Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    650b me

North Table Mountain Park Trailhead

Direct from JCOS:

Jefferson County Open Space will open the parking area to public use at North Table Mountain Park from Highway 93 north of Golden on Monday, June 21. Visitors will encounter areas of construction for the permanent restroom, kiosk and screening berm on the south end of the parking area and a trail bypass will connect the parking area to the formal, designated trails. The temporary kiosk will provide information about North Table Mountain Park and park brochures will also be available. Open Space encourages visitors to use and replace the brochures at the end of their visit. A park dedication event has not been scheduled at this time.

Staff has placed signs within the park that identify designated trails, sensitive areas, seasonal closure areas and areas closed for restoration. Visitors are reminded to stay on designated trails to protect habitat, minimize resource damage, allow for restoration, and reduce the opportunity for weeds to take hold in disturbed areas. Trails crews will continue to improve treads, realign segments of old roads and construct new trails as part of the designated trail system over the next few years.

For information on the Park Management Plan for North Table Mountain Park or other Open Space properties see the Web site, or call the Open Space office at 303-271-5925.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I remember riding up that service road (up from 93) before it was even re-worked, years ago. Now that was a sketchy grind. I had driven past it wondering "is that a road, where's it go". The next year they threw down a ton of road base to make it a nice smooth gut buster.

Now permanent bathrooms.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I remember riding up that service road (up from 93) before it was even re-worked, years ago. Now that was a sketchy grind. I had driven past it wondering "is that a road, where's it go". The next year they threw down a ton of road base to make it a nice smooth gut buster.

Now permanent bathrooms.

*sigh*

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Now permanent bathrooms.

I had the exact thought. The bathrooms are the kiss of death for a trail. White Ranch, Walker Ranch, Marshall Mesa....

I remember the east parking for White Ranch when there was a gun club there and no houses at the bottom whatsoever. Walker before there was even a parking area on the Flagstaff side and the Crescent Meadows side had a cool old homestead with an abandoned Chevy and a totally different trail alignment. Marshall Mesa when it was just a sketch trail coming down from the ditch road, and you could ride it and not see anyone. Where the Marshall Mesa parking area is now was a liquor store and a restaurant.

I also used to ride the Coalton "Trail" by Rock Creek when it was still Coalton Road and there was no Rock Creek. Of all the changes in the Boulder area in the 22 years since I moved here, the whole Rock Creek/Flatirons/Interlocken expansion thing still blows my mind. It was wide open except for a few houses and a gun club from McCaslin almost to Wadsworth. Of course, to the south you had at one point 8000 people working at Rocky Flats. It is still a little disconcerting to look across there and not see any buildings. Same goes for where StorageTek used to be along 36. There were 10,000 people working there at the peak.

Of course, I've only been here 22 years. I know a lot of people who have lived here 40-50 years, and they, of course, have better stories like Boulder being a dry town(!!!) full of rednecks, and paying tolls on the Turnpike. One guy I know grew up on the south end of Boulder and he said they used to ride their Honda Mini-Trail dirt bikes from Boulder to Louisville on trails through what is now open space.

Of course, things are better now. We have suspension and bathrooms.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I remember the days when the stretch between Broomfield and Boulder was beautiful rolling hills. Now we have malls, office buildings and gridlock traffic. Oh well, at least they haven't developed the top of NTM, yet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    I remember the days when the stretch between Broomfield and Boulder was beautiful rolling hills. Now we have malls, office buildings and gridlock traffic. Oh well, at least they haven't developed the top of NTM, yet!

I read once that the top of NTM was an airstrip used for training pilots during WWII.....I can't find the reference now though.

mtbr member
    I rode NTM for the first time yesterday. Nice ride. I ran in to a biker there who told me the parking area was new (where did you park before?), and also new are all the logs and signs blocking 90% of the trails according to him.
    Well, he seemed upset about it and got me to agree that it was a shame that people couldn't use those trails any more, which would only make the remaining trails more crowded.
    Well I went to the web site today and the assessment of how much wildlife lives there, and saw a photo of how all the shortcutting on the mountain really cut up the land and it seems reasonable to me to try and restore some of that as it would effect wildlife.
    All the white lines on the photo are short cuts.
    More trails would be great, but I understand the need for managing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North Table Mountain Park Trailhead-shortcutting.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Well I went to the web site today and the assessment of how much wildlife lives there, and saw a photo of how all the shortcutting on the mountain really cut up the land and it seems reasonable to me to try and restore some of that as it would effect wildlife.
    Just playing the devil's advocate here, but don't most forms of "wildlife" create and use trails of some sort as a means of migration. How exactly does a trail harm wildlife? Heavy traffic on a trail may frighten some wildlife I suppose, but probably not a real significant impact. I imagine the wildlife in this area is relatively used to human inhabitance. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I never thought of any trail I rode up there as a "short cut". It went from somewhere to somewhere. If anything I had a few choice "short cuts" that were needed to finish a well rounded set of trails. Now...
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flOw dOwn
    Just playing the devil's advocate here, but don't most forms of "wildlife" create and use trails of some sort as a means of migration. How exactly does a trail harm wildlife? Heavy traffic on a trail may frighten some wildlife I suppose, but probably not a real significant impact. I imagine the wildlife in this area is relatively used to human inhabitance. Just a thought.
    Yes, I was thinking about that too, and I'm no ecobrainiac or anything, but I think all those trails cutting through the grass might be just fine for deer, but not for bird nesting, rodents, reptiles etc.

mtbr member
    I never thought of any trail I rode up there as a "short cut". It went from somewhere to somewhere. If anything I had a few choice "short cuts" that were needed to finish a well rounded set of trails. Now...
    I admit some of those blocked trails I saw looked like they would be fun, and it seems that some at least could have been left open. But looking at the photo it does look a bit excessive, with some of those trails basically just paralleling others, etc.

And I suppose that different rules apply depending on how the ecosystem is viewed in the area. Apparantly the ecosystem on NTM is kind of delicate.

But on the web site it does say that there are plans for new trails in the future. It also says that some of the closed sensitive areas are seasonal closures I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Is the gravel service road still the only way to the top?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iMMature
    Is the gravel service road still the only way to the top?
    There are 3 ways up to the top - more if you count trails that would be hiking trails.

mtbr member
    Whatever jeffco blew it some of the trails left are unsustainable compared to trails that were closed that required no maintenance. I know this is a dead issue, bur jeffco f'd up on this one. They can try and justify it however they want but it will never make any sense to me. Hard to have an opinion when you never road there prior to the closures. Some of the trails were not sustainable, but at least 80 percent were.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    Whatever jeffco blew it some of the trails left are unsustainable compared to trails that were closed that required no maintenance. I know this is a dead issue, bur jeffco f'd up on this one. They can try and justify it however they want but it will never make any sense to me. Hard to have an opinion when you never road there prior to the closures. Some of the trails were not sustainable, but at least 80 percent were.

I agree 100%. It's a shameful disaster. Not only did they close sustainable trails, they put signs every 10 feet on every trail, put logs everywhere, even where there were game trails (not even hike-able), and drove their trucks on every remaining piece of dirt road leaving ruts a foot deep. I'm sorry, but this is NOT a viable management plan. It looks more like the greenies wanted it shut down and this was the compromise. It's really sad and unfortunately, there are not enough people who really care about NTM to give a f*ck. I blame a certain person and his advocates of morons for this. And now he'll be wreaking havoc upon us from an even more powerful position. Watch out for Plan JeffCo folks, the wrecking ball cometh.

But, I still try and see some beauty in what's left. *sigh*

1. Reach for the sun.
    2. Are you single or just an illusion?
    3. Alas poor NTM, I knew him well.
    4. Skirts? No, one was a dude in a kilt.
    5. This sucks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North Table Mountain Park Trailhead-p1010131.jpg  

North Table Mountain Park Trailhead-p1010135.jpg  

North Table Mountain Park Trailhead-p1010140.jpg  

North Table Mountain Park Trailhead-p1010143.jpg  

North Table Mountain Park Trailhead-p1010144.jpg  

Sanitized4YourProtection
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    I blame a certain person
    <----- PM(S)?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Banner
    <----- PM(S)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, to all of you who never rode up there till now, after this debacle, I want to gloat and say that last spring/ early summer I made a point to ride every possible track up there and to get up on top from every possible angle.

Some tracks started out real faint but stayed rideable, others disappeared into a sea of cactus but sure looked like they could benefit from a little trailwork to continue them (and that would have been a good thing).

Yeah, these tracks were all over but they were there for a purpose, whether it be game trails or citizen trails that were made for good reasons. I would envision a whole network up there so's we could ride loops hither and yon.

I don't think I even want to go up there again to see what it's become. Maybe hiking it won't seem so onerous.

mtbr member
    Nice pics!

Yappy little dog!

I don't think I even want to go up there again to see what it's become. Maybe hiking it won't seem so onerous.
    Except that hikers are not allowed off trail either. That's why there are "trails closed" signs, everywhere! It wasn't exactly the prettiest trails before and now it's sign happy ugly. It's sensitive area now. Even with the rusty polls sticking out of the ground all over the place. I had to remind a few hikers yesterday that they shouldn't be off trail. They wanted to sit at the southeastern edge of the mesa. Nope.

mtbr member
    Nice pics; I do still ride up there and enjoy it, but it is sad. I have noticed the vehicle damage as well and was thinking the same thing earlier in the week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Except that hikers are not allowed off trail either. That's why there are "trails closed" signs, everywhere! It wasn't exactly the prettiest trails before and now it's sign happy ugly. It's sensitive area now. Even with the rusty polls sticking out of the ground all over the place. I had to remind a few hikers yesterday that they shouldn't be off trail. They wanted to sit at the southeastern edge of the mesa. Nope.
    Someday, when I get around to it, I'll post up a retrospective of all the trails I took pics of. Walking down memory lane.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I don't think it's an issue of the trails being sustainable or not as much as what trails bring, people with dogs.

Dogs are natural predators to most animals and do not stay on the trail. So animals such as ground nesting birds and deer, who would normally not be affected by people on a trail, suddenly have something to worry about.

BTW, It was very interesting last week at Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Dogs and horses are not allowed in the park, and during the women's Pro race there was both a black bear and mountain lion seen on the course.... even with all the noise.

And even though this park has some of the poorest soil around for trail building, the trails remain in great condition from lack of equestrian usage. i.e soil compaction and increased erosion.

If I didn't have to drive to get there, plus pay $6 to get in, I would ride it more often.

IMHO if people were really serious about preserving wildlife the first thing to go would be the dogs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    I don't think it's an issue of the trails being sustainable or not as much as what trails bring, people with dogs.

Dogs are natural predators to most animals and do not stay on the trail. So animals such as ground nesting birds and deer, who would normally not be affected by people on a trail, suddenly have something to worry about.

IMHO if people were really serious about preserving wildlife the first thing to go would be the dogs.
    This is absolutely retarded. There are so many arguments against your "point" here, that it isn't even worth listing.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a reasonable point to me. Some sensitive areas don't allow dogs, like Roxborough, But, then a gain, they don't allow bikes either.
    I guess the thing I'm wondering about, is why NTM is so sensitive. It looks like a pretty boring run of the mill hill to me. A good candidate for some trails. Preserve the hill next to it. If a contractor wanted to build some tract homes on a similar hill, the controversy would be much less it seems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast