Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yappy little dog!

NTM Singletrack is Gone!

`I'm going to email Kim Fredricks and see what is up, but the singletrack that used to go through the mars lava rock area and the part on the western side are closed. Everything is routed onto the dirt roads. Really disappointing since that was the best part of the mountain.

mtbr member
    You could just cross the street and go to White Ranch. Much more funnerer there anyways.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    You could just cross the street and go to White Ranch. Much more funnerer there anyways.
    Yeah, I know but then I have to commit to a long ride and climb Belcher. NTM is good for a quickie with a climb.

not actually bad :)
    That sucks.
    Haven't been there much, but do like it.
    Let us know what's up.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    yep, that "social trail" has been on the cutting block since they finished the NTM management plan so long ago... was just a matter of time before they enacted and signed everything.

sadly, the "official" trail system up there doesn't take advantage of the potential that NTM has to offer.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member

That sucks!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009

Yeah. Very irritating. I rode this trail yesterday.

And now it's off limits. I've been riding these trails for years. Who decided that they are now "unauthorized" trails?

This is the trail that takes you to the north overlook.

Stand back
    If only we were hikers, maybe we could authorize social trails...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what Jeffco plans to do with NTM? I am scratching my head wondering why they would spend all the $$$ building a new trailhead (parking area etc.), which will bring MORE hikers/bikers/runners to NTM and then go close numerous trails around and on the mountain.

I understand that the singletrack would have needed work to be sustainable, but why put a higher volume of users (mixed users at that - don't forget the horses too) on LESS trail?

I am just hoping that there are plans to ADD trails and not just reclaim them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wow, that really freakin' sucks. Like someone already said above, that was the best trail on the mountain.

What the hell is the reason for closing it? Too much fun? They'd rather have people on the doubletrack?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The raptor nesting area on the north facing cliffs has something to do with them wanting to limit encouraging peeps from heading that direction. Why "they" don't utilize the social trails that head in other directions and even cut in more trails around the top is a mystery. It's like they just really don't want anyone up there.

I would tell you some of my favorite trails/loops up there but I'm afraid they're all turn out to be social trails and I'd just be alerting somebody of how cool they are so they'll then close them as well just because they can.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member

the usual suspects

reasons: ecology ; wildlife ; politics.

i'm sure you can find the NTM management plan on the JCOS site somewhere... this all went down a couple of years ago.

fwiw, this issue is what got me involved in local advocacy back in '05, since NTM is the closest trail to me. win some, lose some. at least we avoided the alternate day exclusion up there (and indeed some folks were pushing hard for "no bikes allowed").
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Does anyone know what Jeffco plans to do with NTM? I am scratching my head wondering why they would spend all the $$$ building a new trailhead (parking area etc.), which will bring MORE hikers/bikers/runners to NTM and then go close numerous trails around and on the mountain.

I understand that the singletrack would have needed work to be sustainable, but why put a higher volume of users (mixed users at that - don't forget the horses too) on LESS trail?

I am just hoping that there are plans to ADD trails and not just reclaim them.
    Nope. That's too bad also, because that was a great loop up on top. Almost like the original plan to ban MTB's completely? They let you in, but closed the only good trail and eliminated the loops... now there's no reason to go to NTM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Does anyone know what Jeffco plans to do with NTM?
    Here's the concept plan map from the Jeffco website: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...conceptmap.pdf

The "sensitive areas" shown are due to rare plants in teh rock garden area, and raptor nests on the north cliffs. I'd bet that's the rationale behind the seasonal trail closure in that NE corner.

I hope the new trails/connections are cool when its all done. (The green lines along the east side-slopes could have potential)...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    reasons: ecology ; wildlife ; politics.

i'm sure you can find the NTM management plan on the JCOS site somewhere... this all went down a couple of years ago.

fwiw, this issue is what got me involved in local advocacy back in '05, since NTM is the closest trail to me. win some, lose some. at least we avoided the alternate day exclusion up there (and indeed some folks were pushing hard for "no bikes allowed").

Thanks gotdirt. Here's the plan

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...ve_summary.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco1109
    And the concept map...

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...conceptmap.pdf

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Why are people surprised when social/illegal trails get shut down? Folks seem to forget that open space is purchased and preserved for many reasons, having fun on mtbs is only one of them.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco1109
    I think if you put topo lines on that map you would notice the green perimeter trail is not on top of NTM.

The dashed lines are the mesa rim.

Starts B, ends Rant.
    To be fair to the guys complaining though, JCOS seems to be in the habit of cutting trail supply in the face of increasing trail demand. I have no problem with preservation, but simple economics dictates that decreasing supply of trails will probably only lead to more congestion, problems and ultimately illegal trails. There has to be a solution where JCOS can increase the size of the network, while preserving the experience and the habitat. Little OT, but it boggles my mind why they don't build a shuttle only downhill trail. If there is lots of demand and tons of younger riders going that direction, why not add supply where there is demand. I'm not really upset about this, I just don't get it.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    `I'm going to email Kim Fredricks and see what is up, but the singletrack that used to go through the mars lava rock area and the part on the western side are closed. Everything is routed onto the dirt roads. Really disappointing since that was the best part of the mountain.
    IT WAS ILLEGAL TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

I won't mention who put that in, but I warned them that it will be destroyed. When NTM management plan was set, Jeffco realized that there were social trails. They asked for people to stick to them.

Thats when the illegal trail was built. and so people started riding it. If you are a true steward to Jeffco, stay the F**K off this trail. We're not helping ourselves by whining and complaining either... It went in AFTER Jeffco said this place was off limits.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan
    Wow, that really freakin' sucks. Like someone already said above, that was the best trail on the mountain.

What the hell is the reason for closing it? Too much fun? They'd rather have people on the doubletrack?
    I agree. That was the best place for a given trail. Like gotdirt, I two jumped into the advocacy camp when the City of Golden wanted the ban of MTN bikes up there as well. We weren't organized prior to then like we are now. I can go over many of the politics that led us to where we are now, but the short of it is that area was the prime area for mtn bikers.

So, when Jeffco said that "its open to the public", although no official trails and signage is up way back in 05, everyone started riding it more often. The prime spot for trail (Again, I'll leave those that designed and built it out of it) was on the North West side on the rocks. Jeffco wanted that to be off limits for visual and other needs. Everyone likes to play on slick rock, including hikers and kids. The trail, when socially installed, had a time line and a finite death certificate.

My neighbors used to have a circuit race around that thing, one of which was a volunteer patrol guy. I would only hope we can go back and battle for this trail.

So, what can you do?

Get back to OSAC and ask for it back. its not hurting anything or anyone. That place has been built upon, grazed, quarried and farmed. Its no jewel wilderness by any means, especially with 375KV lines and antenna's sticking out of it.

Regardless, most of us knew this was going to be eliminated. I'm saddened as well, but sorry for the surprise.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rant
    To be fair to the guys complaining though, JCOS seems to be in the habit of cutting trail supply in the face of increasing trail demand. I have no problem with preservation, but simple economics dictates that decreasing supply of trails will probably only lead to more congestion, problems and ultimately illegal trails. There has to be a solution where JCOS can increase the size of the network, while preserving the experience and the habitat. Little OT, but it boggles my mind why they don't build a shuttle only downhill trail. If there is lots of demand and tons of younger riders going that direction, why not add supply where there is demand. I'm not really upset about this, I just don't get it.
    Where have you been? JK

We've been fighting this for years. They may be finally coming around. Golden Bike Park is a prime example of what mtn bikers are looking for, and OSAC is watching.

ie
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ntm

xxx
    Last edited by Ajeet Mipans; 05-21-2010 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you look at the concept map the only thing we have lost is the single track on the NW side, and south part of the loop on the NE side (KKK Loop). It still allows us to drop down the trail on the SE and NE sides. Not the end of the world as I see it.
    I think we all knew that the trail on NW side would be taken away from us.

What I worry more about is trail abuse by riders. I rode Lair O' Bair yesterday. People making new trails to avoid rocks, two places where riders ride 4-5' up an embankment (makes the trail look like ****) on corners. Dipweed riders that think that the trails are their own little personal playground will cost us more trail losses down the road.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajeet Mipans
    Dipweed riders that think that the trails are their own little personal playground will cost us more trail losses down the road.

Yep, you aren't supposed to have fun while riding. This is serious business!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast