The 5th knuckle

Not real sure what to make of this bike

Not sure at all.

Introducing Cogburn Outdoors from Cogburn on Vimeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    for bears riding bicycles?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Better than this $hit:

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Better than this $hit:
    Very valid point made. Ride the crap out of that Cogburn.
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Motion activated
    Looks like it's a fat bike.

So when you tag that 700 lb elk, how do you get it back to the truck?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Candlestick Maker
    Neat...not sure it is a great deal at $2200, but I like the idea.

Cogburn Outdoors
    baker

mtbr member
    I like it!

Motion activated
    If you turn it into a single speed, do you only get to carry one arrow?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's a fatbike with camoflage. For fat bears.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    Thats exactly what I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Better than this $hit:
    Why is it better than "this $hit"?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Why is it better than "this $hit"?
    Have you ever seen where a dumb arsed texan goes bush whacking with one of those mini-jeeps? A foot and a half section of knocked down shrub and a couple 3" tire marks versus five feet and four big tire ruts... bike all the way.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    ...So when you tag that 700 lb elk, how do you get it back to the truck?

Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    Thats exactly what I was thinking.
    Yep. I'm getting ready to go hunt Saturday. For the last month and a half or so I've been throwing my spare time at scouting and strategy. So this is long.

Obviously I'm a bikey. So I've thought about whether I could use some of my bike equipment, like my bob trailer, to help me out during my hunt. Spoiler: the answer is no.

The way it goes: on opening days the roads, and any motorized trail wide enough for a 4-wheeler will be buzzing with traffic. A few people hunt off a 2-wheel moto, but it's certainly not mainstream. Mostly it's pickup trucks, 4-wheelers, and those golf carts with knobby tires all the hillbillies seem to be getting these days.

So you can play the game that way. Sit on your lazy butt and roll all around in your 4x4 or ATV stopping occasionally to use binoculars to see if there's any critters you can see. Best case for those folks is they just luck out and drive up to a decent shot. More likely, if they see animals at all they are out of earshot. Which means they have maybe a 400-800 yard shot. A really good marksman can make that work, but the risk of wounding an animal that you never recover is relatively high.

This strategy is utterly pointless for archery hunters.

Or you can do the full outfitter thing. You pay thousands for an outfitter to haul your lazy butt up into the hills on a horse, feed you franks and beans in a canvas tent, then take you to someplace where you have a 100-200 yard shot at a tropy bull that's just standing there (perhaps they have drugged this animal for you to make him stand still). Anybody who can't make a shot that close with a high-power rifle has no business even buying a permit. (perhaps you already own horses and all that--but in that case you aren't reading this).

Or, you can go to work. You will get as far away from the motors as possible. Non-motorized trails and/or bushwacking. You will be best advised to go someplace that's practical to get hundreds of pounds of meat back to your truck without anything but your back. So it better have a route down that's not so steep and/or rugged that you can't safely get down carrying 75+ lbs on your back. Several times. Wilderness Areas are probably best, but it can only be so rugged. And you'll be likely competing with outfitters in big W Wilderness.

Bike? Well, first off I can't see how a fat bike would be any more useful than a normal mountain bike, unless you're hunting something that hangs around in deep snow. Elk and deer don't. Snow drives them down. Or maybe you're hunting something that lives on the beach?

Could you ride a bike up faster and more quietly than you can walk? Only if the trail is good enough, with a gentle enough rise. Especially since you'll be pulling a trailer to make it worthwhile. Bushwhacking is obviously out. Also, the whole time you're riding, you're not ready to take a shot. When you're hiking in to hunt, you're hunting. Got your rifle in your arms or on a sling on your back. If you're riding and you see animals you have to dismount, get your rifle (or bow) ready, and take a shot. Silent? Hopefully.

So you've got your bike and trailer, and you kill something. You can likely put more weight on a combination of your trailer and your back than just your back, but how's the riding going to be? If it's anything more technical than a sidewalk, being a vehicle that weighs over 300 lbs is going to be a little awkward. Any of you ever descended with a really heavily loaded BOB? It can be a little thrilling when you hit the brakes on a steep and that trailer starts pushing you. Faster than walking? Depends on the terrain, but probably a little. Chances are you'll just be walking the bike/trailer quite a bit. If not you're setting yourself up to crash. And then of course going back up to get subsequent loads is harder because you're hauling 50 lbs of bike and trailer with you.

