Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Motion activated

O/T Moab 4x4 - any trails doable in a Longbed truck?

Looking for suggestions for Scenic Moab 4x4 trails that I could comfortable do in a Quadcab Longbed 4x4 truck (it has off road tires and I have a portable compressor to air down a little if need be).

I'll have a 3 year old and a 6 month old in the truck and I don't want to torture them with too much bumping around, but a few sections here and there would be OK.

The truck also has a topper that sits about 6" higher than the cab so overall clearance is about 6.5-7ft.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    Looking for suggestions for Scenic Moab 4x4 trails that I could comfortable do in a Quadcab Longbed 4x4 truck (it has off road tires and I have a portable compressor to air down a little if need be).

I'll have a 3 year old and a 6 month old in the truck and I don't want to torture them with too much bumping around, but a few sections here and there would be OK.

The truck also has a topper that sits about 6" higher than the cab so overall clearance is about 6.5-7ft.
    Uhmm... I dunno... Slickrock?

Pretty much some up your requirements: Scenic, can do with about any truck, and not too bumpy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You'll want to fit in with the rest of the 4x4 crew out there. Make sure you're good and drunk. Don't belt the kids in. Leave your doors open when you stop to block the trail. Play your music really loud. Spill lots of gas and oil. Oh, and you'll get better traction and have a smoother ride if you put on some lbs before your trip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Over Hurrah Pass out to Chicken Corners is scenic and easy. Helluva view at the end.

Out Potash Road go up Jug Handle Arch road back up to the Island in the Sky and down the switchbacks at the East end of the White Rim Trail and take potash back to town.

Couple options that would make a nice family outing.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    +1 for Hurrah Pass
    The Castle Valley Road off 191 (north of town) is a nice mellow dirt drive too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ^^ I would second those. Traildamage.com has a little bit more info (with links to other trails like it)

TrailDamage.com - Chicken Corners
    TrailDamage.com - Hurrah Pass

Yappy little dog!

Onion Creek Road up into the Fisher Valley is pretty cool and easy. Plus the kids will get a kick out of the cattle grazing at the top.

mtbr member
    I saw a video of a guy on slickrock in a caprice once.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It all depends on how much body damage you are wiling to accept.

Really.

I have an extended cab 1/2 ton Chevy with an 8 foot bed, and I've been in some hellacious places around Moab, but I have skidplates with deep gouges in them, and dings on various parts of the body.

Hurrah Pass is good, Gemini Bridges, Poison Spider up to a point, Long Canyon/Pucker Pass (referred to above as the Jug Handle Road).

This time of year you can probably get a permit for White Rim, and you could do an overnight. If you don't want to camp, you don't need a permit if you do the entire loop in one day. I've done the whole thing in 8 hours, but your kids may not want to bump around for 8 hours. Mine didn't mind.

You can go down to the 24 Hours of Moab course and drive around Prostitute Butte. There are some cool caves in the butte for your kids to play in.

I did all of Klondike Bluffs once in my truck. You can show your kids the dino tracks. There are also some tracks east of 191 about 15 miles from town, and there is a short dinosaur hike out by Monitor & Merrimack.

This is just scratching the surface.

What was the question again?

Motion activated
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Didn't realize that I could take a car/truck on Slickrock.

I don't want to risk any serious mechanical trial damage (or getting stranded), but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it got another dint or scratch.

How low can I go with tire pressure? I've heard that going too low (with a heavy Diesel) will risk spinning the tires on the rims and sheering off the valve stems in the process. Normal pressure is 65psi front and 80 rear.

BTW Dino tracks would be cool to show my 3 year old. She's getting old enough to be interested in that stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I watched a guy descend Nose Dive and ascend Upchuck hills on Behind The Rocks (part of the 24 Hrs. of Moab course) in a long bed, pick-up so it can be done. Google Nose Dive hill for videos. It was slightly modified for off-road use but was much closer stock than to being a rock crawler. As was mentioned earlier, just depends how much damage you're willing to accept.

not actually bad :)
    Monitor and Merrimac.
    Most the trails you will want to be on, you won't need to air down.

I have a book you can borrow if you want. PM me.
    Old Codger

Motion activated
    Thanks for the offer Andy, I'm just finishing packing up and about to head out the door for Moab.

This 4x4 stuff was kind of a last minute idea. Hopefully I can find a book down there that has some of the trail suggested in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I watched a guy climb Elephant Hill in a long bed Dodge. That's down in The Needles District of Canyonlands and I'm not recommending it. Just sayin' I saw him inch his way up and over three foot stepups.

But if you do go down there you can go out to the Colorado Overlook (4wd road leaves from the Visitor Center) and goes out to, well, the overlook. There's a left turn somewhere that goes into the Elephant Hill area but I've never been on it.

If you stay in Moab, I second what's been said above: go up to Gemini Bridges one of two ways: up from the highway out of Moab or down from the Island in The Sky Road. If you go down there's a turnoff that goes to (I think it's called) Four Arches Canyon which is a spectacular area.

Onion Creek--great drive, not really 4wd. Long Canyon--accessed off the Potash Rd. goes up to Dead Horse Point (very cool drive). Sheeit, I wish I was going.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

banned
    so many lulz, so little time

mtbr member

I'll have a 3 year old and a 6 month old in the truck and I don't want to torture them with too much bumping around....
    Oh man. This could be funny. One time I went wheeling and almost got sick to my stomach. Post some videos of your kids bumping around in the truck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    so many lulz, so little time

Seriously.

You want beta on 4x4 trails with an infant and 4 year old on board? WTF is wrong with you?

Stick to the fire roads. Or paved for that matter.

Thanks for another explicit example of why, when I run for president, parenting licenses will be #1 priority of my administration.

oops
    Last edited by bad_andy; 11-23-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Old Codger

Dr, I don't think you or KC have to worry about ever being elected president.

There are plenty of 4x4 trails in Moab that a long bed truck can do with no worries for 6 month old babies. They are not ALL XXXtreme, like you 2 jokers.

Have fun Steve.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    Dr, I don't think you or KC have to worry about ever being elected president.

There are plenty of 4x4 trails in Moab that a long bed truck can do with no worries for 6 month old babies. They are not ALL XXXtreme, like you 2 jokers.

Have fun Steve.

And what are your medical qualifications for making such an assessment on the epidemiological trauma concerning infants?

mtbr member
    Most the trails you will want to be on, you won't need to air down.
    if he's got a compressor he may as well air down regardless... will make the ride smoother, even on a fire road.

try maybe 30psi (i go to ~15 in the jeep). you'd have to have a pretty heavy foot to spin tires i'd think (i.e. you're doing something wrong).

just make sure you've got snacks/fluids for kids and they'll be fine*. ignore the h8ters.

(*properly secured in a car seat, of course).
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    And what are your medical qualifications for making such an assessment on the epidemiological trauma concerning infants?
    Wow.
    Umm...I R smart?
    Uhhh...I did plenty 4x4 and my kids are relatively fine? lulz
    "epidemiological" I R'nt smart enough to know what that means and not gonna google it - sorry doc. But now that you mention it, what are your quals?

Good point on the air, TB.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Uhhh...I did plenty 4x4 and my kids are relatively fine? lulz
    "epidemiological" I R'nt smart enough to know what that means and not gonna google it - sorry doc. But now that you mention it, what are your quals?
    Far beyond yours I'm sure. Care to put any money on it? I can have my attorney contact you...

If you want to off road, awesome, give it a go! Leave the children behind. I you can't leave them behind to be watched for a few hours, that alone is reason enough as to why you shouldn't be off roading.

It's not really that hard.

Just because you haven't seen the damage that can result, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Dam, gess I jest got pwned.
    Congrats on the ejucayshun and the attorney.

My kids will be bummed they can't go 4x4ing anymore.
    They are 17and 14 now, is that old enough, or what's the limit?

Hope Steve reads this in time to save his kids from their demise.

HAPPY T-GIV.
    Old Codger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast