Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Oldfart from Wayback"

Off Leash Dog Rant !!!

So it's getting to be spring and there is a new 'dog park' at the S end of the Foothills Trail in Ft Collins.

I'd ridden it many times since it was built and always had problems w/dog owners letting their dogs out of their car w/o a leash to run up to the park. I can't count the times I've slammed on the brakes to avoid a "dog crash" on the short (20') stretch of trail between the parking lot and the dog park because owners don't leash their dogs between the parking lot and the "dog park"

This afternoon took the cake !! Up in the "Open Space" at the S end of the Foothills Trail, I saw 8-12 unleashed dogs w/ no owners in sight running up and down the trail.

It took all I could to do, to not confront the 6 "women" walking "a breast" across the trail and forcing me to yield while their dogs ran free up the trail when I finally encountered them.

Rolling
    I don't mind the dogs off leash...

...it's the umteenth people abreast on trail that don't hear the bell rings and calls on usually busy trails that really bothers me--and when they do, they seem so surprised, like they are being attacked. I guess I'm aware when I walk on trails of possible riders or runners and i somehow expect it from others. I mean jeeze this is the front range, should be no surprise that other people use the already wide trails. I deal with this every single day on my ride to work.

But dogs...unless they chase me...oh well, they are just dogs...they get a benefit that they live a short but energetic life not understanding our riding but they enjoy their freedom that they much deserve from their moronic owners. I think they should get some respect actually...

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    It took all I could to do, to not confront the 6 "women" walking "a breast" across the trail and forcing me to yield while their dogs ran free up the trail when I finally encountered them.
    That's really unfortunate. Those are the kinds of folks who ruin it for the rest of us.

Those of us who are responsible and keep our dogs under control - even if they are off leash - get lumped in with these retards and, as the result, lose our freedom because of them.
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

WWJR

whats your point?

I'd ridden it many times since it was built and always had problems w/dog owners letting their dogs out of their car w/o a leash to run up to the park.
    again???

why do you keep riding it then if it causes you SO many problems?? its like saying, "everytime i stick my hand in a blender, i chop my fingers off!"
    who gives a fuk? you pass em in an instance, and never see em again. why bring this topic up again and again? its not like your post is going to stop all of the irresponsible people who let their dogs run amuck! just deal with it, and go about yur biz!! if you dont like the areas that seem to have this problem, then go to the 1000 other spots where you wont encounter this...
    on a side note, not everyone around knows (or cares) about the rules we follow as responsible trail connoisseurs. yes, i realize that "ignorance of the law" is no excuse. but for the instance that your day was f'd up, i doubt it was really worth posting here!!

Jackass
    It is my understanding that a biker is supposed to yield to hikers, even the ones that are obvious douche tards.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

skillz to pay billz
    maybe a low slung clothesline would take care of the critters.

I Keed!

mtbr member
    Expect to see more in Jefferson County, since Lakewood closed their 160 acre Forsberg Park that was designated off leash, for the new construction south of Green Mountain. Which they so kindly didn't give any alternative to. OH but they will eventually replace it with a overly abundant 4 acre fenced park when the construction is complete. I'm sure that will satisfy all dog lovers everywhere. PS in case you didn't know more money is spent on pets in the US than children so they aren't going away anytime soon.

Thank you Lakewood.

Stand back
    It's pretty far north of Forsberg, but there is a fair sized dog park by Arvada Reservoir. I don't know that Forsberg Park was actually very well utilized anyway - I never saw very many cars there. Use it or lose it!

And to the OP - if that particular 20' stretch is so treacherous, you could walk it...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by simpkins
    PS in case you didn't know more money is spent on pets in the US than children so they aren't going away anytime soon.
    Do you have citations for this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Do you have citations for this?

I lifted this from abc7news.com

According to MarketResearch.com, sales of pet products other than food reached $8.5 billion last year. That's more than the $6.2 billion spent on babycare products.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

According to MarketResearch.com, sales of pet products other than food reached $8.5 billion last year. That's more than the $6.2 billion spent on babycare products.
    Umm... you don know that we don't send our kids out into the workforce at the age of three, right?

tiny rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Umm... you don know that we don't send our kids out into the workforce at the age of three, right?
    Speak for yourself. Those little fingers are just so nimble.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer

Rolling
    I just got back from a ride and interestinglyI had two dog incidents. One, was off-leash and the bulldog started chasing my front wheel--the owner yelling at the dog the entire time. It was no big deal.

But the other, ironically, was a leashed dog where the owner had the dog on a retractable leash. The dog and owner and woman they were with were on the right side of the trail. I rang my bell as I approached to alert them ,and crazy enough, the man holding the dog moved to the left side of the trail, allowing the leash to unwind, completely blocking the trail. I had to stop.

