mtbr member
    Apr 2004

NTM service road hillclimb...with waterfalls!

11:52. I gave it all I had (after warming up on the new trail for awhile). At least I got under 12 minutes for the first time. Who cares, right?

Up on top I didn't see anybody. At least till I got over to the east side where the seasonal waterfalls are. Who'd guess there's waterfalls on the top of North Table Mountain? I have proof! As I was slipping around on the rocks taking pics PLOP! a couple of dogs just belly flopped into the pool next to me. Scared the sh!t out of me, never saw or heard them coming.

Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    More trail pics. The two horses stopped to chat with me. I like horses...but they're so big! Even when they're just shifting their position a little they would knock me aside.

When I saw the new trail I thought "cool, new trail". Why would anyone think it's a bad thing?
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

skillz to pay billz
    looks nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    looks nice.
    Thanks. I've had three great rides in three days--Spring Brook, Walker Ranch and today. All green, all good. You can see some panoramas I stitched together on this thread. The tall waterfall one is my first attempt at a vertical pano. I was standing about 6' in front of it, getting splashed constantly. I craned my view up, took four shots coming down to the pool, with no clue as to if it was gonna come out. My panorama program, Microsoft ICE, did a decent job of sorting it out I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    11:52. I gave it all I had (after warming up on the new trail for awhile). At least I got under 12 minutes for the first time. Who cares, right?

Up on top I didn't see anybody. At least till I got over to the east side where the seasonal waterfalls are. Who'd guess there's waterfalls on the top of North Table Mountain? I have proof! As I was slipping around on the rocks taking pics PLOP! a couple of dogs just belly flopped into the pool next to me. Scared the sh!t out of me, never saw or heard them coming.

Hey love the picture off NTM looking toward Denver, any chance you can take a photo with the wide lens looking toward golden.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't have a wide lens, I've been stitching together carefully overlapped pics. Maybe a super wide lens would be easier but surely a lot more expensive. Next time I'm up there I'll do a pano from above the climbing area looking south. Is that what you're asking for?

mtbr member
    Wow great shots! Never knew about the waterfall.

BTW...Jeffco will be doing their National Trails Day at North Table this Saturday, finishing some tread on the new trail.
    http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/news/n...p_T9_R1387.htm

not actually bad :)
    Nice work - sounds fast - I'll have to time it sometime.

WTF Jeffco??!! - that looks like a really sucky trail. I mean path - WTH were you thinking? Why can't you build only stuff that I like?
    Sorry - I was elected to take over for Schnauzers while he was hanging with Mickey.

Nice pix as usual xcguy. May have to check the waterfall - haven't seen it with water before!
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Nice work - sounds fast - I'll have to time it sometime.

WTF Jeffco??!! - that looks like a really sucky trail. I mean path - WTH were you thinking? Why can't you build only stuff that I like?
    Sorry - I was elected to take over for Schnauzers while he was hanging with Mickey.

Nice pix as usual xcguy. May have to check the waterfall - haven't seen it with water before!
    1. Start with back tire up against the gate at the bottom (tiny parking lot off 93). Go up just past the quarry to the faint double track to the right, faint single track to left. Puke as needed. I fully expect everyone to beat this time, just wondering by how much.

2. B!tch b!tch b!tch. This section of "trail" goes around the north side and is in pieces currently, awaiting looks like three "bridges" to be installed to go over some deep drainages. And when it's finished? Yet more for us to ride.

3. After today's rain it should be running even more. Timing is everything with that waterfall. If the trails are still too soupy you're not going to be riding up there to see it at its peak, if you wait too long the trails are dry and the amount of water going to it is miniscule. When I took these pics the trails were sort of muddy in spots and real damp most everywhere else. I'd never seen it running this full. What a treat.

mtbr member
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Sweet! Looks like it will be a fun trail to ride!

mtbr member
    Sweet! Looks like it will be a fun trail to ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't have a wide lens, I've been stitching together carefully overlapped pics. Maybe a super wide lens would be easier but surely a lot more expensive. Next time I'm up there I'll do a pano from above the climbing area looking south. Is that what you're asking for?
    Yeah... With the M and Coors and town, that would look great. Great photo's, I live right below the west side of NTM and always wanted a photo of looking down on town w lookout in the background. Thanks....

mtbr member
    1. Start with back tire up against the gate at the bottom (tiny parking lot off 93). Go up just past the quarry to the faint double track to the right, faint single track to left. Puke as needed. I fully expect everyone to beat this time, just wondering by how much.

2. B!tch b!tch b!tch. This section of "trail" goes around the north side and is in pieces currently, awaiting looks like three "bridges" to be installed to go over some deep drainages. And when it's finished? Yet more for us to ride.

3. After today's rain it should be running even more. Timing is everything with that waterfall. If the trails are still too soupy you're not going to be riding up there to see it at its peak, if you wait too long the trails are dry and the amount of water going to it is miniscule. When I took these pics the trails were sort of muddy in spots and real damp most everywhere else. I'd never seen it running this full. What a treat.
    Pretty dumb question, but where is the small parking lot off 93? Any route you suggest on North Table? I live in Golden and have yet to bike up there. Any info. would be appreciated, thanks.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro
    Pretty dumb question, but where is the small parking lot off 93? Any route you suggest on North Table? I live in Golden and have yet to bike up there. Any info. would be appreciated, thanks.
    It's not really a parking lot, yet. Across from Golden Storage. Park in front of the gate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    It's not really a parking lot, yet. Across from Golden Storage. Park in front of the gate.
    Thanks. Cool pics on your website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks. Cool pics on your website.
    As far as a route up there, it's pretty much freeform. Not that you go off track (the cactus is murder) but there are a bunch of trails that go all over the place. Best bet is just to find a trail, either single or double track, and ride it to the end. I did that last summer and I think I rode every conceivable trail. Pretty soon you'll discover what trail can be linked to what trail.

Right now, of course, all the greenery has grown up so high it might obscure some tracks that are actually rideable...but that's part of the fun! Hit it while it's still green and the temps aren't in the high 90s. It's all exposed riding up there. I treat it more like a spring/fall ride or if I'm going there in the summer I'm off the top by 8 am.

And take a spare tube or two. Even if you ride tubeless.

mtbr member
    As far as a route up there, it's pretty much freeform. Not that you go off track (the cactus is murder) but there are a bunch of trails that go all over the place. Best bet is just to find a trail, either single or double track, and ride it to the end. I did that last summer and I think I rode every conceivable trail. Pretty soon you'll discover what trail can be linked to what trail.

Right now, of course, all the greenery has grown up so high it might obscure some tracks that are actually rideable...but that's part of the fun! Hit it while it's still green and the temps aren't in the high 90s. It's all exposed riding up there. I treat it more like a spring/fall ride or if I'm going there in the summer I'm off the top by 8 am.

And take a spare tube or two. Even if you ride tubeless.
    Thanks, sounds a lot like it's south table brethren. I'll do some exploring with 100oz's of water and 2 tubes. Will be interesting to see how trail development is going.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks, sounds a lot like it's south table brethren. I'll do some exploring with 100oz's of water and 2 tubes. Will be interesting to see how trail development is going.
    Looks like we're both at our computers. The new trail is being cut around the base of NTM, in stages. That's all cool but it's totally separate from what's up on top. In fact, I believe Jeffcos position about trails on top is "less is more". There's raptor nesting areas they want to protect which precludes cutting in more trail in the northeast area and, raptors or not, it doesn't seem like they're keen on more trails up there period.

I could draw up a proposed trail system for up top that would connect multiple areas, but I'm not Jeffco and I don't think anyone's gonna sway their position for new trails up there. As it is, I'm just happy as heck there is what there is.

Riding up on top of NTM is more a state of mind than hammering. It's not for everybody. That's why it's pretty empty of riders which suits me just fine. And the hikers are all friendly. I look over across 93 at White Ranch and it's a whole 'nother ball game over there.

mtbr member
    May 2009

I ride NTM at least 3x per week because it's so close to my house.

I'm lucky enough to work from home and go up there during lunch on weekdays.

I'll look for you some time. I'm riding a blue Titus Moto-Lite. I usually park at the trail head on W58th and head up the east route with the nasty 20%+ grade.

Have you seen "Thong Man" up there? That's a sight----middle-aged guy running in nothing but a thong. Couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw him.

Be happy if you've not seen him. He's elusive--kinda like a Yeti.

Here are some of my photos...

Saw this guy up there frequently last summer. Always in roughly the same spot (west service road).

The last time I saw him was in Sept after some idiot decided to bash his head in

The deer herd

The waterfall earlier this year before the water started flowing
    Last edited by rocco1109; 06-22-2009 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco1109
    I'm lucky enough to work from home and go up there during lunch on weekdays.

I'll look for you some time. I'm riding a blue Titus Moto-Lite. I usually park at the trail head on W58th and head up the east route with the nasty 20%+ grade.

Have you seen "Thong Man" up there? That's a sight----middle-aged guy running in nothing but a thong. Couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw him.

Be happy if you've not seen him. He's elusive--kinda like a Yeti.

Here are some of my photos...

Saw this guy up there frequently last summer. Always in roughly the same spot (west service road).

The last time I saw him was in Sept after some idiot decided to bash his head in

The deer herd

The waterfall earlier this year before the water started flowing
    Old dude in thong + rattlers = no wonder nobody rides up there. Naw, I plan on checking it out after work soon. Dumped buckets of rain over here near green mtn. Keep the green alive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I like horses...but they're so big! Even when they're just shifting their position a little they would knock me aside.
    You're supposed to yield.

Msurk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by msurk
    You're supposed to yield.

Msurk
    Fixed it for ya.