you're from Durango -
    White Ranch would probably be hard to go wrong (unless there's snow between now and then). A good tough climb, some techy, and good views.
    Trails are all pretty rideable right now.
    Yeah, looking for an advanced ride....I'm fine with (and seeking) tough climbing and technical descending.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    White Ranch for sure.

Total crapshoot on whether it'll be rideable then.

Rocky Mountain High
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    White Ranch for sure.

Total crapshoot on whether it'll be rideable then.
    Thanks. How far is it from town? I will be without vehicle for the day.

Light freak
    If the weather is still holding out, I would suggest Apex - http://www.jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/apxmp.pdf

Apex / Pick-n-Sledge / Grubstake / Sluicebox / Apex / Ecnchanted Forest / Apex

Also Dakota Ridge / Matthew Winters - http://www.jeffco.us/jeffco/openspac...ds/mattwin.pdf

or even up Chimney Gulch (Lookout Mountain) - http://www.jeffco.us/jeffco/openspac...ads/windys.pdf connect to Apex from the top and then go down thru Enchanted Forest

Here are the parks along the Front Range - http://www.jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R108.htm

Moosehead
    +1 up chimney/lookout, south to apex, down enchanted forest to bottom apex, climb back up picknsledge/grub/sluice to top of apex back north and down chimney/lookout.

aka the horseshoe. plus you can ride from and to town and finish with a beer or 10.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint John
    Trailhead's about... 4 miles from town?

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint John
    From Down Town Golden, White ranch is about 2 miles, and about 20 minutes bike ride (its a little uphill). Prolly 8 minutes back. Chimney gulch to APex is a great one from down town, and it about 10 minutes via bike ride to get there.

Not having a car, you'll be in a good spot.

IE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    +1 up chimney/lookout, south to apex, down enchanted forest to bottom apex, climb back up picknsledge/grub/sluice to top of apex back north and down chimney/lookout.

aka the horseshoe. plus you can ride from and to town and finish with a beer or 10.
    Chimney/Apex goes great together. I quit doing this with friends cuz they always wanna bail out and just take the bike path back to Chimney instead of reversing and going back up Apex down Chimney.

mtbr member
    I've only ridden it once, but i was actually not a big fan of the White Ranch climb. There were too many loose rocks. The downhill was pretty nice though. I do love Apex to Dakota though, and i personally love Mt Falcon. The climb is a real endurance test, and the way back down is awesome if you go balls out.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by raceface9465
    I've only ridden it once, but i was actually not a big fan of the White Ranch climb. There were too many loose rocks.
    The Belcher climb has little to do with fun. It's a grind. The loops at the top, however, and the "alternate" routes back down are the best in the Golden area IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Belcher climb has little to do with fun. It's a grind.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's like a shuttle that you have to peddle.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    The Belcher climb has little to do with fun. It's a grind. The loops at the top, however, and the "alternate" routes back down are the best in the Golden area IMO.
    ah, see when i went, the south side was 100% dry, and then all the stuff on the North side was somewhat snowed over and had some mud along the way. I didn't do many of the loops at the top, just Maverick to Longhorn back to the bottom. The DH looked sick despite the snow, i'll give it that, i just didn't enjoy the climb as much as i do Mt Falcon and Apex. I look forward to doing WR again with the north face clear and dry though.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by raceface9465
    ah, see when i went, the south side was 100% dry, and then all the stuff on the North side was somewhat snowed over and had some mud along the way. I didn't do many of the loops at the top, just Maverick to Longhorn back to the bottom. The DH looked sick despite the snow, i'll give it that, i just didn't enjoy the climb as much as i do Mt Falcon and Apex. I look forward to doing WR again with the north face clear and dry though.
    Yes... you need to ride WR more before counseling others not to.

mtbr member
    Yes... you need to ride WR more before counseling others not to.
    I never said not to ride it, i just said i wasn't a big fan of the climb, which others seemed to agree with me on.

percocet pioneer.
    you picked the wrong day to be here because the Apex DH race is on the 22nd and 23rd..

Rocky Mountain High
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    you picked the wrong day to be here because the Apex DH race is on the 22nd and 23rd..
    I don't mind other visitors. Are they using every single trail in the Golden area?