mtbr member
    Apr 2004

North Table Mountain Retrospective

I don't even know what trails are open up there anymore, been a long time since I've been. At one time probably a lot of the stuff I rode while 'sploring was destined to be "closed" or wasn't open anyway.

One summer I checked out every possible spur from every possible direction. Faint trail? I was on it till it petered out to nothing. It was surprising how many places a guy could ride if the cactus cooperated.

Now, who knows? Maybe you won't recognize any of the pics I'm putting here. I've got shots on tiny faint trails on the north side, east side, south side and all points in-between. Glad I did all that when it was "legal".
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had to fire up an older computer and search for these pics. This was when I was a point and shoot guy, just give me a camera small enough to hang on my belt. Talk about walking down memory lane here. I was riding then.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sometimes the trail would just vanish and I'd hike-a-bike over to where I knew there was a trail. We all discussed on this forum about getting the "powers that be" to cut in MORE trails to make multiple loops possible. Then they actually closed most of them. Progress.

mtbr member
    So a lot of that is off limits now? I've seen work being done over there, never had a chance to check it out. Are there still trails to ride, or is it more of a waste of time?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog
    So a lot of that is off limits now? I've seen work being done over there, never had a chance to check it out. Are there still trails to ride, or is it more of a waste of time?
    Others are going to have to answer that. I don't know what's rideable, if the trails they "closed" are closed to everyone or just bikers. When I was riding up there a guy could spend hours 'sloring and no "closed" signs to be seen.

If nothing else you can do intervals up and down the service road, that'll get your heart pumping. Where "rideable" trails go from the quarry, heck I just don't know now.

Like, can you ride over to the top of that climbing area? Can you ride across and down past the waterfalls? Beats me. I used to put pics like this up here to advertise the cool stuff up there, this thread is just like a family album of pics from past rides, never to be taken again from a bike.

mtbr member
    Pretty much every picture is closed now aside from the pics of the double track....and I rarely saw anyone up there now it is busy and less options to ride. I still ride up there, but there is some really nice trail that is now closed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I found some more on another computer

I envisioned one loop being taking the singletrack right across from the quarry (heading north), over the tiny rocky set of hills then heading toward the raptor nesting area on the east/northeast area. Then due south along that rim over to the double track that goes down to the waterfalls.

I saw other loopage going right at the quarry (heading south) over to the top of the rock climbing area then basically north/northeast somehow back over to that same double track going to the falls. My pics show really faint trails that I rode/portaged that actually did those loops but it's only a memory now.

Guess I'll have to get up there and walk around to see for myself what's open.

mtbr member
    Great photos, thank you for sharing. I recognized a few of the singletrack photos are still open, those leading down the east side, but most of the rest up top are closed except for the doubletracks.

650b me
    Yes, thanks for the photos. I've lived near NTM for 12 years now, but just moved onto the east flank in January. Nice to see green plants and water in your photos. Not sure what we're gonna see this year.

More singletrack would sure be nice. I still don't see why they closed the trail that skirted the rocky outcropping on the northwest. I got excited when I saw Schnauzer's post about a new trail, then I read it....what a joke. C'mon, Jeffco, build some REAL trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Move along folks, nothing to see here.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well NTM dog park

Quote Originally Posted by Ntmboy
    Move along folks, nothing to see here.
    sadly, you're right...

here's the official map; i highlighted the actual mesa top... you'll see that there's almost nothing left to ride once you crest-- especially during seasonal closure of the rim rock trail to the NE. no loops up top. mesa top trail is a rutted cluster mess of quadruple track. tilting mesa is 6' wide.

so sad what became of this hidden gem. i don't see the logic in building more parking lots and encouraging way more traffic, then closing most of the trails.

long live the raptors and the (influential) equestrians i suppose.

North Table Mountain Retrospective-ntm.jpg
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I took your map, gotdirt, and scribbled on it in Paint showing "what used to be".

OK, kids, this is what I could ride/portage not that long ago (most of my pics were from summer of 2009):

Red line--trail used to skirt west side and up over rocky hills (great place to lose a month's worth of skin per endo)

Purple line--through lovely short to tall grass over to NE raptor area, then faint trail (one I thought would eventually be cut in) over to double track

W--waterfalls

Yellow White line--access from east side--very cool canyon

Blue line--over to the Golden overlook and top of climbing area

My pics show all of these trails. And many more faint game trails that had potential at one time.