Rolling

North Boulder Trails CLOSED

The trails East of 36 are closed until further notice. Not due to mud, but do to a crazy plane accident. I would have been there during the exact time, but my knee bothered me during a run at noon and delayed my ride. By the time I got to the area on my bike, they had the parking lots taped off.

It's a bizarre and sad accident involving two planes and a glider. There were several fatalities and debris scattered everywhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That was freaky. I was driving north on Highway 93, coming down the big hill approaching Marshall Road, and I saw a flash, followed by stuff falling with a trail of black smoke. My first thought was that I had just seen a plane blow up, but hell, that didn't make any sense because the debris was floating down really slowly. Then I thought it was some fireworks or something related to the CU basketball game.

Reports are saying a plane carrying four people hit the tow cable of a plane with just a pilot on board that had just released a glider. Both planes crashed, but the glider landed safely. The plane with four aboard had one of those new parachutes that are supposed to save lives in a plane crash, but the plane exploded on impact and all the parachute did was to lightly set down the burning shell of the plane.

I was at the Jeffco airport about ten years ago when that guy augered in doing stunts in his old military jet. Jeez.....What's up with me and airplanes?

RIP.
    Last edited by honkinunit; 02-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.

ride
    Daily Camera article.

http://ow.ly/14Ecn
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Shattering Glass
    I saw the emergency vehicles as I was approaching Lyons on the bike. I once had a plane crash 2 blocks from my house as soon as I walked in the door. Loudest pop I had ever heard followed by a mushroom cloud.. really gets the adrenaline flowing. 3 people died.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I've been up in a couple of the rental gliders... the composite German model they use for aerobatics and I think that same Schweizer that was getting the tow in this accident.

I remember the pilot complaining about all the small jets hot-dogging it in their air space because the FAA's speed limits are not altitude adjusted (10k feet is a lot closer to the ground in Boulder, CO than it is most other places). Obviously no jet or turbo-prop was involved in this accident.

Once the cable is dropped the tow plane turns sharply and accelerates to clear the cable out of the glider's path... It's hard to imagine but I guess the pilot of the Cirrus was too close and wasn't paying attention.

Rolling
    Update: These trails are closed till further notice. I tried to ride there today. The investigation is said to take around nine months but I hope the trails open sooner than that.

Photobucket

Closed trails in orangish.
    Photobucket
    Last edited by lidarman; 02-20-2010 at 06:18 PM.

trail waggler
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    The investigation is said to take around nine months.
    CSI Boulder, on the job...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!