Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yappy little dog!

NTM Singletrack is Gone!

`I'm going to email Kim Fredricks and see what is up, but the singletrack that used to go through the mars lava rock area and the part on the western side are closed. Everything is routed onto the dirt roads. Really disappointing since that was the best part of the mountain.

mtbr member
    You could just cross the street and go to White Ranch. Much more funnerer there anyways.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    You could just cross the street and go to White Ranch. Much more funnerer there anyways.
    Yeah, I know but then I have to commit to a long ride and climb Belcher. NTM is good for a quickie with a climb.

not actually bad :)
    That sucks.
    Haven't been there much, but do like it.
    Let us know what's up.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    yep, that "social trail" has been on the cutting block since they finished the NTM management plan so long ago... was just a matter of time before they enacted and signed everything.

sadly, the "official" trail system up there doesn't take advantage of the potential that NTM has to offer.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member

That sucks!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009

Yeah. Very irritating. I rode this trail yesterday.

And now it's off limits. I've been riding these trails for years. Who decided that they are now "unauthorized" trails?

This is the trail that takes you to the north overlook.

Stand back
    If only we were hikers, maybe we could authorize social trails...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what Jeffco plans to do with NTM? I am scratching my head wondering why they would spend all the $$$ building a new trailhead (parking area etc.), which will bring MORE hikers/bikers/runners to NTM and then go close numerous trails around and on the mountain.

I understand that the singletrack would have needed work to be sustainable, but why put a higher volume of users (mixed users at that - don't forget the horses too) on LESS trail?

I am just hoping that there are plans to ADD trails and not just reclaim them.

mtbr member
    Wow, that really freakin' sucks. Like someone already said above, that was the best trail on the mountain.

What the hell is the reason for closing it? Too much fun? They'd rather have people on the doubletrack?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The raptor nesting area on the north facing cliffs has something to do with them wanting to limit encouraging peeps from heading that direction. Why "they" don't utilize the social trails that head in other directions and even cut in more trails around the top is a mystery. It's like they just really don't want anyone up there.

I would tell you some of my favorite trails/loops up there but I'm afraid they're all turn out to be social trails and I'd just be alerting somebody of how cool they are so they'll then close them as well just because they can.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member

the usual suspects

reasons: ecology ; wildlife ; politics.

i'm sure you can find the NTM management plan on the JCOS site somewhere... this all went down a couple of years ago.

fwiw, this issue is what got me involved in local advocacy back in '05, since NTM is the closest trail to me. win some, lose some. at least we avoided the alternate day exclusion up there (and indeed some folks were pushing hard for "no bikes allowed").
    -

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Does anyone know what Jeffco plans to do with NTM? I am scratching my head wondering why they would spend all the $$$ building a new trailhead (parking area etc.), which will bring MORE hikers/bikers/runners to NTM and then go close numerous trails around and on the mountain.

I understand that the singletrack would have needed work to be sustainable, but why put a higher volume of users (mixed users at that - don't forget the horses too) on LESS trail?

I am just hoping that there are plans to ADD trails and not just reclaim them.
    Nope. That's too bad also, because that was a great loop up on top. Almost like the original plan to ban MTB's completely? They let you in, but closed the only good trail and eliminated the loops... now there's no reason to go to NTM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Does anyone know what Jeffco plans to do with NTM?
    Here's the concept plan map from the Jeffco website: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...conceptmap.pdf

The "sensitive areas" shown are due to rare plants in teh rock garden area, and raptor nests on the north cliffs. I'd bet that's the rationale behind the seasonal trail closure in that NE corner.

I hope the new trails/connections are cool when its all done. (The green lines along the east side-slopes could have potential)...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    reasons: ecology ; wildlife ; politics.

i'm sure you can find the NTM management plan on the JCOS site somewhere... this all went down a couple of years ago.

fwiw, this issue is what got me involved in local advocacy back in '05, since NTM is the closest trail to me. win some, lose some. at least we avoided the alternate day exclusion up there (and indeed some folks were pushing hard for "no bikes allowed").

