Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Medicine Wheel Guy

One Aggro DHer...

is NOT happy with Mr. Philips' latest writeup:

http://gazetteoutthere.blogspot.com/...are-angry.html

While I can understand he might have been a little peeved about "his" trail being publicized, this kind of response does nobody any good.

Colorado

eci
    wow, ive known about said trail for a while and honestly its not for the faint of heart. This is gonna attract some 16 yo dumb kid who will loose his brakes and then the trail is closed. HOOORRRRAY!

Human Crayon
    ^^ agreed. I haven't seen the trail before, but some things are better left untold.

Sounds pretty badass though.
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Yeah - what an aggro downhiller, the nerve of some people. Say, ever wonder why there aren't more of us aggro types bombing the shite out of trails like Apex? Think it might have something to do with the existence of more appropriate spots? Nah, couldn't be.

I love how the pompous clown who wrote the original piece feels the need to belittle the (understandably) upset DHer who wrote in, over his spelling. What a class act.

The only one served by this brand of stupidity is Mr. Phillips, hopefully he enjoys the new found street cred (among those who are too stupid to know better) that comes with outing somebody's stash.
    Now with more vitriol!

Your retarded
    Martlet and Drop the Seat, I realize that your links are intended to be helpful and provide insight into what this thread is about, but would you please remove them? I ask because this trail does not need the extra publicity and your links are unintentionally giving it just that. Thank you.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Shoulda went faster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Martlet and Drop the Seat, I realize that your links are intended to be helpful and provide insight into what this thread is about, but would you please remove them? I ask because this trail does not need the extra publicity and your links are unintentionally giving it just that. Thank you.

I second that. Please remove the links.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Are you kidding me? Pretending that this trail doesn't exist when, apparently, anyone who might want to ride it in the Springs area knows about it, is ridiculous. If a report can sniff it out, I'm thinking any savvy bike kid can find it pretty easy. This is a trail that is "an old route that’s been on local maps for decades, and may date back to the era of the stagecoach." If it's dangerous, or potentially dangerous, it needs to be treated as such publically, like the free ride trail off the Lunch Loop in Grand Junction. Pushing it underground isn't going to help the sport.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Rolling
    George Bush will delete it for you ya.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    I love how the pompous clown who wrote the original piece feels the need to belittle the (understandably) upset DHer who wrote in, over his spelling. What a class act.

The only one served by this brand of stupidity is Mr. Phillips, hopefully he enjoys the new found street cred (among those who are too stupid to know better) that comes with outing somebody's stash.
    To be fair, the DH guy as belittling him for doing his job as a reporter. Neither too the high road.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone to have a properly sanctioned trail to exist safely into the future for us and future users, as opposed to a secret one?

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    George Bush will delete if you ya.
    McCain just wants to be friends with the trail and Obama wants to talk to it.

Team Inflexible

I Heart Dave Phillips

Thanks for posting the links please keep them up. I am riding this with 20- 30 of my joe blow buddies tonight. We are tuning our Next and Pacifica bikes as we speak.

Colorado Springs riding is now destroyed forever.

mtbr member
    I think Phillips has a good point in the fact that the trail is on a map, so the whole illegal/public thing is debateable.

But, as a gravity guy, I feel for the DH'ers who maintain "their" trail and its secret, only to see a piece on it written up for the public to see. I'd be pissed too.

If all of us gravity types would stop building super secret stashes to satisfy themselves and start coming together as a community, and get legitimate, legal gnar trails, this type of stuff might dissappear. Canada did it. Why can't we? Eh?
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Team Inflexible
    truthfully George W has blockaded the entire south side of the springs to prevent riders from approaching this top secret trail. I would remove all links before the CIA breaks down your door.

http://outdoors.coloradosprings.com/...ils.php?id=106 oops

mtbr member
    Crosspost from the other thread on this story:

Bashing the reporter, who genuinely seems like a proponent of MTB, is to engage in a kind of localism/territorialism that reflects poorly on mountain biking and mountain bikers. It's really too bad if that is what MTBing is degenerating to on the Front Range, though I guess it is a predictable trend. The only ones who end up looking like "poop stains" are folks doing damage to the feel-good vibe that generally permeates the sport.

Colorado
    This is perhaps the most insane trail in the region -- an old route thatís been on local maps for decades, and may date back to the era of the stagecoach, it has been co-opted by mountain bikers who have added jumps and other stunts.

To Get There: From I-25 take exit 138,, Circle Drive. Go west on Circle Drive until it becomes Lake Avenue. At the foot of the Broadmoor hotel, go left around a traffic circle onto Lake Circle, which becomes Portales Road. Veer right onto Mirada Road, which raps to the west, becoming West Cheyenne Mountain Boulevard, then Old Stage Road. Where Old Stage turns to dirt, reset your odometer. Drive just over 3.8 miles to a small pull-off on the right next to a U.S. Forest Service regulations sign. Park here.

Trip Log: Insanely technical and steep. 5.1 miles, 1,540 feet elevation gain.

The Hike: This ride begins with a grueling pedal up Old Stage Road. Ride just over two miles up the road to a junction with Gold Camp Road. Turn right. Follow the road as it contours gently down and around to the north, then west. After a sharp turn to the northeast, just under four miles from the start, the road climbs slightly. Follow bike tracks to an unmarked trail cutting off to the right. Prepare yourself. A narrow singletrack plunges through the woods. The trail is often rocky and narrow. Only experienced cyclists (with health insurance) should even attempt it. At 4.5 miles the trail passes two wrecked cars that have been rusting in the forest for decades. Here is the trailís crux. Someone has built a 10-foot gap jump here, followed by a steep turn and a rock drop. Even walking it is difficult. Imagining riders who can tackle these stunts is both impressive and terrifying. From there, the trail continues down, over several smaller jumps and berms, rock gardens, and other bruise-inducing features. It empties out on Old Stage Road just uphill from the parking area.

Details: Notes: Not recommended for hikers, dogs, horses or most mountain bikers.

Dogs: no

Rating: 4 Boots A scale of one to four boots. One is easiest, with little elevation gain, and it is at a reasonable altitude. Four is most difficult, with severe elevation gain, difficult terrain or extreme length or altitude.

Region: Cheyenne Mtn/Canyon

Great for: biking

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Wouldn't it be better for everyone to have a properly sanctioned trail to exist safely into the future for us and future users, as opposed to a secret one?
    Definitely - I just don't believe that this sort of thing takes us any closer to that end. It strikes me as a case of "look how cool I am".

I'm all for good public trails, and have no problem throwing dirt to see it happen, but the fact of the matter is that efforts thus far have proven woefully inadequate for the majority of (serious) DH types. While I'll readily admit that I am not directly involved in negotiations for these sort of public trails, it would appear that the biggest obstacle is not manpower, but liability. I just don't see public (not for profit) DH trails with big features happening around here anytime soon. Under these circumstances, it makes sense that those in the DH community would chafe at the thought of "their" trails being thrust into the public eye by anyone, let alone some schmuck who in all likelihood has never so much as brushed a twig from said trail(s).
    Now with more vitriol!

Colorado
    If anyone wants to ride this SUPER SICKY GNAR TRAIL with me I'll be there this weekend with my NEXT.

I just bought some DH tires and a full face, so I'm not worried.

Seriously, get real to the people who said remove links to site. If anyone wants to go there they can search for it, but now they don't have to.

There are "hidden" trails all over this country, and while I've never ridden this I-35, I would place a large bet that it isn't that big of a deal compared to many other "hidden" and "non-hidden" trails.

**** it, how many people on a Mountain Bike forum are going to go c-u-n-t up this trail anyway... I doubt many if any at all.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    If all of us gravity types would stop building super secret stashes to satisfy themselves and start coming together as a community, and get legitimate, legal gnar trails, this type of stuff might dissappear. Canada did it. Why can't we? Eh?
    Part of my probelm with criticism of Phillips is that we're talking about public land, which, last time I checked, was owned by everyone. If you really want complete control over a trail and to make it as gnar as you want, pay up and do it on private land.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Definitely - I just don't believe that this sort of thing takes us any closer to that end. It strikes me as a case of "look how cool I am".

I'm all for good public trails, and have no problem throwing dirt to see it happen, but the fact of the matter is that efforts thus far have proven woefully inadequate for the majority of (serious) DH types. While I'll readily admit that I am not directly involved in negotiations for these sort of public trails, it would appear that the biggest obstacle is not manpower, but liability. I just don't see public (not for profit) DH trails with big features happening around here anytime soon. Under these circumstances, it makes sense that those in the DH community would chafe at the thought of "their" trails being thrust into the public eye by anyone, let alone some schmuck who in all likelihood has never so much as brushed a twig from said trail(s).
    I don't know Phiilips, so I can't even guess at his motivations.

However, like I mentioned in another post, it's hard for me to feel bad for DH guys with secret trails because this is public land. If you can more or less do whatever you want on private land. I understand that's economically pretty difficult, but that's our legal system.

They also had success in the Junk with the Free Lunch Loop, didn't they? And there are ski resorts.

Here's a piece on public land liability. http://www.imba.com/resources/manage..._immunity.html Private land liability is different and, if I'm not mistaken, the Legislature has passed laws to protect private landowners from fools that hurt themselves.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that liability is really that big of an issue considering the proliferation of skateparks.

mtbr member
    Part of my probelm with criticism of Phillips is that we're talking about public land, which, last time I checked, was owned by everyone. If you really want complete control over a trail and to make it as gnar as you want, pay up and do it on private land.
    I think you're missing my point.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

nice marmot.
    From what I can tell, the trail has existed for awhile. I get that these guys put some man hours into it and don't want to see it get shut down, but thats the risk you take. I have spent many hours digging dirt jumps over the course of my life, only to see them eventually get plowed or ruined by other riders. In some cases, I've spent 10X more time working a spot than riding it. It happens. Its the risk you take. Get over it.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    I think you're missing my point.
    I see your point that the dh community should come to getther, unify and build legal trails, mooting the issue.

I was just pondering a tangential thought.

Rolling
    Hey you people who want the links deleted, start posting things that violate the rules and Francis will take care of it for you!

Otherwise, the more you post, the more you keep it at the top=more views.

I see your point that the dh community should come to getther, unify and build legal trails, mooting the issue. .
    Hold on there....It is a legal trail. It's that it's not secret anymore is the DH communities beef at the moment. Appears exclusivity is the real issue. Any "known" legal trails will have a fundamental problem that they are known.

... Say, ever wonder why there aren't more of us aggro types bombing the shite out of trails like Apex? Think it might have something to do with the existence of more appropriate spots? ...
    So do you think now that the trail is known, it changes the trail from being an "appropriate" spot to DH?

Stand back
    Yeah - what an aggro downhiller, the nerve of some people. Say, ever wonder why there aren't more of us aggro types bombing the shite out of trails like Apex? Think it might have something to do with the existence of more appropriate spots? Nah, couldn't be.
    When did you become an aggro type? Did you get a bunch of muscle shirts for x-mas?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast