mtbr member

OK, how outta shape am I?

Finally got time to escape the wife and kiddos for a bit Thursday and rode from Coyote Ridge down to DB. Since this was my first serious ride in ...oh, quite awhile since I shattered my ankle a couple years ago and haven't gotten out much except to the BMX track with kids...let's just say I sucked wind (and just plain sucked but oh vell!).

Anyway, how long is it taking most of y'all to do that stretch? I don't really want to say how it took but WTF...3hrs (including changing out a flat and probably hiking a 1/3 of the way).
    Bikes=Sanity

!Vamos, flaco!
    If you gotta ask, you gotta already know . . .

But, more importantly, did you have a good time?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Rolling
    We all wanna suck..wind with you.

Where are the photos?

mtbr member
    Pabs, I know I'm off pace, just curious how bad? I was actually hoping to ride to CR to DB and back home (I'm just south of Lake Loveland) in 3-3 1/2hrs so taking that long on just the dirt part was kind of a bummer.
    And yep, it was definitely good to be back out even while telling myself how bad I was stinkin' it up.

Lidarman, um, well I took the camera with...and thought about taking a pic on my flat tire break but seeing how I was about an hour late getting home at that point and still not at the trailhead...and already had gotten called by the wifey to see where I was (and I can remember 15yrs ago telling a buddy if he ever brought his phone with on a ride I was going to smash it, my how times change ) ...next time I guess. Next time should be much better because I'm taking my Kona (Old faithful!) not a too small FSR.
    Bikes=Sanity

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You suck. More than Linda Lovelace sucked in the 70's.

Does that help?

That's "Mr. Tool" to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    You suck. More than Linda Lovelace sucked in the 70's.

Does that help?
    Yea, but I never heard anyone criticize Linda for taking too long.

mtbr member
    So does this mean my thread is going down....hill?

I dunno, in the 70's I was riding skateboards and cheezy dept. store moto-style bmx bikes so y'all must been watching stuff I wasn't allowed to.
    Bikes=Sanity

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    It doesn't matter how long it takes someone else to do that ride. I could tell you how long it takes me, and someone else will post up a time 30% faster and then I'LL feel like a lard ass. And then someone else will beat that dudes time, and so on. There's always someone faster (and slower).

It's great that you got out and rode after being "retired" for so long. Just keep doing it. You're rate of improvement will be FAR better then just about everyone else, and that's a far more imporant statistic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    It doesn't matter how long it takes someone else to do that ride. I could tell you how long it takes me, and someone else will post up a time 30% faster and then I'LL feel like a lard ass. And then someone else will beat that dudes time, and so on. There's always someone faster (and slower).

It's great that you got out and rode after being "retired" for so long. Just keep doing it. You're rate of improvement will be FAR better then just about everyone else, and that's a far more imporant statistic.
    Thanks. I'm definitely hoping to be getting out more this year. My oldest (10) is getting the bug so we will be out playing as much as possible.
    Bikes=Sanity

Shattering Glass
    Personally, I would of headed up North to Lory area where it's much smoother if it was one of my first rides in a while. DBB is rough. That way you can stay on the bike a little more.

mtbr member
    I've been up to Lory a couple of times in Nov/Dec but it was taking my kids to the bike park and me playing on the dirt jumps.
    We did the east/west valley trails one day after riding the bike park and seeing my 5yo just crankin' it was soooooo cool! He even clipped a pedal into the side of one of those "trough" spots almost highsides and still just gets his feet back on and pedalin'. It was awesome.
    They did start getting tired on the way back but both were on their BMX bikes which are like 40-60% of their body weight!
    Bikes=Sanity

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    DSFA, just pedal and enjoy it! Look around at the beauty~!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Now with 10% more!

Been there

Nice job getting back out there. When I started mountain biking again a few years ago, I rode Coyote Ridge and remember I could only go about halfway up one of those switchbacks before I had to stop and catch my breath. I felt kind of intimidated by how much better everyone was, but people are only nice and don't care if you have to stop or they have to pass you. It will only get easier from here. I was amazed at how fast MTB got me back into shape, this riding a bike stuff is not easy. I had been smokin the cigs for a couple years before I started riding again, so I had to fix all the damage caused by that too..... If you enjoy it keep doing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    DSFA, just pedal and enjoy it! Look around at the beauty~!
    You mean besides how pretty my front tire is?

I think I'm going to actually have to break out the "road to nowhere" (bike trainer) so I can get in some pedaling and be at home with my kids at the same time.
    Bikes=Sanity