Thanks gotdirt. Here's the plan

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...ve_summary.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco1109
    And the concept map...

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...conceptmap.pdf

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Why are people surprised when social/illegal trails get shut down? Folks seem to forget that open space is purchased and preserved for many reasons, having fun on mtbs is only one of them.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco1109
    I think if you put topo lines on that map you would notice the green perimeter trail is not on top of NTM.

The dashed lines are the mesa rim.

Starts B, ends Rant.
    To be fair to the guys complaining though, JCOS seems to be in the habit of cutting trail supply in the face of increasing trail demand. I have no problem with preservation, but simple economics dictates that decreasing supply of trails will probably only lead to more congestion, problems and ultimately illegal trails. There has to be a solution where JCOS can increase the size of the network, while preserving the experience and the habitat. Little OT, but it boggles my mind why they don't build a shuttle only downhill trail. If there is lots of demand and tons of younger riders going that direction, why not add supply where there is demand. I'm not really upset about this, I just don't get it.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    `I'm going to email Kim Fredricks and see what is up, but the singletrack that used to go through the mars lava rock area and the part on the western side are closed. Everything is routed onto the dirt roads. Really disappointing since that was the best part of the mountain.
    IT WAS ILLEGAL TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

I won't mention who put that in, but I warned them that it will be destroyed. When NTM management plan was set, Jeffco realized that there were social trails. They asked for people to stick to them.

Thats when the illegal trail was built. and so people started riding it. If you are a true steward to Jeffco, stay the F**K off this trail. We're not helping ourselves by whining and complaining either... It went in AFTER Jeffco said this place was off limits.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan
    Wow, that really freakin' sucks. Like someone already said above, that was the best trail on the mountain.

What the hell is the reason for closing it? Too much fun? They'd rather have people on the doubletrack?
    I agree. That was the best place for a given trail. Like gotdirt, I two jumped into the advocacy camp when the City of Golden wanted the ban of MTN bikes up there as well. We weren't organized prior to then like we are now. I can go over many of the politics that led us to where we are now, but the short of it is that area was the prime area for mtn bikers.

So, when Jeffco said that "its open to the public", although no official trails and signage is up way back in 05, everyone started riding it more often. The prime spot for trail (Again, I'll leave those that designed and built it out of it) was on the North West side on the rocks. Jeffco wanted that to be off limits for visual and other needs. Everyone likes to play on slick rock, including hikers and kids. The trail, when socially installed, had a time line and a finite death certificate.

My neighbors used to have a circuit race around that thing, one of which was a volunteer patrol guy. I would only hope we can go back and battle for this trail.

So, what can you do?

Get back to OSAC and ask for it back. its not hurting anything or anyone. That place has been built upon, grazed, quarried and farmed. Its no jewel wilderness by any means, especially with 375KV lines and antenna's sticking out of it.

Regardless, most of us knew this was going to be eliminated. I'm saddened as well, but sorry for the surprise.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rant
    To be fair to the guys complaining though, JCOS seems to be in the habit of cutting trail supply in the face of increasing trail demand. I have no problem with preservation, but simple economics dictates that decreasing supply of trails will probably only lead to more congestion, problems and ultimately illegal trails. There has to be a solution where JCOS can increase the size of the network, while preserving the experience and the habitat. Little OT, but it boggles my mind why they don't build a shuttle only downhill trail. If there is lots of demand and tons of younger riders going that direction, why not add supply where there is demand. I'm not really upset about this, I just don't get it.
    Where have you been? JK

We've been fighting this for years. They may be finally coming around. Golden Bike Park is a prime example of what mtn bikers are looking for, and OSAC is watching.

ie
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ntm

xxx
    Last edited by Ajeet Mipans; 05-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you look at the concept map the only thing we have lost is the single track on the NW side, and south part of the loop on the NE side (KKK Loop). It still allows us to drop down the trail on the SE and NE sides. Not the end of the world as I see it.
    I think we all knew that the trail on NW side would be taken away from us.

What I worry more about is trail abuse by riders. I rode Lair O' Bair yesterday. People making new trails to avoid rocks, two places where riders ride 4-5' up an embankment (makes the trail look like ****) on corners. Dipweed riders that think that the trails are their own little personal playground will cost us more trail losses down the road.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajeet Mipans
    Dipweed riders that think that the trails are their own little personal playground will cost us more trail losses down the road.

Yep, you aren't supposed to have fun while riding. This is serious business!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    I think if you put topo lines on that map you would notice the green perimeter trail is not on top of NTM.
    exactly.
    that was the same point i attempted to make during one of the OSAC meetings, because the map is misleading when viewed in 2D. once you get to the top, there is no perimeter trail and no loop to speak of. it's all out & back.

going forward the lichen rock trail will be for the benefit of hikers only, as it would seem the area only needs "special protection" from cyclists.

NTM Singletrack is Gone!-ntm.png
    -

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Shawn W., don't get me wrong, mountain biking is all about having fun. My bone of contention is people that deliberately deface or widen trails because: A-they can't handle the difficulty of the trail (i.e. rock garden at the bottom of Chimney) or B: blight a trail by making a 5' ugly swath up the side of it to get that little extra adrenaline rush (i.e. Lair O' Bair).
    So...as to not sound like a whiney ass complainer..if you can't hack the technical part of a trail, walk it...if the trail don't give enough of a rush then go ride one of the numerous bike parks or resorts that'll give you that rush you need.

Back to point at hand. Sad about NTM but I think there is still some fun riding to be had up there.

Stand back
    I don't think there was ever any trail on NTM that compared favorably to others in the area, but it filled a need when those others were snow covered or muddy. Now, it's just a little less worth the climb up, IMHO. Luckily we've got some new trails (which are built to be fun) being developed just east of there.
    Last edited by dbabuser; 05-23-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    So just got done riding South Table Mtn. and it appears as though the same thing is taking place up there. Couldn't find anything up to date (old info./news on Jeffco's site) regarding these closures. Anybody know of anything aside from the reference of why I'm riding up on S. Table (like peeps that like N. Table...it is close and not very crowded). Hope everyone had a good day riding cause the weather was phenominal.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro
    So just got done riding South Table Mtn. and it appears as though the same thing is taking place up there. Couldn't find anything up to date (old info./news on Jeffco's site) regarding these closures. Anybody know of anything aside from the reference of why I'm riding up on S. Table (like peeps that like N. Table...it is close and not very crowded). Hope everyone had a good day riding cause the weather was phenominal.
    Santa's magical reindeer overwinter on STM and NTM?

Yappy little dog!

Whoa.

I just finished reading all of the replies. Please, please please! If it is closed, DO NOT RIDE IT! There are places to take care of this now. Go to the TUTF and OSAC meetings. Take it through proper channels. If you don't get involved (as most of you will not(, then you don't have a voice.

It's sad to see trails closed, and as a JCOS volunteer it makes it very difficult to hide my feelings, but obeying the rules and doing this the right way will have a far greater effect on changing them.

feel the Force
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajeet Mipans
    Shawn W., don't get me wrong, mountain biking is all about having fun. My bone of contention is people that deliberately deface or widen trails because: A-they can't handle the difficulty of the trail (i.e. rock garden at the bottom of Chimney) or B: blight a trail by making a 5' ugly swath up the side of it to get that little extra adrenaline rush (i.e. Lair O' Bair).
    So...as to not sound like a whiney ass complainer..if you can't hack the technical part of a trail, walk it...if the trail don't give enough of a rush then go ride one of the numerous bike parks or resorts that'll give you that rush you need.

