Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

O/T Jeep trails close to Denver?

Now That i got ride of my 4x2 truck i picked up a 2013 Jeep wrangler Sport and since my wife has a 2013 Jeep GC as well but she wont let me take that off road , So how close are some starter trails to drive on? I have looked on some forums but cant find a good site ! O/T Jeep trails close to Denver?-imag0939.jpg

Thanks for the help !
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

Motion activated
    I don't know specific trails close to Denver, but this site has a comprehensive list of trails.

TrailDamage.com - All Trails
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You can take that thing up around Buchannan Pass and Camp Dick in the Indian Peaks Wilderness... not any time soon because of the snow, but once it all melts. My buddy and I took his stock Jeep up there last fall. A little hairy at times, but all doable.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys That so far is alot of help !

ride
    Switzerland Trail/Gordon Gulch, Caribou, and Bunce are all good entry level 4wd roads. Pole Hill and Pierson Park up by Estes are good, too.

For what it's worth, i don't think this is off topic at all. You'll no doubt find some good riding, too. There's a lot of jeep roads around here that are fun on 2 wheels.

Edit - as was pointed out, though, you're going to be waiting a while. Sitzerland Trail/Gordon Gulch are the only decent things I know of east of the Peak to Peak that will thaw anytime remotely close.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    ... not any time soon because of the snow, but once it all melts...
    If you want to scuff up those tires sooner, there's a jeep road up out of Salida that would be dry enough now. CR173 goes up behind Tenderfoot Hill (aka S-Mountain). It's pretty tame for the most part, but it will have some off-camber and loose babyhead action for you.

And then you could do some riding.

And then the drinking...

Your wife can drive home.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Thanks Dave and TomP Lots of good info !

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Red Cone.

ride
    I've got a 99 Cherokee with stock suspension and 30s and have been on all those I've listed without a problem. And I'm not a Jeeper so to speak. I like to keep my vehicle undamaged and in good shape
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

SS in CO
    I live north of Black Hawk on 119, and there's a lot of trails up here. some of them are closed right now (the FSRs), but there's quite a few that aren't. and with the nice temps, the snow's been melting. I drive a 98 TJ and hit the trails when we can. there's quite a bit up here between Black Hawk and Nederland.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Slaughterhouse is a good one. That was the first trail I did in my XJ. Only about a half an hour up 285 from C-470.

Snow over there can get deep in the winter. I don't suggest going down the South side of the gulch without shovels and chains until March probably.

..ask me how I know.

anyway. I'm always down for wheeling. Check out Frontrange4x4.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Take I-70 to Empire. At Main Street take a right. Eventually the road becomes dirt and keeps climbing. Follow the signs to Bill Moore Lake. It's waaaaay fun!

Motion activated
    I'm surprised so many MTB'ers choose four wheels and not two for their motorized OHV fix.

I guess it's Jeeping is a family activity and it's kinda hard to take the family out on a dirt bike?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    I'm surprised so many MTB'ers choose four wheels and not two for their motorized OHV fix.

I guess it's Jeeping is a family activity and it's kinda hard to take the family out on a dirt bike?
    For me 4-wheeling is almost exclusively a way to get into someplace where I want to fish, hunt, or camp. Or a way to get somebody up into it who isn't into hours of granny gear on a bike.

But for pure empty calories, I'm gonna see some stuff from the seat of this thing in 2014:

ride
    I don't necessarily have a motorized OHV fix, per se, but it's nice to have some jeep roads close. My Jeep is my daily driver so when I'm solo with my girls we like to go crashing around the forest, camp, etc.

Plus, my wife would kill me if I brought home a moto. Doesn't mean it won't happen someday, though
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    For me 4-wheeling is almost exclusively a way to get into someplace where I want to fish, hunt, or camp. Or a way to get somebody up into it who isn't into hours of granny gear on a bike.

But for pure empty calories, I'm gonna see some stuff from the seat of this thing in 2014:
    A plated DRZ, awesome! You're gonna love it I'm sure. If you ever want to hit up the trails around KP / Breckenridge shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    I don't necessarily have a motorized OHV fix, per se, but it's nice to have some jeep roads close. My Jeep is my daily driver so when I'm solo with my girls we like to go crashing around the forest, camp, etc.

Plus, my wife would kill me if I brought home a moto. Doesn't mean it won't happen someday, though
    Makes sense. Nothing beats a jeep and a tent for getting away (far away) with the family and you can easily bring MTB's along.

Would your wife kill you for financial reasons, or does she worry you'd kill yourself (before she got the chance)? Or both...

mtbr member
    Front Range 4x4 Forums is a fun site, met a lot of great folks there. As far as trails go how difficult are you willing to go? How far are you willing to drive?

TrailDamage.com is a great site to find a lot of trails, it has an ok rating scale. Right now is a hard time for 4 wheeling, many of the trails are covered in snow. China Wall in Lake George is always a great year round run.

Feel free to PM me in you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Red Cone.
    Nice starter trail!

mtbr member
    Patriot trails in Penrose ) kidding I use to have a buggy I would drag down there and they are nasty body damage is not likly it is going to happen.
    My bike takes me places school never could!

Light freak
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Red Cone.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post

Red Cone may not be the type of trail you are looking for, but you could certianly do Webster Pass up and over in your JK. I have a couple of jeeps, a 97 TJ with mild mods and bone stock 09 Rubicon 4dr, and you would be surprised at what you jeep with stock tires could do. That being said, the snow will keep you off most of the trails for a couple more months, unless you head south a bit.
    Enjoy.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I occasionally have to drive jeep roads for work, but it's not something I do for enjoyment. Would much rather leave the noise and exhaust fumes at the TH.

Team Velveeta™
    A plated DRZ, awesome! You're gonna love it I'm sure. If you ever want to hit up the trails around KP / Breckenridge shoot me a PM...
    It's a killer bike. A little on the heavy side for a beginner attempting singletrack, but it's pretty fun. I got a brother-in-law deal on it from a friend. It's a 400 E, so it was the pure offroad version but with electric start. It was plated after the fact, which is cool. Street legal but still a real offroad bike not a dual sport.

I may take you up on the Kenosha/Breck tour guiding. Might hold you back though, I'm pretty cautious!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've got a titled and plated CRF450X as well.

and I don't suggest Bill Moore Lake to anyone rocking a stock height, high clearance 4x4 without a solid set of sliders. The flooding last year caused Mill Creek to overflow onto the trail. The trail was practically a creek itself, and a lot of trail was eroded away leaving nice big holes and dog sized rocks in the trail everywhere. This trail is no longer rated properly on traildamage.com it is much more difficult now than it was a year ago.

This was during the flooding. Luckily after this it cleared up for a sick weekend of fishing the lakes above Bill Moore. Byron and Ethel. (Lake Ethel is the source of the Mill Creek System) Both Ethel and Byron are above treeline and there are no trails to them. Gorgeous though..

(This is Byron from Lake Ethel's elevation, down in the valley below treeline is where Bill Moore Lake sits)

(This is Lake Ethel, it's a pretty creepy feeling knowing it's some 65 feet deep. It's dead quiet up there @ 13,000ish feet too.)

mtbr member
    Nice Thanks ! cant wait for the snow to melt !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast