1 12.50%
  • Expand outside of NoCo!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Northern Colorado Trails Community Site

Hey MTBR Community,

I have recently gotten into mountain biking and the one thing I have noticed (or not found) is a central place for trail information for northern Colorado. Each land owner has their own site/range of information and each personal blog has its own range of information on only a few trails. It appears to me that a community contributed site (think wiki) with an organized methodology for trails descriptions could be very beneficial to everyone.

Right now I am just looking for some feedback on the idea (already done, not needed, different direction, perfect, etc.). I am also looking to see if anyone would be interested in being a contributor to such a site.

The idea is mainly focusing on northern Colorado right now because the goal is to have complete (as much as possible) list, so the scale needs to be small. Another reason being that I live in the area (Fort Collins). Expanding the idea to more of Colorado or beyond would be possible, with support.

I am interested in your feedback, thanks!

-Brandon

*On a tangent, help on the IT side would be great too (ie most of my programming skills has to do with scientific computing...).
    Last edited by felisen; 07-18-2011 at 01:36 PM.

slow
    You might take a look at this and see if it is what you are looking for:
    http://netcairns.com/wiki/index.php?title=NetCairns

It has been dormant for a while, but might be able to be jump started.

A couple of other resources that might be good places to check before expending too much energy are:
    http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/trails.php

and

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...s_5844crx.aspx

Team Velveeta™

juicytrails

Quote Originally Posted by felisen View Post
    ...Right now I am just looking for some feedback on the idea (already done, not needed, different direction, perfect, etc.)...
    There are quite a few trails sites out there. Some like trails.com, want you to be a member meaning you are supposed to give them some data and an email address which could attract spam or whatever, but we all do that all the time anyway. I've never contributed any info to them, so I don't know what that's like.

I can't tell you why I don't really like trails.com, but I don't.

A friend of mine, who formerly ran a site called JuicyFruita.com which was pretty much focused on Fruita/GJ stuff started a new site called JuicyTrails.com. I think it's pretty cool because is focused around GPX data. You can plop a GPX file into your trail description, and it becomes a map, a profile, and is downloadable as just a GPX.

Contributing is easy. Free. Just plain makes you feel good.

Disclaimer: I think Derrick is a cool guy. But he doesn't pay me to say that.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There's also this site... which I used quite a bit back in the day, but it doesn't look updated either.

http://www.comtb.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the quick replies already!

Sgltrak,

Those were helpful links! I had come across the last two, but not the first, I will look into that some more.

TomP,

Juicy Trails looks interesting (although I think it is .org? not .com). I really like you statement about contributing.

jmvdigital,

That site is kind of what I was thinking of (I believe I came across it before also).

All,

Those are all great sites and I have used some of them before. The downside to some of them (trails, singletrack) is that they require a user login for most feature, but like TomP said, we do that all the time; but they also require money to access all of the features.

The idea I have in my head (which may just be fantasy) is a mix between sites like trails/singletrack, netcairns, and personal blogs. It would be a site that doesn't require an admin to post information and each trail would have more information than a brief description and a rating (more like what you would get from a blog). Basically a community blog...

And I do agree that there are already a lot of sites on the web, which makes it hard to justify another.

Keep it coming!

!Vamos, flaco!
    Felisen, it sounds like you're about to learn about how protective many mountain bikers (including myself, at times) are of their favorite and less known trails. This will probably be one of the bigger impediments to your project.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Team Velveeta™

the voice of experience

...Those are all great sites and I have used some of them before. The downside to some of them (trails, singletrack) is that they require a user login for most feature, but like TomP said, we do that all the time; but they also require money to access all of the features...
    Well, not true of JuicyTrails. I think Derrick plans to someday maybe charge if you want a printed map, but I don't think you need to do much to use the info. Maybe I misunderstand his site, but it seems to be totally free and totally anonymous to me.

Here's the reason for my reply though. I've been building web applications since 1995. In my small window of experience, I would offer this observation: building a site from scratch is time-consuming, costly, and often frustrating. There are three reasons to do it:

1. It is going to make you rich (example: Zuckerberg)
    2. You think it would be useful, and there is nothing out there that is similar enough to what you need that would work.
    3. You just really want to.

You're looking at #3 I think.

Just sayin'
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

ride
    There are a lot of good maps out there. Sounds like it's time to start getting lost and exploring. The answer is not always on the computer.

Edit - most of those websites are about equally poor. They are greatfor getting your feet wet but thats it in my opinion. The proofs in the ride itself.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    The answer is not always on the computer.
    But it's sooo much easier...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

JeffcoHo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    Felisen, it sounds like you're about to learn about how protective many mountain bikers (including myself, at times) are of their favorite and less known trails. This will probably be one of the bigger impediments to your project.
    The transition from "Hey, I am new and why isn't there a central place to find all the trails?" to "Oh man, there is no way I am telling any one about how sweet Candy Mountain is." happens pretty fast.

Hook up with your local biking club up there in Fort Colins. http://www.overlandmtb.org/
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Haha well after everyone's response I think I will not try and push forward with a community site. Although, I may create a simple blog to help combine the many different sources (many of which you guys linked) for other newbies (and myself as I still learn the area). I will let you all know if I do.

Thanks again for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffcoHo View Post
    Hook up with your local biking club up there in Fort Colins.
    I have come across their site and I am tempted to go on one of their Wednesday rides. Do you have any comments about them?

slow
    I have come across their site and I am tempted to go on one of their Wednesday rides. Do you have any comments about them?
    Fantastic bunch of people who do a ton for our local trails and riding community. Due to family obligations and scheduling, I have not participated in the Wednesday rides, but have encountered them on the trail and they seem like they are having fun. Several friends belong and ride with them and say the Wednesday rides are a good time. They break into groups based on riding level so everyone has a good time.

For other ways to locate riding partners and trails, keep an eye on this board for rides. Also, check out some of the local Fort Collins groups at www.velocal.org and if you are a morning person, have a look at http://450club.com/ , the group that rides Horsetooth Mountain Park each weekday morning at 4:50 am. Per the e-mail distribution, at least 4 of them will be there tomorrow at 4:50am.

Though somewhat less formal than Overland, these guys are a good group, as well:
    http://www.facebook.com/NoCoMTB

A few other resources are here:
    http://sgltrak.wordpress.com/2010/01...hern-colorado/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'll throw the NoCO MTB group in there as well. We started out on Meetup and moved over to Facebook recently. We also do a Wednesday ride that sometime coincides with Overland and ends at the Canyon Grill for beer and tacos. There's other random rides here and there as well, with 180+ members. Always looking for more admins to help organize rides and get newbies involved in the group.

https://www.facebook.com/NoCoMTB

Not just famous; infamous
    There are lots of great groups out there, check 'em out. Meeting new folks to ride with is always a good time. Seems like people have already posted a good list to start with.

If you're thinking about building your own site, be ready to spend a lot of time on it. I've been working on something similar in what little spare time I have. It's still in its infancy, and not just for Northern CO. trailscout.org

I've got some bugs to work out and want to redesign some things, but eventually it may be helpful to people. It's cool to start your own site, but seems to eat up a lot of time and energy. It's definitely a labor of love.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    There are a lot of good maps out there. Sounds like it's time to start getting lost and exploring. The answer is not always on the computer.

Edit - most of those websites are about equally poor. They are greatfor getting your feet wet but thats it in my opinion. The proofs in the ride itself.
    your shop is getting all of my dollas when i need parts from now on