I just about gave a few words to the moron, but bit my tongue then negotiated the tangle and left.

I hope my silence made him realize what an idiot he was. But he probably thought I was an idiot for being so indignant about it.

Otherwise, good ride, the wind kinda sucked.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-05-2008 at 01:25 PM.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by insect_o_man
    That's really unfortunate. Those are the kinds of folks who ruin it for the rest of us.

Those of us who are responsible and keep our dogs under control - even if they are off leash - get lumped in with these retards and, as the result, lose our freedom because of them.
    From my personal experience for every one trained dog and owner, there are ten untrianed dogs and idiots.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    From my personal experience for every one trained dog and owner, there are ten untrianed dogs and idiots.
    You're being extremely generous.

Stand back
    It must be because I like dogs and they can sense it - I've yet to have any dog incidents while biking that I thought were worthy of telling anyone about. Unless I see a really cool one, and then for sure I tell my wife.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!
    I can't blame the OP for getting PO'ed. I would be, too. Granted, we need to be aware and to yield to pedestrians, but having leashes on your pets is a law for a good reason. I keep my dogs on their leashes, unless it's a non-leash area. Would you want your dog injured or killed from a bike accident? Would you want to be injured from an accident (or avoidance of an accident) with an unleashed dog? I love my dogs and am a responsible owner who would be devastated if one of my boys got hurt/killed. C'mon people, the leash laws are there to save everyone. My $0.02.
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat?

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    a retractable leash
    I hate those things. It seems that only the laziest, most clueless dog owners use them.

For a well-trained dog and aware, attentive dog owner, on or off-lease is a non-issue. Sadly, that combination is on the rare side.

VooDoo user.
    I can't wait for more trails to open up.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    I almost didn't post this but what the hey, I was bit a few years back at the top of GM by and Standard poodle who was off leash, as i passed the hiker and dog, the dog cirlcled around and bit me in the thigh, not bad but enough to tear a hole in a new pair of shorts and draw a little blood. The man apologized up and down and was very sincere, I yelled a bit, I then saw the man and dog again about a year later and warned my friends to stay clear and the man heard me, gave a strange look and i proceeded to pull up my shorts and show him the small scar still visible a year later. He could not believe it! So it can happen... On a side note i took my dog for a hike up at Deer Creek today for some trail condition recon, might be a few more weeks. Plym. mtn. was pretty dry though did see some tire tracks though? Oh yeah, MOOTS was leashed the whole time.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    They make crappy shoes though, I need new ones already...

The Notorious S.L.O

This is not really a accurate comparison, the $8.5 bill is spent on dogs within all phases of their lifespan, not just the first 3-4 years where a family would normally purchase items that would fall into the "babycare" product category. The better comparison would be the total expenditure on children until they are self-sufficient. I am sure that this number would be dramatically greater that the $8.5 bill price tag for animals. I have two cats and two dogs, I spend alot on them, but nothing close to what it costs for the 15 and 17 year old in my house.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What bugs me even more that dogs are all the trail users that are in my way. You may be the slower rider that I'm comming up on from behind. I say " Hello", not to be friendly, but to say; "clear the trail, I'm riding here".
    Or, what's worse, last monday as I was riding up Prime Cut and traded shoulder rubs with the a$$hole riding downhill that had just run my girlfriend off the trail in front of me. Hey, you can be a jerk and run my girl off the trail when we are riding uphill on a trail, but I'll knock you off the path if you don't yield when I'm the uphill traffic. Where is the courtesy??

Fearing the Reaper
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    ] Or, what's worse, last monday as I was riding up Prime Cut and traded shoulder rubs with the a$$hole riding downhill that had just run my girlfriend off the trail in front of me. Hey, you can be a jerk and run my girl off the trail when we are riding uphill on a trail, but I'll knock you off the path if you don't yield when I'm the uphill traffic. Where is the courtesy??
    Wow... I hate this about many riders. I don't get it... 1. you look like a dick running people off the trail (especially women) and 2. you can't rage the trail like you should be able to. I hope you knocked him off the bike.

About dogs... I was flowing Hall really well last night (borderline raging) and I came around a turn towards the bottom to find myself head to head with a brown lab. Almost went over the bars trying to avoid running the little guy over!!
    I was pissed a little, but kindly mentioned to the guy that dogs aren't allowed on the trail. He was receptive and actually appreciative of my concern.

Honestly, kill them with kindness. I know its hard, but you can tactfully approach situations like these whereby the person in fault feels like an idiot for not playing by the rules. The short story is that we are always going to have to deal with these situations living in a heavily populated area. Don't get pissed and ruin your ride. Deal with it, enjoy your time spent on the trail, and don't kill the dogs!! (unless they are poodles!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast