Thread: O Rings??

The Notorious S.L.O

O Rings??

just saw a banner add for O rings, ovalized chain rings, looks like a reincarnation of the old biopace oval chain rings......have I been around long enough for things to becoming around full circle?
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Team Velveeta™

Q Rings?

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    just saw a banner add for O rings, ovalized chain rings, looks like a reincarnation of the old biopace oval chain rings......have I been around long enough for things to becoming around full circle?
    Dude, I think you're talking about Rotor Q-Rings.

Biopace wasn't a terrible idea, as I understand it kind of worked for mashers... My first mtb came with Biopace, 28-38-48 and a 6-speed cassette that was I think 13-28. I rode that first drivetrain until it was completely falling apart. Went to a 24T inner ring at some point after I'd had the bike for 3 or 4 years.

When I went to round rings I can't say I noticed any real difference. (Well, I noticed the 24 when I got it. First time I climbed Mt Falcon Park from the bottom it was with a 28T biopace ring and a 28T 1st gear sprocket. On a 30 lb rigid steel bike... A 24T granny was a true upgrade.)

A pro whose blog I read tried them and he seemed to think they were the business, as the brits say.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

I dream on two wheels
    I saw that ad also and had the same thoughts. One of my first bikes had the oval chainrings, I remember thinking it was strange, but really didn't care at the time.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Q rings solve the problem with Biopace in that they have multiple mount points to correct for the rider. A lot of the Pros riding the Tour are using them. I'd try them on my road bike, but, really, the difference for an recreational rider is negligible. Just another item at which to throw money.

mtbr member
    I ride Q-Ring on my roadie. It helps w/ the seat bounce when your cadence is above 100. But I only run the smaller/inner of the two rings on my (compact) cranks. If you have the big ring (and I've tried it also), it can screw w/ your front derailleur position. Plus, I'm pretty much never pedaling in the over 100rpm cadence range on my bigger ring
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Another way to solve bouncing in the saddle, is keep your cadence under 100. Say, around 89-91 to keep that smooth pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Another way to solve bouncing in the saddle, is keep your cadence under 100. Say, around 89-91 to keep that smooth pedal stroke.
    Agreed. But I have mogul skier knees, and the higher revs actually feels mo' betta. The 100rpm range is actually pretty comfortable now...no bouncing...just took a bit of time to get there. At the moment it's about 115-120rpm range before the bouncing begins.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Dude, I think you're talking about Rotor Q-Rings..
    Yeah, Q rings, guess I am getting to old to read.

Never ridden biopace, but I did understand the concept and see how it could be a plus, just struck me funny, what was old is new again.

I guess friction shifting may be the rage next season
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Candlestick Maker
    baker