Back to point at hand. Sad about NTM but I think there is still some fun riding to be had up there.
    This isn't just a biking problem. Go to one of the many places that are hiking only and guess what you'll find? 5-7 foot wide trails with many diversions around 3 inch rocks. Just go to RMNP, Chatauqua, etc, and this is what you'll find. Bikes have never been in RMNP, and it's been over 25 years for Chatauqua.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    I just finished reading all of the replies. Please, please please! If it is closed, DO NOT RIDE IT!
    Where did you see someone saying they rode closed areas? I re-read this thread and could not find it.
    Golden Bike Park

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Where did you see someone saying they rode closed areas? I re-read this thread and could not find it.
    I thought I saw it mentioned, not that it was actually done. Just heading off at the pass.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm still wondering why for S. Table? I understand the new trail development at N. Table and (according to this thread) closures due to wildlife/bird, but why S. Table? Any development plans I'm unaware of? I did see on Jeffco's site (the old info. from 2008) that there were proposed trail developments near NREL area, but those hardly constitute mtn. bike trails. They look like hiking trails that have crushed gravel on them with like 2ft vertical. Any info. is greatly appreciated.

not actually bad :)
    I guess I'm still wondering why for S. Table?
    Saw Kim Frederick Fri night at La Carreta. Talked to him for a bit, and he said they would be closing old social trails (that have become more main trails) because most of STM is private property anyway.
    http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...l_plan_map.pdf
    Old Codger

Thread Terrorist
    Man, that would be a great place for a starbucks or a nike shoe factory
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Saw Kim Frederick Fri night at La Carreta. Talked to him for a bit, and he said they would be closing old social trails (that have become more main trails) because most of STM is private property anyway.
    http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...l_plan_map.pdf
    I suppose that makes sense. I don't think anyone really knew what the property lines were up there. All I saw were those simple plastic signs that said something like "leaving public lands". I'm not sure if anyone paid attention before these very obvious closures. Oh well, guess I got's to actually load the bike up and drive to trails now.

Light freak
    I think they should turn STM back into a beer garden

mtbr member
    I am as bummed as anyone. I had a great figure 8 loop worked out up there that was actually fun and challenging to ride. Here's the official response from JCOS:

Your comments have been forwarded to Amy Ito, Manager of Planning and staff liaison with the Trail Use Task Force. Trail alignments at North Table Mountain were one of the topics addressed through public input during the park planning process and nearly 18 months of investigation by an ad hoc community group. Ground nesting bird and vegetation studys were also conducted during this time and the final North Table Mountain Park Management Plan integrated some findings. The result is a matter of directing use on the mesa away from areas designated as sensitive or special protection areas. Although well established trails may make sense from a recreation perspective, they likely have impacts beyond providing trail mileage. Our challenge is to balance protection of the natural resources with providing recreational opportunities.

Yeah, whatever.
    What, me worry?

Pivot Rider
    This is why we need to stay politically active, ladies and gents! The Trails Use Task Force meeting is TONIGHT! I think it is important to show up and be sure to let our "bike reps" know (as well as the task force as a whole) that we are ALL concerned about the future of mtn biking here in the county and that we want our voices to be heard! (not the voices of those who may not totally understand the passion of mtn biking!).
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl
    This is why we need to stay politically active, ladies and gents! The Trails Use Task Force meeting is TONIGHT! I think it is important to show up and be sure to let our "bike reps" know (as well as the task force as a whole) that we are ALL concerned about the future of mtn biking here in the county and that we want our voices to be heard! (not the voices of those who may not totally understand the passion of mtn biking!).
    All very true but IMO, the MTB community also needs to take a hard look at what it's values are. Do we want to push for all trails, everywhere, regardless of other values such as preserving wildlife habitat? Seems like the MTB community is making progress and is making some good things happen, but is it a wise move from a variety of standpoints to push JEFFCO or any other land managing agency to compromise it's mandate to find a balance between recreation and preservation land for it's own sake?

If the trail in question was illegally built in an area that had been specifically set aside to preserve a block of intact habitat, it might not be the best move from a PR and a partnership building point of view to push it.

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth, but maybe some mountain bikers need to put themselves in the shoes of those who are responsible for juggling all the various interests and goals of managing open space. They might find there is a lot more to it than making sure there are lots of trails for us to have fun on.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    All very true but IMO, the MTB community also needs to take a hard look at what it's values are...... maybe some mountain bikers need to put themselves in the shoes of those who are responsible for juggling all the various interests and goals of managing open space. They might find there is a lot more to it than making sure there are lots of trails for us to have fun on.
    Perhaps, but an extreme stance to the point of eliminating human activity and interaction with wildlife is not necessarily "stewardship" either. We are just monkeys with car keys after all. Humans and wildlife have evolved together, who are we to say what's "natural" and what's not? Maybe we're supposed to be chasing wildlife around?

IMHO What you are actually seeing is the result of a group of people who redefined the term "open space" several years ago to suit their preservation agenda.

Look it up. In most places throughout the US "open space" is defined as: empty or vacant land, often parkland which is considered an amenity for surrounding residences. But not in Colorado, not any more. Now open space is being created with your tax dollars completely without public access.

Isn't that really a "wildlife preserve"?

Besides, most open space parks are 1000 acres or less and surrounded by homes and pets. Just what are you saving and for how long? Perhaps it's better for the wildlife flee somewhere else rather than live in an open space park and risk getting hit by an SUV crossing the road or having your eggs eaten by a feral cat. (FWIW DOW estimates animal ranges by road kills.)

And honestly I could care less about a trail being 1' or 6' wide. That stuff can be fixed with a mini-x. (The myth that everything must be 12" wide singletrack is an advertising gimmick to sell bikes.)

It's that 100' - 300' zone outside of the trail that matters the most (Trail Corridor), and whether or not people and their DOGS are getting off the trail and chasing wildlife outside of the trail corridor.

That's probably why the NTM trails are really being closed. Think about it. DOGS and ground nesting birds do not mix. Seems pretty logical doesn't it?

IMHO though, if anyone were really serious about preserving wildlife, they would ban dogs first, not people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    If the trail in question was illegally built in an area that had been specifically set aside to preserve a block of intact habitat, it might not be the best move from a PR and a partnership building point of view to push it.
    a couple of points:
    • a fair amount of trail mileage up there (now closed) came after the NTM review... which is too bad, as it could've potentially been grandfathered in.
    • more to your point about habitat, however, is the unfortunate determination that the lichen trail is acceptable for use by hikers but not mtn bikers (who i have on good authority are responsible for its creation).

i tend to concur w/ uncle trail.
    -

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    a couple of points:

i tend to concur w/ uncle trail.
    ROFL

Stand back
    Uncle Trail FTW...
    Golden Bike Park

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    I guess I'm still wondering why for S. Table? I understand the new trail development at N. Table and (according to this thread) closures due to wildlife/bird, but why S. Table? Any development plans I'm unaware of? I did see on Jeffco's site (the old info. from 2008) that there were proposed trail developments near NREL area, but those hardly constitute mtn. bike trails. They look like hiking trails that have crushed gravel on them with like 2ft vertical. Any info. is greatly appreciated.
    The majority of the STM trails are all on private property that have been used for years. The eventual plan will only have two loops- one east and one west- joined by the east west connector. Basically a barbell. The plans call for crushed granite to cover the whole thing. Yay! I only hope they leave the bigger rocks like they did on the east loop to keep it interesting- sigh... It really is a shame that the county moves at this speed- I didn't even live in the neighborhood when all this was in the planning stages in 2006 and from what I understand, the outreach to the immediate community surrounding STM left a lot to be desired.

Crusher fine for some, miniature American flags for others...
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is this the area where COMBA tried to build a free ride park years ago?
    Anybody know about this or am I totally wrong?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 26'er
    the proposed "free ride" park at NTM was not a COMBA initiative.

it was one of the many suggestions on the table at the time. we simply pointed out that, while the concept was good, the location was not... (realistically how many "free riders" on hefty bikes are going to climb/push up the steepest grade in all of JCOS trails?).
    -

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by 26'er

I am not sure about that. However, it is my understanding that a certain person who was a leader within COMBA may be partly responsible for this disaster.

That was then and this is now. The new COMBA will surely work for more trails, not less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast