Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

officer F#cker...

I just got this email from one of my teammates, yes it was on the roads but how many of us never use the road to get to a trail?...

'I wanted to send a warning to those that ride in Larimer County. I was riding with a friend yesterday morning when we were pulled over by a Larimer County Deputy (Larry Ficker ). We had been riding double but we were not impeding traffic. The deputy was hostile and first asked us if we knew the laws for cycling. Then he asked if we were from Boulder County. He asked us why we are riding in Larimer County when there are plenty of roads in Boulder County. He ran our ID’s and then told us we had the choice to turn around and go back to Boulder or get a citation if we continued to ride in Larimer County. He stated several times that he does not appreciate people from Boulder choosing to ride in Larimer. If you are going to ride in Larimer with others make sure to ride single file or be prepared to get pulled over even if you are following the rules of the road. It appears that Larimer County does not want us there. I hope there will not be problems for the charity ride next weekend.'

Thoughts??

ride
    Heading up to Carter Lake?
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

bbc
    Bueno!
    He's just pissed his name is Ficker.

mtbr member
    Wow, that was really unprofessional of that deputy. I would have your teammates file a formal complaint if they haven't already.

what nice teeth you have
    I am wondering if there aren't some pissed off people cause of the race last weekend.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you're doing something illegal, then he should either ticket you, give you a warning, or remind you of the rules and send you on your way. Anything else is uncalled for and you should report his behavior to his superiors. I have no problem with cops enforcing the law, even when it doesn't turnout to my advantage, it's their job. Rousting anybody and telling them he doesn't like "Boulder people" riding in his country should not be tolerated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?pageID=27

Two abreast is legal if not impeding traffic.

They should contact the staff at Bicycle Colorado for assistance.

Rolling
    Sounds like a disgruntled cop and is totally out of line. It is not a cops job to express his opinion on where one should ride (unless it's safety issues) and providing consequences of ignoring his opinion.

Don't let this slide-- file a complaint. Any kind of official documentation, if it doesn't help now, can help down the road if this occurs again with other officers or riders.

Shattering Glass
    No way.

skillz to pay billz
    that's ficked up

Your retarded
    I want to hear the other side of the story.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

..ouch
    I'd be more surprised if you told me you actually met a cop that enforced the law impartially and treated you with respect as a tax paying citizen.

skillz to pay billz
    Is there a lycra law in larimar co?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Yeah, me too. The OP is just a little over the top. Don't make me bring out the Bullsh!t Meter.

Inflexable...
    James A. Alderden, the Sheriff, would like to hear about this incident I'm sure.

alderdja@larimer.org

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Report Ficker to the county Sheriff! Can you prove you weren't impeding the flow of traffic? Can he prove that you were? It is legal to ride two abreast if you aren't impeding the flow of traffic.

EDIT: Your account makes this sounds like someone just wanting to flex some muscle for some reason or another. Is there more to this? If this is it, don't let this go - report him. File a complaint.

mtbr member
    feel free to give him a call and find out, be sure to let us know what he tells you. If they were impeding traffic he's got a right to enforce the law but I didn't think it was illegal to ride in another county and have some Uncle Ficker preach to you about playing in someone else's back yard

There's really no 'other side' to the story, noone else was 'involved', there was no incident and no other party, just a cop with a power trip who was having a bad day, probably just found his best friend in bed with his wife and his sister (who happen to be the same woman)

eci
    Sweet! riding tadem on roads is lame, Single file all the way!

Please pay your ticket promptly so he can hit his quota and keep enforcing such an awesome law!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    feel free to give him a call and find out, be sure to let us know what he tells you. If they were impeding traffic he's got a right to enforce the law but I didn't think it was illegal to ride in another county and have some Uncle Ficker preach to you about playing in someone else's back yard

There's really no 'other side' to the story, noone else was 'involved', there was no incident and no other party, just a cop with a power trip who was having a bad day, probably just found his best friend in bed with his wife and his sister (who happen to be the same woman)
    Man, you're right. I should just accept everything I read on the internet as the gospel and hop in line with everyone who doesn't consider that confrontation involves two parties and we've only read the highly biased view point of one. Silly me.

Seriously though Longman, if I were in the position to give your buddy advice, it would be act constructively and talk to the department that Officer Ficker works for. I'd tell him to file a complaint if he feels he was treated so unlawfully, which from the letter you posted, sounds to be the case. In other words, I would imagine the department would be quite interested to learn of such an encounter. That would be opposed to the destructive alternative which would be to distribute a biased, emotion driven story to the public who will side with the cyclist because, well, we're cyclists too, and because it written so that there's a clear good and evil. Choosing to act on the later option will only create division between the two groups in conflict, but will do nothing about the officer if he was acting out of line.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    I see the People's Republic of Boulder's reputation precedes its residents...

If only there were an ocean it could fall into along with Californistan. I liked the Colorado I grew up in - the one the Beatles wouldn't return to.
    Last edited by insect_o_man; 05-13-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

Inflexable...
    There is no room for such reasonableness on the Internet...

rr
    I don't do PC
    Nickle is deputy Sheriff of the front range MTBR forum, and he doesn't like Boulder residents either

mtbr member
    Lets see if your friend was riding double and a car (ie officer F#cker) came up behind them wouldn't that be impeding traffic?

I honestly think some of the cyclists in Boulder have transformed the share the road mantra into the I'm a cyclist and therefore, I own the road. (try driving up the blind corners on lee hill behind some of these cyclists!) And yes, I do ride on the road myself, but I don't feel the need to ride abreast... flame away

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is gettin' good...!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    I honestly think some of the cyclists in Boulder have transformed the share the road mantra into the I'm a cyclist and therefore, I own the road. (try driving up the blind corners on lee hill behind some of these cyclists!) And yes, I do ride on the road myself, but I don't feel the need to ride abreast... flame away
    There's truth in that there statement.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

skillz to pay billz
    Californistanians hate our freedoms

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    This forum is far more entertaining when the weather goes to poop.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    This forum is far more entertaining when the weather goes to poop.
    Could one reason that when the weather is good, that poop is more entertaining than this forum?

Thunder Chunky
    Could one reason that when the weather is good, that poop is more entertaining than this forum?
    Poop is pretty entertaining, have you ever poked it with a stick before? One of favorite activities when Im out riding lol j/k

Anyways I dont have a problem with people riding on the road until they are 3 or 4 abreast and wont go to single file, thats when the hand gets planted on the horn and the fists start shaking. Seems to happen every year with the elephant rock ride down here in Castle Rock. Talk about motorists not sharing the road, bicilists need to share it too. Driving up the hill to my house behind a bunch of cyclists going 10 mph kinda sucks.

If your story about officer Ficker is actually the whole truth and nothing but the truth then he is a little ficker but it seems pretty biased to me.

Let the flame wars continue
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    While I cannot understand comments that are biased against bouldrites, It is perfectly legal to ride two abreast in colorado as long as you are not holding up traffic. The only thing is, what is traffic, and how do you know if you are holding it up?

IMHO, one car behind two cyclists riding abreast is not traffic, so long as there is not a on comming auto that prevents the following car from safely moving to the center and passing within a short timeframe.

As for Flicker, call his boss and complain, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and if noone reports the poor attitude of the deputy, then noone will do anything about it in the future. For all we know, Flicker may have a history of being disrepctful to citizens, and the sherriff just needed one more report to take him off the road.

Calling attention to this on a forum will not stop it from happening again.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I ride abreast as often as possible.
    Now with more vitriol!

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Purple Popcorn

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    You prefer left or right?

rr
    I don't do PC
    One could reason this regardless of weather

On the abreast issue, the middle pos. is better than left or right

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Californistanians hate our freedoms
    Pesky 1st and 2nd amendments

And private property rights? Ta die for!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Single file you sticklers

And yes most of the Boulderites that I have come across have their noises suck too dam far up their Audi tail pipes to ever notice they are doing anything wrong.

Also this fourm is indeed much more fun when I walking around in 12 inches of thick snow.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Ahah!

A centrist!

Inflexable...
    This thread could become NSFW at any moment now...

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    This thread could become NSFW at any moment now...
    I knew discussion of the dialectic political facade is Un-Pc and verbotten at work in Californistan.... but now Colorado too?

The Horror!

feel the Force
    Why single out Boulder? Ever been to a supported ride, ie Ride the Rockies, Elephant Rock, Triple Bypass? Most of these riders aren't from Boulder, and feel the need to ride 5 or six wide. I agree, single file is necessary, especially on blind corners.

Rolling

You all worry about the hills and valleys, I'm going riding in the jungle.

Look out!
    Ohhh, I'm going to be in Larimer county over the 4th of july weekend, do you think Ofsifer D****head, I mean, F***ker, I mean, Focker, uhhhmmmm,whatever will pull me over for having these stickers on my rear window?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride the bike.

Rolling
    Can't read the FD NY on the far right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I know some police cars have camera's that turn on and start recording when the officer turns on their lights. If he did that, it maybe recorded. File a complaint like everyone said, and do it before the evidence disappears.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    You prefer left or right?
    I don't discriminate, right, left or center - I'm all about equal opportunity.
    Now with more vitriol!

Thunder Chunky
    Can't read the FD NY on the far right.
    just says in memory of sept. 11 2001
    Purple Popcorn

Shattering Glass
    Why our roadies? Don't they all suck?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Yeah, me too. The OP is just a little over the top. Don't make me bring out the Bullsh!t Meter.
    Naw - this dude is real all right. He "pulled" me over about 10 years ago. I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign when turning right from 1 county road to another east of Fort Collins. Not a car for a mile in any direction. He also had another rider - some guy on a fixie that apprently did the same thing as me about 20 minuttes earlier. He had been reading the guy the riot act for 20 minutes when he jumped out in front of me and told me to stop. He proceeded to lecture the fixie guy for about 10 more minutes, then let him go and started in on me. I told him to arrest me or let me go cause I was about 4 hours into a ride and needed to get home. Bad move on my part and I realized it so I just shut up and let him yell at me for about 10 more minutes. Eventually he gave me the same comment about keeping off the roads, stay in town, blah, blah, blah. He's a nutjob.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    Naw - this dude is real all right. He "pulled" me over about 10 years ago. I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign when turning right from 1 county road to another east of Fort Collins. Not a car for a mile in any direction. He also had another rider - some guy on a fixie that apprently did the same thing as me about 20 minuttes earlier. He had been reading the guy the riot act for 20 minutes when he jumped out in front of me and told me to stop. He proceeded to lecture the fixie guy for about 10 more minutes, then let him go and started in on me. I told him to arrest me or let me go cause I was about 4 hours into a ride and needed to get home. Bad move on my part and I realized it so I just shut up and let him yell at me for about 10 more minutes. Eventually he gave me the same comment about keeping off the roads, stay in town, blah, blah, blah. He's a nutjob.
    first of all there obviously was car within mile because the police officer was driving one and I doubt he saw you make the turn from a mile away lol j/k Second of all what does the riot act have to do with running a stop sign? It says nothing/has nothing to do with stop signs lol
    Purple Popcorn

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid
    Ohhh, I'm going to be in Larimer county over the 4th of july weekend,
    Hmmm... I'd advise caution. Probably best to maintain a low profile. I suggest hiding your vehicle by parking it in a lot filled with high profile 4x4 trucks - especially those containing gun racks which would block the view through the windows.

on the other side
    If what the OP posted is the truth. Then his "friend" (who sent the email) needs to contact that deputy’s superiors and file a complaint. If an officer (or deputy as is the case here) does not have a reason to stop you then it is called harassment. Now, just about anything can be justified as reason to stop (or as the rest of the world knows it Probable Cause). However, he needs a reason; even if that reason is for safety. But telling someone they can not ride in his county because they are from another county is completely outta line.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    w/e

single file stay awhile.

ride abreast.. in the ER with the rest..

at least three times a week driving into boulder south on 36, ..

never fails i seesome roadie who thinks its cute to fake wreck into traffic, trying to get someone to swerve and or cause some sort of traffic disruption... it was funny at first, till i realized it was grown men/women doing it...

sooner or later i will have my camera and film it..

no worries..

we all ride, some of us just arent @ss holes when we do...

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Rumor has it that if you ride on something long enough in Boulder by law it becomes yours...
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

I licked a frog.
    I do ride on the road myself, but I don't feel the need to ride abreast.
    ditto*.

riding abreast is frustrating to motorists (we're all both cyclists & motorists so I think everyone can relate?). unless it is on a straightaway where the person driving behind you can see far enough ahead to know it is ok to pass safely. trying to prove some sort of point to drivers by exploiting our "rights" only creates problems for other riders who innocently avoid all such friction. I'm not saying that's what you did, I'm just saying...

you've got me thinking of heading up there & riding to see what I can stir up. what do you think Officer F#cker would think of someone doing an endo trackstand at a stoplight while packing heat? (I've got a CCW, you know.)

*riding abreast is only suitable on your wedding night. at least that's what my grandmother tells me.

!Vamos, flaco!

Colorado law on riding two abrest.

Colorado Revised Statutes, 42-4-1412,

(6)(a) Persons operating bicycles on roadways shall ride single file; except that riding no more than two abreast is permitted in the following circumstances:
    (i)When riding two abreast will not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic; or
    (ii)When riding on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
    (b) Persons riding two abreast shall ride within a single lane.

Read the whole thing yourself. http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=45

So, you can ride next to a friend on the road if you don't impede traffic.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Lucky Wrecker
    LyleCrumbstorm - I expect that the endo trackstand would be misconstrued by Mr F*cker as wreckless driving.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirene
    If what the OP posted is the truth. Then his "friend" (who sent the email) needs to contact that deputy’s superiors and file a complaint. If an officer (or deputy as is the case here) does not have a reason to stop you then it is called harassment. Now, just about anything can be justified as reason to stop (or as the rest of the world knows it Probable Cause). However, he needs a reason; even if that reason is for safety. But telling someone they can not ride in his county because they are from another county is completely outta line.
    This is not entirely accurate. According to the Colroado Supreme Court in the case of People v. Heilman, 52 P.3d 224, 227-28 (Colo. 2002):

Police-citizen encounters are of three different types: (1) arrests; (2) investigative stops or detentions; and (3) consensual interviews or encounters. Each of these categories requires varying levels of justification and protection. While arrests and investigatory stops or detentions are seizures implicating the protections of the Fourth Amendment and Article II, section 7, consensual encounters are not. Thus, consensual encounters need not be supported by probable cause or reasonable suspicion. . . .

A consensual encounter consists of a request for voluntary cooperation by the police of an individual who should feel free to leave at any time during such an encounter. During a consensual interview, “a police officer seeks the voluntary cooperation of an individual by asking non-coercive questions.” The test is whether a reasonable person under the circumstances would believe that he or she was free to leave and/or disregard the officer’s request for information. This test is objective in nature, based on the factual circumstances surrounding the encounter. Inherent social pressure to cooperate with the police is not itself a sufficient basis for declaring the encounter nonconsensual.

“[A]ny assessment as to whether police conduct amounts to a seizure implicating the Fourth Amendment must take into account ‘all of the circumstances surrounding the incident’ in each individual case.” Because it is fact-based, this test is “necessarily imprecise.” A totality of the circumstances analysis requires an examination of the behavior of the parties, as well as the physical, temporal, and social context of the encounter. “[W]hat constitutes a restraint on liberty prompting a person to conclude that he is not free to ‘leave’ will vary, not only with the particular police conduct at issue, but also with the setting in which the conduct occurs.” Representative examples of when a seizure occurs include “the threatening presence of several officers, the display of a weapon by an officer, some physical touching of the person of the citizen, or the use of language or tone of voice indicating that compliance with the officer’s request might be compelled.”

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Rumor has it that if you ride on something long enough in Boulder by law it becomes yours...

Riding? I thought they were just walking on it before their "judge" declared ownership?

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    This is not entirely accurate. According to the
    Blah Blah Blah.

This is why I tend to agree with Mr. Shakespear:

"First, we kill all the lawyers...."

When the web of legality obscures what is true, right, and good... it's time to purge the spiders and start over.

Ride in traffic - go splat. Simple common sense. No Jurist doctorate is required to understand "splat".

It's ironic that anarchist's (such as those representing the People's Republic of Boulder) tool of choice is the infestation and manipulation of the legal system that is the substance and structure of the Republic they aspire to destroy. When "do what thou wilt" does become the whole of the law - they will long for the days when the Republic protected them from the tyranny of the majority.
    Last edited by insect_o_man; 05-14-2008 at 09:41 AM.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by insect_o_man
    Blah Blah Blah.

This is why I tend to agree with Mr. Shakespear:

"First, we kill all the lawyers...."

When the web of legality obscures what is true, right, and good... it's time to purge the spiders and start over.

Ride in traffic - go splat. Simple common sense. No Jurist doctorate is required to understand "splat".
    I apologize for informing everyone about when and how police officers in Colorado can legally contact you.

Regardless of irrational and irrelevant bloviating on this internet forum or elsewhere, the law is the law.

Under the law, cyclists have legal rights to ride on public rights of way. Motorists do not have a right to injure us or our property becasue we are exercising our rights. Of course, this all becomes a bit academic if we are injured, that is, until a cyclist uses the law to get compensation for injuries. I think we should exercise our rights in a safe manner.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleCrumbstorm
    heading up there & riding to see what I can stir up. what do you think Officer F#cker would think of someone doing an endo trackstand at a stoplight while packing heat? (I've got a CCW, you know.)
    I don't know about the deputy sheriff, but I suspect some enterprising Larimer County deputy DA would be delighted with your statement of intent to create provocative mischief - involving a firearm no less
    Last edited by insect_o_man; 05-14-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Under the law, cyclists have legal rights to ride on public rights of way.
    Go ahead, exercise your "legal rights".

Some of us will exercise common sense and defer to the laws of physics; we'll see who ends up standing at the end of the day.

rr
    I don't do PC

Some of us will exercise common sense and defer to the laws of physics; we'll see who ends up standing at the end of the day.
    Everytime I see some roadies riding 'abreast' on a busy road I think to myself, I wonder if they have actually been hit by a car and run over?

I have, and the last thing I think about now is my legal rights on the road, in fact, I sold my road bike and much prefer my cross bike now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

As much as I believe you should be able to do what Colorado law says, after seeing a woman doing summersaults over the top of a car that switched lanes right into her at about 40 mph I have to agree that the laws of physics take precedence over Colorado law.

That said, I think it is time for some Boulderites to plan a road ride out to Larimer county...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I don't like your jerkoff attitude, I don't like your jerkoff face, and I don't like you...jerkoff!!!

Stay out of Malibu Lebowski!!!
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

..ouch
    Everytime I see some roadies riding 'abreast' on a busy road I think to myself, I wonder if they have actually been hit by a car and run over?
    Natural selection at work. Most people shouldn't need to see this to realize that it's not so bright to ride in the road with traffic. No legal statute is going to protect you from a 16 year old adjusting their ipod at 50 mph.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by livinlite
    I don't like your jerkoff attitude, I don't like your jerkoff face, and I don't like you...jerkoff!!!

Stay out of Malibu Lebowski!!!
    Now that was the most constructive thing in this thread, I wasted 5 minutes reading this whole thing, at least something was funny.

I love e-fights Anyone want to talk about abortion, illegal immigrants, or Apex?

skillz to pay billz
    shouldn't you have started a poll for this question?

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu

I love e-fights Anyone want to talk about abortion, illegal immigrants, or Apex?

Living the High Life
    shouldn't you have started a poll for this question?

skillz to pay billz
    I just ride in parking lots and town squares
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiE1Qm7HSd8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiE1Qm7HSd8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I love e-fights Anyone want to talk about abortion, illegal immigrants?
    Good one on immigration....

http://community.myfoxcolorado.com/b...an_Flag_Dilema
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

..ouch
    I just ride in parking lots and town squares
    If I ever see you doing the splits like that on your handlebars I will make every efforts to run you down.

fyyff

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4
    And yes most of the Boulderites that I have come across have their noises suck too dam far up their Audi tail pipes to ever notice they are doing anything wrong.
    Subaru. Get it straight

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    No legal statute is going to protect you from a 16 year old adjusting their ipod at 50 mph.
    Or a 13 year old driving his older buddy's car while long board shuttling

skillz to pay billz
    you have my blessing

Quote Originally Posted by thump
    If I ever see you doing the splits like that on your handlebars I will make every efforts to run you down.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just another roadie in lycra with no bike handling skills. Run 'er down I say!

on the other side
    Colorado Revised Statutes, 42-4-1412,

(6)(a) Persons operating bicycles on roadways shall ride single file; except that riding no more than two abreast is permitted in the following circumstances:
    (i)When riding two abreast will not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic; or
    (ii)When riding on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
    (b) Persons riding two abreast shall ride within a single lane.

Read the whole thing yourself. http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=45

So, you can ride next to a friend on the road if you don't impede traffic.
    This then covers any and all reasons the deputy had to stop the individuals riding. Is it stupid? Yea, but on the same note where the individuals being jerks about riding two abreast and not giving traffic the opportunity to pass? Possibly... who knows. There are always 3 sides to ever story. What each party says happened; in this case the riders vs. the deputy. Then there is the 3rd side, what really happened.

Thus, consensual encounters need not be supported by probable cause or reasonable suspicion. . . .
    Oh look!! Reason to stop right there! I don't even need to read the other definitions, aka "types" of police-citizen interaction.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirene
    Oh look!! Reason to stop right there! I don't even need to read the other definitions, aka "types" of police-citizen interaction.
    I wonder if a cop throwing on his lights is really a consensual encounter? I would think not. If an officer attempts to pull one over and I don't consent, then I get charged for evading. My understanding of consensual encounters is that you get to leave at any time. Thus, a cop pulling you over has to have reasonable cause to even pull you over. If they don't, then even pulling you over violates your rights.

on the other side
    I wonder if a cop throwing on his lights is really a consensual encounter? I would think not. If an officer attempts to pull one over and I don't consent, then I get charged for evading. My understanding of consensual encounters is that you get to leave at any time. Thus, a cop pulling you over has to have reasonable cause to even pull you over. If they don't, then even pulling you over violates your rights.
    You have a valid point.

Nine times out of ten I would say the lights going on is not a "consensual encounter," but an investigative stop. Either way, a traffic stop (as stopping the bicycle would be considered) is a temporary. Meaning the person in question (whoever the officer is talking to) is not under arrest. There is a standard of a "reasonable amount of time" before the traffic stop must be concluded. Situation pending and what the P.C. reasons for the stop are, the reasonable amount of time can vary.
    I would say that 1 out of 10 times would be in regards to safety. Which, could be the case here and thus making it a consensual encounter.

However, my definition of "consensual encounter" would be... an officer walking up to you in a park. He (or she) asks you if you have a few minutes to spare, the officer says he has been told you spend a considerable amount of time at this park so he has a few questions regarding an incident you may (or may not) have witnessed. You say no, or I don't feel like talking. The officer thanks you for your time. Done, you walk away at anytime.
    ...pursue those.

skillz to pay billz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    I just got this email from one of my teammates, yes it was on the roads but how many of us never use the road to get to a trail?...

'I wanted to send a warning to those that ride in Larimer County. I was riding with a friend yesterday morning when we were pulled over by a Larimer County Deputy (Larry Ficker ). We had been riding double but we were not impeding traffic. The deputy was hostile and first asked us if we knew the laws for cycling. Then he asked if we were from Boulder County. He asked us why we are riding in Larimer County when there are plenty of roads in Boulder County. He ran our ID’s and then told us we had the choice to turn around and go back to Boulder or get a citation if we continued to ride in Larimer County. He stated several times that he does not appreciate people from Boulder choosing to ride in Larimer. If you are going to ride in Larimer with others make sure to ride single file or be prepared to get pulled over even if you are following the rules of the road. It appears that Larimer County does not want us there. I hope there will not be problems for the charity ride next weekend.'

Thoughts??

That's awesome.. you got shaken down by officer Flicker
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

what nice teeth you have

This mornings paper.

I hate to revive this thread but this showed up in the coloradoan today.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/805170330

Sheriff to boost bike law ticketing

Bicyclists who ride Larimer County roads, consider this your warning: Sheriff's deputies are about to start ticketing riders who ride two abreast.

The warning comes following a rise in "contacts" between traffic deputies and bicyclists, particularly in the southern part of the county, near the Boulder County line.

Under state law, cyclists must ride single file if "riding two abreast would impede the flow of traffic."

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden said many bicyclists on Larimer County roads are unaware that his office will enforce the two-abreast rules.

He said his office interprets the rules to mean that cyclists move into single file if a vehicle is approaching from behind, and riding two abreast "could" impede the flow of traffic.

"If you ride double file, we're going to give you a ticket," Alderden said.

"So far, the deputies have been issuing warnings. That is going to stop in the very near future. Every spring, this comes up."

Alderden's longstanding policy has prompted at least one formal complaint from a Boulder County cyclist, who was stopped and warned last weekend while riding two-abreast in Larimer County.

In an e-mail message distributed widely to the Boulder County cycling community, the rider called the deputy "hostile" and said she felt unwelcome on Larimer County roads.

"He ran our IDs and then told us we had the choice to turn around and go back to Boulder or get a citation if we continued to ride in Larimer County," wrote the woman, a teacher who asked not to be named. "He stated several times that he does not appreciate people from Boulder choosing to ride in Larimer."

Alderden said the deputy "could have been more tactful" but largely confirmed the rider's account.

"We have had a number of confrontations between our agency and bicyclists, particularly from Boulder," he said Friday. "A number of them cop an attitude. Basically, what we have is a disagreement between some bicyclists and our agency's interpretation."

Boulder County Sheriff's spokesman Cmdr. Phil West confirmed that many bicyclists flout the two-abreast traffic law and said North Foothills Highway between

Boulder and Lyons has long been a major complaint area.

He said bike racers this year have partnered with the Colorado State Patrol to organize Wednesday evening competitions that adhere to state law.

"We used to have the pack riders on the North Foothills Highway," West said. "That was a weekly complaint area, multiple offenses, multiple complainants. That has been ameliorated to some extent by having a sanctioned ride on Wednesday nights, staffed by state troopers."

West said the Boulder County Sheriff's Office has no specific plans to enforce the two-abreast law, although special patrols have been tried in the past.

"The sense is that the situation hasn't improved, and it hasn't gotten any better," West said. "We continue to receive complaints. People continue to flout the law."

Another road that's a problem area shared with Boulder and Larimer counties, West said, is North 75th Street in Boulder County, which connects to Woodland Road and permits access to Weld County Road 23.

A few years ago, a local resident upset about cyclists obstructing his access deliberately ran over a riders' bike, then returned home to await arrest, West said.

"Fortunately, the bicyclist got out of the way in time," West added.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Poor law enforcement priorities in Larimer County.

Yann Ropars
    Received this this morning....

Good morning all you cyclists out there! I see in the local newspaper today that the Larimer county sheriff is going to start ticketing road riders riding 2 abreast. Allrightfine! If you’re like me, I would like to show the sheriff that we would prefer his department worry about real crime and that they have bigger fish to fry. Let’s beat him to the punch by riding single file where appropriate. It will also give the anti-bike drivers less to carp about.

I also hear that Fort Collins Police will start issuing warnings to bicyclists riding in the “dismount zone” in old town. Let’s be careful out there and show mutual respect to pedestrians and drivers alike… with respect to respect, let’s pedal it forward, so to speak.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is some good news for us all. When Bike Fort Collins held its community forum last winter, we asked members of the Fort Collins Transportation office to attend and hear what we had to say about bicycle safety and certain “hot spot” intersections. Thanks to your input (and patience), bicycle awareness signs are going up at these intersections “within 30 days.” Pat yourselves on the back for this one!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And file this in the: “As if there weren’t enough cycling events already in the area,” department.

If you’ve been thinking about riding off-road, or just want to check out the latest in mountain bike gear, head out to a free day at Lory State Park. From the looks of it, this is the event that could persuade you to change your riding habits.

Lory State Park hosts mountain biking spring kickoff event

BELLVUE, Colo.— The Lory State Park Mountain Biking Spring Kickoff event will be held on Saturday, May 31 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. This event will celebrate mountain biking opportunities at the park including the Corral Center Mountain Bike Park (MBP). There will be fun and festivities for all levels of riders. From novice to advanced, Lory State Park offers biking fun for the entire family.

In celebration of this Spring Kickoff event, there will be entertainment and fun for all biking enthusiasts, and entrance to the park will be free during the event. Throughout the day, there will be a wide range of activities and something for everyone. Lee’s Cyclery & Fitness, Yeti Cycles, Full Cycles, and New World Cycles will be providing bikes for demo on the day of the event. Professional bike riders will show off their skills during a lunch hour exhibition, and Diamond Peaks Mountain Bike Patrol along with Team BOB will conduct guided mountain bike trail rides. Other vendors at the event will include Schwalbe Tires, REI, Blacksheep, Mountain High Cyclery, ZFS Action Group, Road 34, Niner Bikes, Best Buy, Target and more.

For those who want to learn more about the park during their visit, the park naturalist will be on hand with displays that describe the park flora, fauna and other significant features. A kid’s obstacle course and a bike skills and safety clinic will round out the day’s activities. Throughout the event there will be giveaways including an iPod, two Colorado State Parks annual passes and a free goodie bag to the first 300 participants.

The Corral Center Mountain Bike Park opened in the fall of 2007 and was designed as a skills area to help riders of all levels. The mountain bike park made history as the first dirt track/pump track area in the state. The Corral Center is nearly 70,000 square feet of track and is open all year long, unless otherwise noted. There is no additional cost for use of the bike park. The park also offers 12 miles of shared-use trails to mountain bikers of all riding abilities located in the lower valleys and in the parks more challenging mountainous terrain.

Bring your bike and come to Lory State Park on May 31 to celebrate the parks trails and Corral Center Mountain Bike Park. For more information, please visit www.parks.state.co.us and click on the Lory State Park page.

Attracting more than 11 million visitors per year, Colorado's 42 State Parks are a vital cornerstone in Colorado's economy and quality of life, offering some of the best outdoor recreation destinations in the state. Colorado State Parks manages more than 4,000 campsites, 57 cabins and yurts, encompassing 246,000 land and water acres. For more information on Colorado State Parks or to purchase an annual pass online, visit www.parks.state.co.us.

If you plan on going to this event, please let me know.

~~~~~~~

Jeff Morrell

Cyclist

Cycle tracks

will abound

in Utopia.

~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    things that make you go hmm...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Rolling
    nadinno78,,Classic, Nice catch...thanks. Glad to see a formal complaint was made. Interesting, the attempt of spin on the issue.

Sounds like the good "ole boys" club is sticking together and is going to make themselves feel good by laying the hammer down now.

Maybe Jim Alderden needs a link to this to show him we are aware that his deputies are out and about and are about to get tough on the cyclists. And that we see through his tough-guy response on this. Maybe Jim Alderden's boss needs to get a letter too.

Under state law, cyclists must ride single file if "riding two abreast would impede the flow of traffic."
    He said his office interprets the rules to mean that cyclists move into single file if a vehicle is approaching from behind, and riding two abreast "could" impede the flow of traffic.
    "could" or "would" or are they the same? Seems the Sheriff thinks as long as in theory you can impede traffic, you are in violation. Not that impeding traffic is the violation. I would think that "if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound applies here"....that is the essence of the law.

Here is what I found on colorado bike law (repeat of Eirene's post earlier)

1. Persons operating bicycles on roadways shall ride single file; except that riding no more than two abreast is permitted in the following circumstances:
    1. When riding two abreast will not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.
    "not Impede the normal and reasonable movement." I guess if it's a busy road, this means it's illegal even if the riders move single file when cars approach.

"If you ride double file, we're going to give you a ticket," Alderden said.
    So this whole two abreast law is rendered stupid at this point since it's based on interpretation--which according to the paper means double file...nuff said. All the deputy has to do is find two abreast and claim they impede traffic. It's meaningless to include the "impede traffic" in the law since, unless the cyclists record this with a rear looking camera, they won't have a case when the old rabbit ears come flashing up from behind.

I just wish Sheriff Alderden's deputies would keep their opinion on where cyclists should ride to themselves and be professionals in their job. One would have hope that the law enforcement agencies in Larimer County would have professionals rather than ego trippers like the cyclists who ride there.
    Last edited by lidarman; 05-17-2008 at 10:13 PM.

..ouch
    "could" or "would" or are they the same? Seems the Sheriff thinks as long as in theory you can impede traffic, you are in violation. Not that impeding traffic is the violation. I would think that "if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound applies here"....that is the essence of the law.

Here is what I found on colorado bike law (repeat of Eirene's post earlier)

"not Impede the normal and reasonable movement." I guess if it's a busy road, this means it's illegal even if the riders move single file when cars approach.
    I've seen enough abuses of power that I hate to be on the side of law enforcement, but seriously, trying to play semantics on this is dumb. On a busy highway it's pretty much a given that riding abreast is going to impede traffic. I can't count the number of times that I've come up on roadies riding side by side on a highway that will only (begrudgingly) move into single file once you come up behind them and have already had to slow down. For some reason this state is full of riders that seem to think highways exist as their own personal bike path. In miles of road riding with my mountainbike I've somehow managed to stay the hell out of the way of traffic, even with 29" wide handlebars. If you can't figure out this common courtesy then don't be surprised when you eat a windshield, it's just Darwin waving you a friendly hello.

Now with 10% more!

I think I saw them in "action"

Yesterday I was out riding the trails around horsetooth reservoir. Rode across the dam at the end of Laporte st. and there was a sheriff tucked back in the corner by the rocks with his nice shiny SUV idling. Thought it was odd because there was NO ONE out yesterday due to graduation and I couldn't figure out what he was up to. Now I get it. So just a heads up since many of you ride up there.

Rolling
    A little interview.

Today at bike patrol training, I met a former employee of Larimer open space. I told him/her this story along with the newspaper story.

He/She didn't hesitate to state that the Larimer County employees are resentful and hate Boulder county people of all flavors. He/She said he/she got razed all the time because he/she was from Boulder. Read that carefully, they resent ALL Boulder county peeps, including those mountain biking Horsetooth and Devils Backbone.

He/She was not all all surprised at the deputy's harassment and Alderden's attitude about it. I guess Boulder peeps tread too much on their staff, which he/she said was way understaffed and couldn't believe they had time to be focusing on cyclists.

It's a shame since when I go to Horsetooth or Devils backbone, I fill up my gas tank and patronize the restaurants there. I feel now, even though I don't road bike, I feel unwelcome by the law enforcement there.

mtbr member
    A little interview.

Today at bike patrol training, I met a former employee of Larimer open space. I told him/her this story along with the newspaper story.

He/She didn't hesitate to state that the Larimer County employees are resentful and hate Boulder county people of all flavors. He/She said he/she got razed all the time because he/she was from Boulder. Read that carefully, they resent ALL Boulder county peeps, including those mountain biking Horsetooth and Devils Backbone.

He/She was not all all surprised at the deputy's harassment and Alderden's attitude about it. I guess Boulder peeps tread too much on their staff, which he/she said was way understaffed and couldn't believe they had time to be focusing on cyclists.

It's a shame since when I go to Horsetooth or Devils backbone, I fill up my gas tank and patronize the restaurants there. I feel now, even though I don't road bike, I feel unwelcome by the law enforcement there.

My rules?

Ride alone...no possibility of riding "two abreast".

Ignore and/or avoid Larimer County.

When having a conversation with a "he/she" avoid looking confused or unsure about his/her gender.

Stiff yet compliant
    they resent ALL Boulder county peeps
    All of Boulder county? Being in Lafayette I thought I was far enough away from Boulder proper to escape the idiotic hatred so often directed towards the city.
    Guilt by association, nice.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    All of Boulder county? Being in Lafayette I thought I was far enough away from Boulder proper to escape the idiotic hatred so often directed towards the city.
    Guilt by association, nice.
    Ding Ding.

Ironic....
    amazing...perhaps what the essence of what "prejudice" means and how it can be applied in so many situations.

How many layers it has......

Because of that, Colorado must be considered the worst state in the worst country with Boulder county being the worst. The worst of them all must live in the second bedroom on the king bed, left side at 235 Mapleton, Boulder, CO.

Lets hope the aliens don't associate us with the planet earth.

Last edited by lidarman; 05-18-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Rolling
    PS: you need a "moustache" bar on your fixie to be in Boulder these days. Then you are really cool. The irony is amazing.
    Last edited by lidarman; 05-21-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Human Crayon
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boulder
    sorry, I couldn't resist.

Honestly though, if I saw one of you people (yeah I said it, "you people") riding through my neck of the woods, I would just hide my stash.

Can't we all just get abong?
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

mtbr member

an update from the 'big man'

Cyclists and Dodge City
    By Sheriff Jim Alderden

Don’t you just love this time of year, when the birds, boats and cyclists come out? Well, two out of three ain’t bad.

Tis the time of year for countless walking, running and cycling events that positively or negatively affect each of us. Then there’s the inevitable conflict between the motorists and cyclists using roads that are in disrepair and aren’t fit for either. The Sheriff’s Office and other law enforcement agencies are tasked with keeping the peace and enforcing the laws. The end result is that nobody is happy with us.

First, let me address the numerous events that impact traffic flow and raise the ire of the affected neighborhoods. All of these events require a permit. There are several stages of review. Many of these cross jurisdictional lines and require approval from the municipalities that they traverse, the county and the state. In the case of the county permits, they are NOT issued by the Sheriff’s Office but from the Commissioners. In addition to the Sheriff’s Office reviewing the plans for the events, the Health Department, Road and Bridge, Parks Department, Engineering and the appropriate ambulance, hospital and fire departments all review the plans and either approve or impose conditions. In the case of the Sheriff’s Office, we REQUIRE notification of affected residents, a traffic plan, certified traffic control personnel at key intersections, and volunteers at other locations. If the event is a race, we require either full or rolling road closures. Again, we are charged with making the event as safe as possible, but can’t deny a permit just because it inconveniences people. That’s a balancing act for the County Commissioners.

The Sheriff’s Office no longer assigns personnel to these events except in the most extreme circumstances due to staffing shortages, other high priority events that dictate deputies be assigned to work overtime, and the liability associated with these events. When we do, the event must pay the costs associated with the services provided. I don’t remember the last time we assisted with one of these due to the volume of other off-duty work where the services of a sworn deputy are needed. (As an aside, to the person who groused on the Reporter Herald RH line about the Sheriff’s Office escorting a group of cyclists on Glade Road on Saturday, May 10, the Sheriff’s Office was NOT involved in this event and we definitely did NOT have a car escorting the cyclists either on duty or on overtime. This event was a collegiate event hosted by Colorado State University, so I suspect that the lead car may have been a CSUPD car.)

Second, let me address the issue of cyclists in general and our enforcement practice. I’ve recently received a deluge of e-mails from the cycling community of Boulder after a group of them encountered a deputy who gave then the “don’t let the sun set on your behind in my county” speech or something akin to that. What the rider claimed was that the deputy offered the option of either returning to Boulder County or receiving a ticket for the alleged violation (more on that in a moment). That may be what they heard, but the deputy is adamant that isn’t exactly what was said. Apparently there was some dialogue (argument) about the interpretation of the applicable statute and the cyclists were advised that we were going to enforce the law regarding impeding the traffic flow in our county. The deputy continued by stating that perhaps they should return to Boulder County where they indicated they could ride two abreast, or be cited if they continued to do so here. It really wasn’t a “get out of Dodge” ultimatum but “if you stay in Dodge, be prepared to follow the rules or suffer the consequences.” Perhaps he could have been more tactful, but anytime you get to even suggest something to deal with Dodge City, its okay in my book.

Actually, we have a bonus point system when ticketing individuals from Boulder. So far, the deputy in question has won a toaster oven and is close to earning a rod and reel combination. (Just kidding!)

Now to the real issue and the reason for the contact in the first place. We have been receiving complaints about cyclists hogging the road in the southern part of the county so we have stepped up our presence. Not surprisingly, many of these cyclists cop an attitude when stopped. Also not surprising, many of the cyclists with attitudes are part of the Boulder cycling community. Now, I’ve had some fun making fun of Boulder in the past (all warranted by the way) and some will say this is just another attempt to bash Boulder, but this is what has been reported to me. Many have taken to not carrying identification, so when asked to identify themselves for purposes of determining if there are any outstanding warrants (which we always check), it isn’t unreasonable to determine their county of residence. (Another warning – When issuing a citation for a violation, if we can’t verify the identification of the cyclist, they WILL be taken to jail pending identification and their bicycles impounded. This isn’t a threat. Its the way we operate.)

The dispute is over interpretation of C.R.S. 42-4-1412(5): “Any person riding a bicycle shall ride in the right hand lane. When being overtaken by another vehicle, such person shall ride as close to the right-hand side as practicable. Where a paved shoulder suitable for bicycle riding is present, persons operating bicycles shall ride on the paved shoulder….” Also at issue section (6)(a) “Persons operating bicycles on roadways shall ride single file: except that riding no more than two abreast is permitted in the following circumstances: (I) When riding two abreast will not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic…” Many feel that they can ride two abreast as long as vehicle approaching from the rear can get around them, even if the motorist has to go into the oncoming lane of traffic. Our reading of the statute doesn’t require that traffic actually be impeded, only that it the cyclists riding two abreast would impede the normal flow of traffic if vehicles had to swerve into the oncoming lane, especially when there is a double yellow line as is the case in many of the winding roads favored by the cyclists. Further, section 6 doesn’t negate the requirement of section 5 to ride on the paved shoulder or as far to the right as feasible when being overtaken. While riding two abreast, one of the pair isn’t as far to the right as possible. When being overtaken, in order to get as far to the right as possible, they must ride single file if there is only one lane in that direction. If there is a paved shoulder, they should be riding on the shoulder, not in the traffic lane, regardless of whether or not they are impeding traffic.

The arguments offered by the cyclists are similar to those made by many motorists when blowing stop signs. “There were no other cars coming, so why should I have to stop?” - “They could still get around us, so what difference does it make?”

I believe in minimal enforcement to achieve the desired result. Our deputies have been giving verbal warnings, as was done to the Boulder cyclists. The warnings haven’t been heeded. I don’t expect my deputies to have to debate the point any further. We will begin issuing tickets for these violations, whether the offender lives in Larimer County, Boulder, or Dodge City.

To the motoring public, this does not mean its open season on cyclists. We also have received some complaints about motorists throwing objects at cyclists or harassing them. We will be equally aggressive in defending the rights of the cyclists to share the road as long as done legally and responsibly.

May 20, 2008

skillz to pay billz
    Last edited by nOOby; 05-21-2008 at 08:50 PM.

MTB B'dos
    I saw this and read through it and thought that maybe the sheriff might like to know what his deputies were up to and e-mailed him, all I got back was an e-mail with a link to this page as posted above http://www.larimer.org/sheriff/bulls_Eye/BullEye.htm I am sorry to read this and realize that the residents of this county have an a$$hole for a sheriff who has no regard for cyclists what so ever - I hope he gets hit by a fvcking mac truck and suffers a slow and agonizing death.

Cars SHOULD NOT be overtaking cyclists while going around corners if it's a single lane road.

Inflexable...
    A little over the top don't you think?!

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I saw this and read through it and thought that maybe the sheriff might like to know what his deputies were up to and e-mailed him, all I got back was an e-mail with a link to this page as posted above http://www.larimer.org/sheriff/bulls_Eye/BullEye.htm I am sorry to read this and realize that the residents of this county have an a$$hole for a sheriff who has no regard for cyclists what so ever - I hope he gets hit by a fvcking mac truck and suffers a slow and agonizing death.

Cars SHOULD NOT be overtaking cyclists while going around corners if it's a single lane road.

mtbr member
    Such hatefull words there. Why, because the sheriff is enforcing the law? I'll let you in on a little secret. Thats his job. Don't like, don't ride in his county.

Ya like this is really reflect reality. No one but their grandma is going to parade behind a cyclist huffing up a windy hill road.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar
    Thats his job.

No kidding, this guy has to mediate between pissed off roadies and pissed offed people in SUVs I don't want that job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0