Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NTM Update

Yappy little dog!

NTM Update

Some info from JCOS regarding a new connector trail for NTM:

April 22, 2011

Dear Neighbors,

Progress is being made on improvements at North Table Mountain Park. As part of our efforts to enhance the recreation experience at the Park and preserve natural resources, Jefferson County Open Space is undertaking a series of trail projects in the Park this year. One project is right in your neighborhood.

With support from the Golden Parks and Recreation Department, Open Space will construct a 650-foot section of trail to connect the City of Golden parking lot on Wyoming Circle to our trailhead. A project map is provided on the back. This crushed-rock trail will reduce erosion, be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and provide a sense of entry into the Park. Concurrently, a well-worn path leading from the parking lot up the mesa side contributes to soil erosion and will be closed and reclaimed.

We’ll be starting these projects soon, with much of the work to be done on May 7 at Spring Into Service, a volunteer event co-sponsored by the Colorado Mountain Club and REI. We invite you to join us at the event! (See attached flyer for details.)

During the construction process, you may notice equipment and supplies staged in the city parking lot. Construction will be limited to the hours of 8
    a.m. to 5 p.m. In advance, we ask for your patience and understanding. If you have questions or would like to sign up to receive periodic e-mail updates, please contact me at trock@jeffco.us or 303-271-5902. A comprehensive
    look at projects and activities in North Table Mountain Park will be coming your way soon.

Sincerely,
    Thea Rock
    Manager of Public Information
    Jefferson County Open Space
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NTM Update-dear-neighbors-wyoming-circle-1_page2_image1.jpg  

not actually bad :)
    Seems they would want to build a sustainable trail from the City of Golden lot to the road that goes up NTM, in place of the path they are closing/reclaiming.
    I don't see anyone that would use that lot wanting to go to the new lot on the new trail and then up the hill. They just want to go up the hill, or else the trail they're closing wouldn't be there in the 1st place.
    Guess I'll send Thea an email.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Seems they would want to build a sustainable trail from the City of Golden lot to the road that goes up NTM, in place of the path they are closing/reclaiming.
    I don't see anyone that would use that lot wanting to go to the new lot on the new trail and then up the hill. They just want to go up the hill, or else the trail they're closing wouldn't be there in the 1st place.
    Guess I'll send Thea an email.

Yeah seems pretty simplistic. Hikers and people from the neighborhood will especially hate this. Why not just make a god sustainable trail from the Golden lot?

mtbr member
    Bummer. I ride " undesignated path (to be closed)" trail 3 times a week. I actually really enjoy the little burn it provides before the long burn riding up the quarry road. I'd have to disagree it causes erosion, I've never seen significant water damage or other problems with it. Here's one hearty vote against the closure!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I used to access the east side of NTM off a little steep spur that joins up with the trail that circles around at the base over to that chute which goes west up past the seasonal waterfalls. There's a sign there now says "Closed. Hey, you can park on 93 if you want!"

From a biker point of view that's a spin around the mountain. From a hiker's POV (me at the moment) that's just too dam far to get in a short hike to the waterfalls. How many trails are they eventually going to leave open?
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-30-2011 at 06:18 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

good riding?

Is NTM good/decent riding?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It used to be decent, until they started blocking off and closing all of the good singletrack up top.

Rigid in Evergreen
    This will be great for people who want to park their car, but who don't want to hang out in the same parking lot as the one where their car is parked.

mtbr member
    Please don't misconstrue me as an apologist for JCOS, because that would be just mean and hateful. I don't support the closures up top any more than the rest of you.

But the trail as shown is probably the best one for their many goals (sustainable, ADA, and access for all ages). You guys who know the area know that any trail in any other direction East and North would include a pretty steep uphill which is what they are trying to eliminate from the current access point.

We are all studs and want that hard core start to our rides, but there are others, say, my 6 year old daughter who loves riding the new N. Table Loop around the base who (right now, because we would never just cut through the fence and go across the newly laid seeding ) needs me to drag her bike up the afore-mentioned-soon-to-be-closed-section and over to the road so she can walk down the road until it gets more level to access the trail and begin her ride.

