Thread: NTM Carnage

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well NTM Carnage

Had to go scout NTM yesterday to see how things fared. surprisingly, the main gravel road ascent was already repaired by Jeffco, was open, and rideable. Once at the top however...things started to deteriorate.

The old Quarry is now a nice new pond
    NTM Carnage-photo-1.jpg
    some of the Mesa top trails are eroded, but overall not too bad
    NTM Carnage-photo-2.jpg
    lakes are full and overflowing the trails in a few cases
    NTM Carnage-photo-3.jpg
    NTM Carnage-photo-4.jpg
    streams and waterfalls flowing like they do in late spring

NTM Carnage-photo-5.jpg
    NTM Carnage-photo-4a.jpg

Then, the CARNAGE. As you approach the waterfall basin for the most technical section on NTM, the "rockyroad" decent as Strava likes to call it, a HUGE cavern has completely decimated this whole section, making it completely impassable.
    NTM Carnage-photo-1a.jpg
    These meager little 8.5 x 11 paper Jeffco signs state "trail closed", in case you missed the FIFTEEN foot deep and 10 ft. wide cavern now crossing the trail.
    NTM Carnage-photo-2a.jpg

the sign probably stands 3 ft. high, so you can gauge how deep the new canyon is. I sat a looked at it for a while wondering how on earth Jeffco or Golden could possibly repair and reconnect this section. without a major bridge like those added up top last year, I can't imagine any equipment that could get in there to fill it in. There's probably a chance it will be full re-route and closed permanently.
    NTM Carnage-photo-3a.jpg

I then turned around and sulked home, I hate to go see how some of the other areas, cottonwood canyon and teh perimeter loops fared. I guess we should be happy there are a few trails left. and given how well Golden fared in the storm, we are all super lucky we have what we do have. shouts out to Boulder, Lyons, Ft. Collins, etc.

(this thumbnail won't go away...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NTM Carnage-photo-5a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yikes. The amount of fill it would take is mind-boggling. Plus the repairing of it correctly to forestall this happening in the future.

And, most important: the fact that this repair is probably last on Jeffco's list of repairs while they deal with county wide carnage.

You and I can picture some sort of temp bridge long enough to span this but...priorities.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Maybe a bridge across that scar is the solution. That trail has been eroding all summer long and it was only a matter of time before a big storm washed the trail away. Never thought it would look like that! There was a 100 yard or so mudslide on the north face of NTM that looks like a mini avalanche. No where near any trails, but very cool looking.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmalling View Post
    There was a 100 yard or so mudslide on the north face of NTM that looks like a mini avalanche. No where near any trails, but very cool looking.
    Once people start making their way back out, if they look up at the Mesa Spur and NTLoop intersection, look up and you should be able to see the mudslide.
    Last edited by bad_andy; 09-14-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: clarification for reading impaired ss riding geeky boy
    Old Codger

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    Once people start making their way back out, if they look up at the Mesa Spur and NTLoop intersection, look up and you should be able to see this.
    ahhh what are we looking at you senile old fart? Did you forget to post a picture.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    ahhh what are we looking at you senile old fart? Did you forget to post a picture.....
    "see this" -> "this", meaning the mudslide rmalling, my brah is talking about (thus the quote of his post).
    Not a pic. Tried to take one the 1st time we could see it but not enough light. Won't be around there in daylight again till Monday
    You SS riding geeky boy.
    Old Codger

650b me
    Thanks for the report, Tin Cup. NTM is in my backyard, so I have been very curious how it fared. I know other places have it worse, but what a bummer. Reminds me of the old IMBA poster showing a rider kitted out, playing shuffleboard with some old fart, looking bummed. The caption read: "What would we do without trails?" (something like that)

Indeed...without trails, our fancy bikes aren't worth much. It's going to take a lot of time and effort to restore our Front Range trails. I lived in Ft Collins in the late 90's when the big flood there decimated Horsetooth Mtn. Sucked. We all need to step up and help with the rebuilding effort.

mtbr member
    Mandatory gap air!

I was like, that waterfall looked cool! Then, the gap air... I hope no houses were harmed in the making of that new "feature"!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    "see this" -> "this", meaning the mudslide rmalling, my brah is talking about (thus the quote of his post).
    Not a pic. Tried to take one the 1st time we could see it but not enough light. Won't be around there in daylight again till Monday
    You SS riding geeky boy.
    Ahhh fine. Be that way. Im picking up what your putting down now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    WOW!!! This is crazy!

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nature and geology in action. We humans and our toys are pretty puny, especially when Mom Nature is in a grump mood.

I'm thinking of all the things I could do to help all those effected and I have to admit, trails - as much as I love them - aren't at the top of the list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Nature and geology in action. We humans and our toys are pretty puny, especially when Mom Nature is in a grump mood.

I'm thinking of all the things I could do to help all those effected and I have to admit, trails - as much as I love them - aren't at the top of the list.
    ^^^^this.

The more news I watch, the more stories I hear, the less significant our little trail issues are. I'm thankful to have safe family, power, clean water and shelter. Heading up to volunteer in B-town or L-town this weekend... my next Strava PR can wait.