mtbr member
    Apr 2004

NTM xcguy style aka "Sign sign everywhere a sign"

For the first time in my life I hiked to the top of NTM, this morning at 6:45 am, still not early enough to catch the actual sunrise. At first all the signs threw me (am I where I think I am?) but then the grind up the road started feeling familiar. Definitely different muscle groups being used to get to the top. I love the uphills.

Once on top a trio of coyotes eyeballed me then lazily sauntered off. No deer. The first five hikers I met I wanted to know if anything had been closed that they normally hiked. All five, it was their first time up there. No help. One guy (first timer) heard me go on about that sweet singletrack just at the top going north. He said "sounds good" and last thing I saw he was hiking it. Good for him. What are they gonna do, close it? Wait, it already is closed, just read the sign.

One thing about hiking, most of the time it's just walking walking walking. The distances up on top now seemed daunting. I was already an hour out. Going over to the waterfalls would be another 30 minutes, then 30 minutes back to where I was, then an hour back to the car.

Finally a biker came up and we talked. Yes, he'd been coming up there for years and yeah he was annoyed they'd officially closed all the singletrack that he and I used to ride.
    But whaddayagonnado? He rode on.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'd heard that all the singletrack I'd written about in a previous thread were now officially off limits and the bike guy confirmed that. What I found out this trip was that the areas over on the south end (overlook to Golden and to the top of the climbing area) appeared to be open, although there might have been "Closed" signs further on but I don't think so.

What I didn't expect was the closing of the first left that went over to that set of buildings on the north side. That spur was where the sweet singletrack I mentioned went over the rocky area then met up with the now closed spur. Rats. For the life of me I can't figure out what wildlife was being disturbed by having that set of trails (in fact, a nice loop) in existence.

Anyway, the hikers I met knew nothing about what I was ranting about. I kinda envy them, they can just motor along on the double tracks with their dogs and have a great time unfettered by the knowledge of what was.

It's like the guy who eventually "poached" that sweet singletrack said "hey, there's other parks".
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I kinda envy them, they can just motor along on the double tracks with their dogs and have a great time unfettered by the knowledge of what was.
    Being able to enjoy the moment you're in is indeed, a good space to be in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What they've done with NTM is a shame. Instead of embracing the trail building up top, they decided to enforce more rules than you can shake a stick at and close most every one of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've ridden up there hundreds of times. The long "walking walking walking" sections were places to cruise, lost in a biker reverie. The cool areas waaaaaay over there were within minutes biking. After the biker guy (on a really nice new Gary Fisher) left me, he was over down and then gone to the right in about one minute. It took me 10 minutes to walk to the same point. As we parted I mentioned the time scale difference between him and me and he said "yeah, it's a quick down". It was another 55 minutes for me down to my car. Be quicker if I was a runner but that was years ago. I like riding down that service road more than I enjoyed walking down it fo' sho'.

I can see why these "citizen singletracks" came into being. Once a hiker gets up on top he's faced with the long stretches of double track or, hey, let's cruise along the rim with views then up over that moonlike rocky area then...not any more.

So, next time I hike up there I'll just go to the right past the quarry to the Golden overlook area. Good bang for my hiker buck there. Grinding UP that service road is 1/2 the reason I ever went to NTM anyway. (the last pic here, if they post in the right order, was about where I decided to turn around. The waterfalls I keep talking about were past that last power tower on the right).
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:00 AM.