Until they actually close it I will continue to ride up to the small Y in the trail, curse myself for not having the legs or lungs to make it any further and walk up to the fence and take my rest on the singletrack until I have to get back on the road and throw a lung or two up the back of my throat on that last section that kicks up before cresting the top.

As for questions about the riding there, I think it makes a great one hour ride up the west side across the top and down the east side and around the north side back to the lot(s). It includes a nice workout for the first 1/4, fast double track for the next 1/4, some more advanced intermediate techy descending on the next 1/4 and then fast rolling singletrack for the last 1/4. A great 1hr before work ride if you live near it. Nothing I would drive to on the weekends as longer, better rides are close by.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

great

Its on my way home from work, I've never been up it, looking for a workout ride, XC style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGolden
    Please don't misconstrue me as an apologist for JCOS, because that would be just mean and hateful. I don't support the closures up top any more than the rest of you.

But the trail as shown is probably the best one for their many goals (sustainable, ADA, and access for all ages). You guys who know the area know that any trail in any other direction East and North would include a pretty steep uphill which is what they are trying to eliminate from the current access point.

We are all studs and want that hard core start to our rides, but there are others, say, my 6 year old daughter who loves riding the new N. Table Loop around the base who (right now, because we would never just cut through the fence and go across the newly laid seeding ) needs me to drag her bike up the afore-mentioned-soon-to-be-closed-section and over to the road so she can walk down the road until it gets more level to access the trail and begin her ride.

Until they actually close it I will continue to ride up to the small Y in the trail, curse myself for not having the legs or lungs to make it any further and walk up to the fence and take my rest on the singletrack until I have to get back on the road and throw a lung or two up the back of my throat on that last section that kicks up before cresting the top.

As for questions about the riding there, I think it makes a great one hour ride up the west side across the top and down the east side and around the north side back to the lot(s). It includes a nice workout for the first 1/4, fast double track for the next 1/4, some more advanced intermediate techy descending on the next 1/4 and then fast rolling singletrack for the last 1/4. A great 1hr before work ride if you live near it. Nothing I would drive to on the weekends as longer, better rides are close by.

Bob, I would agree with everything you said, I would just like them to keep that little piece they want to close, open. no reason they cant have a short technical access route along with the more family and hiker friendly route. I think JCOS can sometimes over engineer things for the sake of it (I used to work on the JCOS trail crew, I've been in those planning sessions)

In terms of the ride, I would agree its good for a quick hours workout, nothing amazing that's worth going way out of your way. (although I just discovered the unmapped, unmarked single track that leads off the south side of the mountain. that's the most technical of the routes off the side.

In terms of the loop that BobGolden describes, I've been running it for 6 weeks or so now, my best time so far is 47 minutes driveway to driveway (live off Mesa Drive). I like the way Bob describes it as in 4 sections, burn, flat single track (great for sunrises, nearly always see the herd of deer before 7am), moderate technical down, rolling cruise back around the base.

If anyone is able to ride it regularly, let me know, I'd like to startup informal 2-3x weekly morning group rides thru the summer.

Stand back
    I just hope they'll build another parking lot 500' to the north, and connect that with another crusher fine path. That way we can shuttle NTM with options...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan
    It used to be decent, until they started blocking off and closing all of the good singletrack up top.
    ^^ what he said.

sadly, there are now more closed trails than open up there, and more signs than you can shake a stick at.

fwiw, NTM also seems to be the new jeffco dog park, based on my last jaunt up there.
    i'm sure the wildlife that was apparently so threatened by the occasional biker loves that new aspect.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode it last night and yes, its about an hour loop. It was a nice ride, great views. Hardly anyone there. Not sure why they close all the trails, but that seems to be a common thing these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup
    (great for sunrises, nearly always see the herd of deer before 7am)

If anyone is able to ride it regularly, let me know, I'd like to startup informal 2-3x weekly morning group rides thru the summer.
    The herd was out there in full force Thursday morning, just at sunup, hard to see the trail at 6:30ish as the sun is blinding.

Love to meet up, give me a ten minute head start and you will catch me right at the top of the road

mtbr member
    I ride it about 1x a week before work (6am-ish) - would definitely be up a ride. At 47 minutes, not sure I will keep up, but at least I can't get lost.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    I live in the neighborhood and this is great news. Not really for me as a mountain biker, I never really cared for riding NTM even before they took off the decent trails (I just can't understand why ANYONE (including a lot of my friends) would choose to ride there over White Ranch just 1 mile away), BUT it is a nice place to go for a quick walk, and my daughter likes to ride the North Table Loop and it was always hard for her to get there going up the hill, over the fence, etc. This new trail is needed and will be used by the neighborhoods. Thanks for posting Mitch.

Thread Terrorist
    Just remember, the 'good' and 'fun' singletrack didn't go in until after jeffco banned that area initially. It was never meant to be, but when it was there, it was fun. RIP.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    I live in the neighborhood and this is great news. Not really for me as a mountain biker, I never really cared for riding NTM even before they took off the decent trails (I just can't understand why ANYONE (including a lot of my friends) would choose to ride there over White Ranch just 1 mile away), BUT it is a nice place to go for a quick walk, and my daughter likes to ride the North Table Loop and it was always hard for her to get there going up the hill, over the fence, etc. This new trail is needed and will be used by the neighborhoods. Thanks for posting Mitch.
    I dont ride NTM frequently cause its an epic ride, its not, but neither is WR. but I can pedal from the garage up top of NTM and back down before work, WR is for weekends when I have 2+ hours to run belcher/mustang, from the garage. there is something sweet about not having to load a bike on a car and turn on an engine in order to ride, especially before work when its just me and the deer.

imaorobbie
    although I just discovered the unmapped, unmarked single track that leads off the south side of the mountain. that's the most technical of the routes off the side.
    Would that be the trail that leads up from the parking lots on the south side, where all the climbers park? If so, did you get to that trail from the top? That's a hell of a roll in. The first move on that is sketchy. It's easily a >5.9 scramble to get up that when setting top-rope.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I dont ride NTM frequently cause its an epic ride, its not, but neither is WR. but I can pedal from the garage up top of NTM and back down before work, WR is for weekends when I have 2+ hours to run belcher/mustang, from the garage. there is something sweet about not having to load a bike on a car and turn on an engine in order to ride, especially before work when its just me and the deer.
    I'm 35 minutes drive time from NTM. I was addicted to the grind up the service road for one season but had little time to ride. All summer I'd get to NTM before 6am, do a time trial to the top (while the road was still in the shade), cruise around a bit on top (say hello to the deer and the sunrise) and get back home in time to get to my desk about 7:30am. It'd been better if I could have just ridden from my garage like you.

Middle of a summer day is no time to do that ride but real early in the morning, it was kinda other worldly up top.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I'm 35 minutes drive time from NTM. I was addicted to the grind up the service road for one season but had little time to ride. All summer I'd get to NTM before 6am, do a time trial to the top (while the road was still in the shade), cruise around a bit on top (say hello to the deer and the sunrise) and get back home in time to get to my desk about 7:30am. It'd been better if I could have just ridden from my garage like you.

Middle of a summer day is no time to do that ride but real early in the morning, it was kinda other worldly up top.

Just an update on the deer, they were down in the Golden Open Space singletrack this morning, those buggers just can't stay in one area, I presume because the sun is coming up earlier and they are on the move. Just me and one runner up there this morning

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

agreed

I don't have time usually to load a car & drive. I've got family, house and work committments eating up my spare time...I tend to road bike more right from my house, or MTB the S Boulder trails from my house.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy

got a quick summit ride in this morning, I'm starting to get addicted to the grind too. Every week I try to do quarry road in a harder gear. you are right about otherwordly, when you are up top city life disappears, especially just at sunrise. I'm using it as training for the colorado quinella, the fifth annual this year! coloradoquinella.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    got a quick summit ride in this morning, I'm starting to get addicted to the grind too. Every week I try to do quarry road in a harder gear. you are right about otherwordly, when you are up top city life disappears, especially just at sunrise. I'm using it as training for the colorado quinella, the fifth annual this year! coloradoquinella.com
    Yeah, not to belabor that point but up top it's rather startling how "isolated" you feel from all the traffic and whatnot going on below you, like "the land that time forgot". Those gnarly mini-mountains sticking up from the mesa, all that cactus. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast