The 5th knuckle

Object Fixation....

I was out riding at lunch around Ridgeline. When I'm by myself I like my bell, I ring it a lot. The kids in the neighborhood think the ice cream man is coming. I'm overly cautious now (Long story, jogger, dog, cracked helmet G1 noggin wack, DL shoulder, broken wrist, cracked ribs). So today I see this guy coming down so I give a ring, he's 3 switchbacks up moving pretty good. In a bit I see him through the scrub oak coming around the corner in front of me, it's a hard left for him, a quick little ringgy dingy. Scares the crap out of the poor guy. The trail is about 4 feet wide where I'm at and he stairs right at me. He's on the other side of the trail and starts coming right at me. I stand and pedal to get behind him when he barely misses my rear tire cratering into the hill on my right. I helped him up and dusted everything off. He got on his bike mumbling something about me being a d1ck with the freaking bell.

Classic case of object fixation. He didn't expect me to be there, freaked and stared right at me. Just like motorcycles, skiing, snowboarding, you go where you look. Don't want to hit something, don't look at it. I got a pretty good chuckle out the whole thing and thought I would share.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Not always true... I had a buddy who always stared at this one girl. Never once did he "hit it" HAHAHA

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I rang my Incredibell on the fire road climb up Mt. Cuyamaca outside Julian, CA. at some hikers in front of me. One guy completely jumped out of his skin. I rode past and overheard him saying "I thought it was a bear!"
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    Not always true... I had a buddy who always stared at this one girl. Never once did he "hit it" HAHAHA
    Bwahhhhh hhaa haa. Nice......

[QUOTE=xcguy;10400504 I road past and overheard him saying "I thought it was a bear!"[/QUOTE]

Idjut - you wear the bear bell not the bear wearing the bell. Kalifornians......
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah nice, I'm sure that happens a lot