mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! okay, who's got the big bucks 'round here?

according to some old kevin bacon game, shouldn't we all know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who has millions of dollars?

make some calls, people(!)...

$1 million might get bike park on track

by James Mayer, The Oregonian
    Monday April 13, 2009, 8:13 PM

A private backer has pledged $1million to help build a new destination bike park in a 35-acre no-man's land between Interstates 84 and 205 near the former Rocky Butte jail.

For now, the supporter wants to remain anonymous, but the promise of money gives the "Gateway Green" project a much-needed push, said developer and area landowner Ted Gilbert, a major supporter of the plan.

"Momentum is building, but I don't pretend it can happen overnight," Gilbert said.

The proposed park, which is on state land, would link to Portland's extensive bicycle commuting network and contain mountain bike trails, a cyclocross course and a free-riding area, he said. The trails would be in a wooded area of the site, while the southern end, with its rolling hills, is ideal for the gravity-fed activities, he said.

Gilbert said he sees the park as a "rebranding" tool for East Portland, an area of neglected neighborhoods that lack basic amenities such as sidewalks and parks.

"We want the public to take a fresh look at East Portland," he said. He said he hopes the park will offer bicycle tourism with national-caliber events. A national cyclocross championship, for example, could draw 2,000 entrants, he said.

(more online)

rubber side down
    Even if I did have $1M to spend on mountain biking, it sure as heck wouldn't be on a play park. It might be better spent on things like protecting access rights, trail maintenance, buying local politicians, bribing Jeffco Open Space officers to not give b.s. mountain biking tickets, paying legal fees for those given b.s. mtb tickets, etc...

Pivot Rider
    Big bucks would be nice! Just think, if even a few of us knew somebody who knew someone, we could build and help...

BTW, when on Lair last night I ran into a couple of rangers who were on mountain bikes. Not sure if they were just summer hires or not, but they weren't volunteers. Luckily, they had good things to say about the politeness of my ladies. They seemed friendly and open to creating good feelings. One was actually encouraging of there being a group supporting women in mountain biking and was wishing that there was more of that!!! Just a heads up.....

OH -- sorry, t -- wasn't meaning to take this OT. carry on....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member

We may have a chance.

Last I heard Mayor hicky was talking with Lance "Da Man" Armstrong about starting up some large stage bike racing in colorado. It won't build us a bike park, but the more exposure cyclists have to the general population drive bicycle sales. Which even if 5% stick with cycling could produce some highly motiviated activists. Perhaps if we get a huge stage race, it could flood the local economy. If the mayor saw that then he would definitely be more apt to invest in some recreation dollars for more open space/bike parks/whatever.

I think the easier route(which isn't easy) is getting some of the proceeds from the local lottery system allocated toward human traveled trail expansion.

But then again, I'm usually completely wrong about everything.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    Even if I did have $1M to spend on mountain biking, it sure as heck wouldn't be on a play park. It might be better spent on things like protecting access rights, trail maintenance, buying local politicians, bribing Jeffco Open Space officers to not give b.s. mountain biking tickets, paying legal fees for those given b.s. mtb tickets, etc...
    Maybe this is after he spent $10 Million on that sort of thing.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    +1

percocet pioneer.
    Alright I'll fess up. It was me. Feel free to pay me back.

Make checks payable to sally hustle. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They already had a stage race, it was called the Coors Classic, and was probably the most important domestic race in the US while it was running. Check out American Flyers, they talk all about it.

What's wrong with having a bike park? It helps get more people into the sport. You can go there with your inexperienced girlfriend and both have a good time. A lot less intimidating, and Colorado could use some better cyclocross courses.

You guys just need to move away from Denver, where the trails are a little more open and less hostile!