i took the wheels home

NORBA Nationals e-mail from USA Cycling...

Anyone else get the memo that NORBA National Championships are not going to be held at Mammoth this summer because of a record 664 inches of snowfall this winter? Dang. They still have nearly 20 feet of snow.

I personally think they should move it to Colorado so I can attend both that and a wedding that weekend but anyone else have any better ideas?

Here's the email.

Colorado Springs, Colo. (May 2, 2006) - Due to massive snowfall on Mammoth Mountain this winter, USA Cycling will be relocating its 2006 Mountain Bike National Championships scheduled for July 20-23.

After a record 664 inches of snow fell this season, Mammoth Mountain has reported a base depth of nearly 20 feet as of May 1 - a figure that ultimately put the resort's ability to host a national championship-caliber event in jeopardy.

"Looking at our snowpack today, I can confidently say we are unable to host a mountain bike event to the quality we are all accustomed to,"commented Bill Cockroft, senior vice president of operations at Mammoth Mountain. "It was a difficult decision, but ultimately we believe we owe it to the mountain bike community to make sure the event continues at the level and standards expected by USA Cycling."

USA Cycling is currently negotiating with several venues to replace Mammoth Mountain and a decision is expected to be announced shortly. We will send out an announcement email when a venue is finalized.

The dates of the 2006 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships will remain unchanged.

mtbr member
    I got that same email today. It would be so incredibly rad if they would choose somewhere closer to Colorado. I mean, it makes sense, nice and central where more of the US wouldn't have to travel as far.

My vote would be for Vail to step it up. That would be sick.

mtbr member
    I agree! Vail would be great, the usual e-speculation out for Durango, Angel Fire, Schweitzer, etc, but a race at Vail would just rock (as well as be shamelessly accessible to those of us in the 303.Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Durango, Angel Fire, Vail... Any of those places is fine with me.

mtbr member
    looks like still in CA
    http://www.cmclassic2.com/

mtbr member
    Still in CA, <700 vertical feet, same weekend as Snowmass. I'm glad the boys and are aren't dependent upon a national event to get to go anywhere... cause we're off to Snowmass. Scott

i took the wheels home
    This is one of the lamest things I could imagine USA Cycling doing. As the Doc says, Thank goodness we've got snowmass that weekend.

Even though the NORBA Series ends in Snowmass, USA Cycling should have gotten with Cycle Cyndicate and turned Blast the Mass into the Championships. Changing a pre-existing race for the event is that hard. It just so happens to be that getting out to Sonoma would be a big ol' pain in the rear end.