mtbr member

Old Faithful... Cracked

Well my trusty old Schwinn has rode it's last trail. I have had this bike since '99 and it has served me well over many, many, MANY miles today I took it apart to make others work. The bike holds a lot of great memories and will be missed. However with completely shot bushings and now a crack in the rear shock mount it is time to retire it. The good news however is that I was able to build up a different SS and fix up my other Schwinn with what was on Old Faithful. So out of 1 comes 2 in a way. I had a Trek frame given to me that is now up and running, and last week I blew the rear shock on my other Schwinn. Now they are both up and going.

Hard to see in this pic, but the end all

What sadly remains

The now repaired and built

And a couple pictures of the last day, the last trail Old Faithful and I did

I will miss my Ol' buddy.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Sorry for your loss - may your bike RIP. I've seen pics of that bike all over Colorado, by now. It sure sounds like that bike had a long and wonderful life with you. Try to remember the good times... maybe mount that baby on the garage wall as a token of your love? lol

Good luck with the other bikes - I hope they serve you as well for even longer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was wondering how long you were gonna rock that Schwinn. Till it died, I guess. I'm guessing you haven't ridden any "new" suspension types. When you do you will be amazed how far suspension has come. I have a FS frame from 1998 that I haven't ridden since 1999, it's been wall art.

Time to explore the new wild world of modern suspension, man. It will be a revelation.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    sorry for the loss! - Cut a cylindrical piece of solid steel to fit - tap into that hole and weld it - that bracket wont go anywhere!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    I am going to keep the frame as wall art, clean it up and hang it. I thought about doing a repair to it but it may be time to let this bike rest. I have ridden some of the newer bikes, they are great. However finacially I am unable to purchase a new bike right now and I have others to ride!

My cup runneth over
    RIP red Schwinn. Thanks for all the pics. It's not going to be the same seeing something else in Rover's threads.

Ha - Ridden into the ground, the only way to go!

danaco
    You might consider a late model used bike, one or two years old for dime's on the dollar. There are even new rigs that will far outperform your current bikes for about a grand or less, especially during these months.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    sorry for the loss! - Cut a cylindrical piece of solid steel to fit - tap into that hole and weld it - that bracket wont go anywhere!
    Yes!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Can't weld steel to aluminum... it's probably best as garage art now.

OP: I agree with others, check out a 21st century bike.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I would usually be the first to say get a new bike, but I actually always like seeing Funrover's posts with the pics of 10 year old mtb still going strong. I love it when folks rock what they got.

These days I tend to ride new stuff, but back in the late 90's/early 2000's I was almost always on early 90's stuff.

The only bad bike is one unridden! The ride is the stoke, not the "ride"
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Can't weld steel to aluminum... it's probably best as garage art now.
    I used that term "weld" too loosely i guess
    Name:  jb.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  8.9 KB
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Oh, So Interesting!
    I used that term "weld" too loosely i guess
    Name:  jb.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  8.9 KB
    lol, that'll work! Should give her another 10 years...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Home of the Gravedigger
    Funrover...I think it is time to embrace 4" tires....I've seen you lurking on the Fatbike forum!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaber View Post
    Funrover...I think it is time to embrace 4" tires....I've seen you lurking on the Fatbike forum!
    Whatever do you mean?!?!?! I do drool over them a little.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I would usually be the first to say get a new bike, but I actually always like seeing Funrover's posts with the pics of 10 year old mtb still going strong. I love it when folks rock what they got.

These days I tend to ride new stuff, but back in the late 90's/early 2000's I was almost always on early 90's stuff.

The only bad bike is one unridden! The ride is the stoke, not the "ride"
    Hell yeah! Rock what you got! I will be on older bikes for a bit still.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Funrover, I know what it is like to rock an old bike. I ride a 2002 Trek fuel 98. I still love the bike, it has been good to me and I have been good to it. I would love to buy something shiny and new but my kids and pocket book say otherwise. I have explored many trails with my bike and love taking it out year after year, even though people give me crazy looks of "what are you doing on that thing".

I fear the cracked frame, the guys at the shop are always surprised I have not cracked it yet. Stay alive my chipped old frame...stay alive.

Maybe we will meet up sometime and rock the old school look together on the trails.

Cheers to keeping the relics alive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBOASIS View Post
    Funrover, I know what it is like to rock an old bike. I ride a 2002 Trek fuel 98. I still love the bike, it has been good to me and I have been good to it. I would love to buy something shiny and new but my kids and pocket book say otherwise. I have explored many trails with my bike and love taking it out year after year, even though people give me crazy looks of "what are you doing on that thing".

I fear the cracked frame, the guys at the shop are always surprised I have not cracked it yet. Stay alive my chipped old frame...stay alive.

Maybe we will meet up sometime and rock the old school look together on the trails.

Cheers to keeping the relics alive.
    I'd be up for that!

mtbr member
    I've been rocking a 2000 Specialized S-works hardtail this past fall that I picked up for cheap at a garage sale. It was meant to be a temporary bike but the thing has surprised me how well it rides. I still get made fun of by my friends but the bike has no problems keeping up.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    I am going to keep the frame as wall art, clean it up and hang it. I thought about doing a repair to it but it may be time to let this bike rest. I have ridden some of the newer bikes, they are great. However finacially I am unable to purchase a new bike right now and I have others to ride!
    Seriously that is a very easy fix! any aluminum fab shop can repair that for less than a $100. Its just a little crack people!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Seriously that is a very easy fix! any aluminum fab shop can repair that for less than a $100. Its just a little crack people!!!
    I was looking a little closer today, it's actually 3 cracks... I don't mind the retire, it has earned it. The bushings around the BB for the rear suspension are also completely gone and no longer made. It is time for me to move on. That said the bike will never leave me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    These types of cracks and the bushings were both the weak spots on the Rocket 88's. I still have mine, but it only has maybe 2000 miles, total. I just never liked the way it bobs and biopaces in the small ring. In fact, the bike is nicknamed "Bob". I also had major trouble with the original fork (Manitou Mars), which kept the miles down. I eventually replaced the Mars, but by then I had moved on to another bike, so "Bob" gets ridden maybe once a year.

Maybe I'll end up with the last viable Rocket 88 on earth. I still think the paint scheme was one of the best ever, so it is nice to look at.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    These types of cracks and the bushings were both the weak spots on the Rocket 88's. I still have mine, but it only has maybe 2000 miles, total. I just never liked the way it bobs and biopaces in the small ring. In fact, the bike is nicknamed "Bob". I also had major trouble with the original fork (Manitou Mars), which kept the miles down. I eventually replaced the Mars, but by then I had moved on to another bike, so "Bob" gets ridden maybe once a year.

Maybe I'll end up with the last viable Rocket 88 on earth. I still think the paint scheme was one of the best ever, so it is nice to look at.
    Both of the Rocket 88's I have came with the Rock Shocks Judy. After upgrading to a Marz. Bomber I really loved the ride. Keep her in great shape and you will have a classic museum piece!