Maybe someplace in the midwest where you really aren't climbing, you just want to roll past the cornfields a little more quickly, something like this would be potentially useful. But having it be all camo and purpose built for hunting? Why? Any mountain bike could have a rifle or bow scabbard mounted on it.

These days though you can put one of the modern commercial camo patterns on something and a billy-bob will come along and buy it. Case in point, I just mail-ordered some ammo the other day, and one of these came with it:

Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

The 5th knuckle
    I knew Tom would come in with a level head and practical approach. I used to be a big upland bird kind of guy and the big game guys rubbed me wrong. However, when they pay more for a bull and cow tag than I did for my shotgun and spend thousands of dollars in the local small towns I can handle it. For the three months they make a mess of everything it gets those towns through the next nine when I have them to myself.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    I knew Tom would come in with a level head and practical approach. I used to be a big upland bird kind of guy and the big game guys rubbed me wrong. However, when they pay more for a bull and cow tag than I did for my shotgun and spend thousands of dollars in the local small towns I can handle it. For the three months they make a mess of everything it gets those towns through the next nine when I have them to myself.
    When I used to hunt (deer/antelope/elk) we would hike in to hunt. Just like Tom stated, you have to plan how you're going to get back out of where you've gone into with a bunch of extra weight. If you used a bike to get in to where you're at it just seems like you just added an extra thing to deal with going back out rather than something to help you.

Team Velveeta™
    ... used to be a big upland bird kind of guy and the big game guys rubbed me wrong. However, when they pay more for a bull and cow tag than I did for my shotgun and spend thousands of dollars in the local small towns I can handle it. For the three months they make a mess of everything it gets those towns through the next nine when I have them to myself.
    The big game rifle hunters are definitely the knuckle-draggers of the hook and bullet world. Like anything, there are relatively sophisticated ones [makes gesture indicating self], but there are lots of total cretins out there. I get absolutely furious when I see where a 4-wheeler was driven cross-country so that some overweight non-Coloradan would be able to haul out his animal without breaking a sweat. And it's dangerous. Some of them will shoot whatever looks like it might be a deer or elk.

Bow hunting seems to be where all the skilled big animal hunters are going, in my observation.

Sadly, I don't think big game rifle hunters tend to put much $$ into the local small-town economies these days. They roll in, camper and ATVs, stop at a gas station maybe, stop at Wal-Mart and then they set up in the hills and start making noise. They might do one night in a motel, but the old days when lots of people booked motels and then hunted out of them seems gone. The ones who hire outfitters do for sure stimulate some aspect of the local economy. Out of state pays $586 for a bull tag, $351 for a cow tag. That helps the State Parks and Wildlife funding, but does nothing for the towns.

But the herds do need to be thinned. Lions keep the mule deer in check to the extent that they aren't exterminated, but unless we're going to bring back wolves the elk will need to be hunted to keep habitats healthy. There just aren't enough animals harvested during bow season. Gotta hold your nose and encourage those rifle folks to get out and hunt.

The 5th knuckle
    I haven't hunted in over ten years. Interesting change in the dynamics.

Team Velveeta™
    I haven't hunted in over ten years. Interesting change in the dynamics.
    The invention of the ATV is the single biggest influence (for the much worse IMO) in hunting and hunter culture of the last 150 years.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Not sure at all. Introducing Cogburn Outdoors from Cogburn on Vimeo.
    This one is more practical. They can talk and pedal at the same time.
    The only thing missing is a keg of beer in the middle. Think of the fun you could have kegging to the nearest town.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    Looks like it's a fat bike.

Drag it in the granny gear!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Motion activated
    Thanks for the insight TomP. I'm not a hunter myself (but I eat meat, so I have no beef with the concept, if you'll excuse the pun).

We get a herd of elk on our property a lot, especially this time of year. Sometimes they come up so close to the house, you could just about reach out the window and touch them. Of course there is no hunting allowed in the neighborhood, which is probably why the elk gather here

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    The only thing missing is a keg of beer in the middle. Think of the fun you could have kegging to the nearest town.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs