Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

officer F#cker...

I just got this email from one of my teammates, yes it was on the roads but how many of us never use the road to get to a trail?...

'I wanted to send a warning to those that ride in Larimer County. I was riding with a friend yesterday morning when we were pulled over by a Larimer County Deputy (Larry Ficker ). We had been riding double but we were not impeding traffic. The deputy was hostile and first asked us if we knew the laws for cycling. Then he asked if we were from Boulder County. He asked us why we are riding in Larimer County when there are plenty of roads in Boulder County. He ran our IDís and then told us we had the choice to turn around and go back to Boulder or get a citation if we continued to ride in Larimer County. He stated several times that he does not appreciate people from Boulder choosing to ride in Larimer. If you are going to ride in Larimer with others make sure to ride single file or be prepared to get pulled over even if you are following the rules of the road. It appears that Larimer County does not want us there. I hope there will not be problems for the charity ride next weekend.'

Thoughts??

ride
    Heading up to Carter Lake?
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

bbc
    Bueno!
    He's just pissed his name is Ficker.

mtbr member
    Wow, that was really unprofessional of that deputy. I would have your teammates file a formal complaint if they haven't already.

what nice teeth you have
    I am wondering if there aren't some pissed off people cause of the race last weekend.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you're doing something illegal, then he should either ticket you, give you a warning, or remind you of the rules and send you on your way. Anything else is uncalled for and you should report his behavior to his superiors. I have no problem with cops enforcing the law, even when it doesn't turnout to my advantage, it's their job. Rousting anybody and telling them he doesn't like "Boulder people" riding in his country should not be tolerated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?pageID=27

Two abreast is legal if not impeding traffic.

They should contact the staff at Bicycle Colorado for assistance.

Rolling
    Sounds like a disgruntled cop and is totally out of line. It is not a cops job to express his opinion on where one should ride (unless it's safety issues) and providing consequences of ignoring his opinion.

Don't let this slide-- file a complaint. Any kind of official documentation, if it doesn't help now, can help down the road if this occurs again with other officers or riders.

Shattering Glass
    No way.

skillz to pay billz
    that's ficked up

Your retarded
    I want to hear the other side of the story.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

..ouch
    I'd be more surprised if you told me you actually met a cop that enforced the law impartially and treated you with respect as a tax paying citizen.

skillz to pay billz
    Is there a lycra law in larimar co?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Yeah, me too. The OP is just a little over the top. Don't make me bring out the Bullsh!t Meter.

Inflexable...
    James A. Alderden, the Sheriff, would like to hear about this incident I'm sure.

alderdja@larimer.org

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Report Ficker to the county Sheriff! Can you prove you weren't impeding the flow of traffic? Can he prove that you were? It is legal to ride two abreast if you aren't impeding the flow of traffic.

EDIT: Your account makes this sounds like someone just wanting to flex some muscle for some reason or another. Is there more to this? If this is it, don't let this go - report him. File a complaint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    feel free to give him a call and find out, be sure to let us know what he tells you. If they were impeding traffic he's got a right to enforce the law but I didn't think it was illegal to ride in another county and have some Uncle Ficker preach to you about playing in someone else's back yard

There's really no 'other side' to the story, noone else was 'involved', there was no incident and no other party, just a cop with a power trip who was having a bad day, probably just found his best friend in bed with his wife and his sister (who happen to be the same woman)

eci
    Sweet! riding tadem on roads is lame, Single file all the way!

Please pay your ticket promptly so he can hit his quota and keep enforcing such an awesome law!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    feel free to give him a call and find out, be sure to let us know what he tells you. If they were impeding traffic he's got a right to enforce the law but I didn't think it was illegal to ride in another county and have some Uncle Ficker preach to you about playing in someone else's back yard

There's really no 'other side' to the story, noone else was 'involved', there was no incident and no other party, just a cop with a power trip who was having a bad day, probably just found his best friend in bed with his wife and his sister (who happen to be the same woman)
    Man, you're right. I should just accept everything I read on the internet as the gospel and hop in line with everyone who doesn't consider that confrontation involves two parties and we've only read the highly biased view point of one. Silly me.

Seriously though Longman, if I were in the position to give your buddy advice, it would be act constructively and talk to the department that Officer Ficker works for. I'd tell him to file a complaint if he feels he was treated so unlawfully, which from the letter you posted, sounds to be the case. In other words, I would imagine the department would be quite interested to learn of such an encounter. That would be opposed to the destructive alternative which would be to distribute a biased, emotion driven story to the public who will side with the cyclist because, well, we're cyclists too, and because it written so that there's a clear good and evil. Choosing to act on the later option will only create division between the two groups in conflict, but will do nothing about the officer if he was acting out of line.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    I see the People's Republic of Boulder's reputation precedes its residents...

If only there were an ocean it could fall into along with Californistan. I liked the Colorado I grew up in - the one the Beatles wouldn't return to.
    Last edited by insect_o_man; 05-13-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

Inflexable...
    There is no room for such reasonableness on the Internet...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

rr
    I don't do PC
    Nickle is deputy Sheriff of the front range MTBR forum, and he doesn't like Boulder residents either

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Lets see if your friend was riding double and a car (ie officer F#cker) came up behind them wouldn't that be impeding traffic?

I honestly think some of the cyclists in Boulder have transformed the share the road mantra into the I'm a cyclist and therefore, I own the road. (try driving up the blind corners on lee hill behind some of these cyclists!) And yes, I do ride on the road myself, but I don't feel the need to ride abreast... flame away

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is gettin' good...!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    I honestly think some of the cyclists in Boulder have transformed the share the road mantra into the I'm a cyclist and therefore, I own the road. (try driving up the blind corners on lee hill behind some of these cyclists!) And yes, I do ride on the road myself, but I don't feel the need to ride abreast... flame away
    There's truth in that there statement.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast