Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 158
  1. #1
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,102

    No, it wasn't lightning sir...

    Apparently some people take their jobs just a little too seriously...

    "Babcock said Hesterberg had repeatedly asked the ranger why he was being detained. She didn't answer him, Babcock said.


    "He just tried to walk away. She never gave him a reason," Babcock said.
    The ranger shot Hesterberg in the back with her shock weapon as he walked off, Babcock said.


    "We were like in disbelief," she said. "It didn't make any sense."
    Rancho Corral de Tierra has long been an off-leash walking spot for local dog owners.



    In December, the area became part of the national park system, which requires that all dogs be on a leash, Levitt said.


    The ranger was trying to educate residents of the rule, Levitt said."





  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,818
    Giving a false name is pretty GD stupid. If you're gonna break the rules at least man up. That being said, WTF? That ranger should never be allowed to carry any type of weapon again. Welcome to recreating outdoors, 2012.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MulletSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    55
    Welcome to the new AmeriKa.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20
    It's a dog off leash! Why not lie? See if you can push it up misdemeanors and felonies. It can be done (easily!)!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pete Otis Towns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    227
    I would use a fake name too, i got chased by the Wash Park dog police one time while riding with my dog off leash, we would have escaped too if it weren't for my dog getting too tired. I got a ticket in the name of Pete O Towns. Sorry officer no ID on me.
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

  6. #6
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,821
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Apparently some people take their jobs just a little too seriously...
    Maybe the dogs were "Occupying"

    There is no way you can spin this story to make the ranger look good

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    "Freeze! Put your hands where I can see them. Step away from the dog poo".
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  8. #8
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Funny stuff, but a ranger is a police officer, and it wasn't about educating a man about dogs off leash anymore... he was trying to leave the scene. What did he expect? I'm not sure being tazed was appropriate, but this is all on the guy disobeying the law and disobeying the ranger. He's an idiot, IMO.
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

  9. #9
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,036
    No real winner here...
    baker

  10. #10
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209

    maybe not as one-sided as it seems.

    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Funny stuff, but a ranger is a police officer, and it wasn't about educating a man about dogs off leash anymore... he was trying to leave the scene. What did he expect? I'm not sure being tazed was appropriate, but this is all on the guy disobeying the law and disobeying the ranger. He's an idiot, IMO.
    It's really hard to know what went on without having been there. The story is being related by one side.

    But davec's point resonates. Whether you are a highway patrol officer, park ranger, middle school teacher--taking crap once means being labeled as an authority figure who will roll over and take it again. In military academies and student teaching instruction good advice is: "don't take any crap".

    Cops of all kinds have a hard job, and our world would be a much worse place if they all were spineless goobers who let anything pass once the situation got uncomfortable. Sure, there are going to be some Barney Fifes any time you hand out badges. Keep in mind, Barney was a fearful, insecure dude and his unreasonable stances were the actions of an insecure person (yes, much of my understanding of the world is a product of many hours of situation comedy study).

    An authority figure who is confident and unwavering keeps situations under control. That's something that comes out of experience and understanding of people. Remember, Andy was a successful authority figure who didn't even carry a gun (again with the situation comedy wisdom).

    The fact that this ranger was a woman and the dude she tazed was a man is significant. Female authority figures tend to have it harder just because of gender roles.

    That said, there was a really funny/sad story from here in Mayberry (err, Salida) a couple summers ago about a code enforcement officer who ticketed two little girls for operating a lemonade stand without a permit. That made the Denver Post.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  11. #11
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Otis Towns View Post
    I would use a fake name too, i got chased by the Wash Park dog police one time while riding with my dog off leash, we would have escaped too if it weren't for my dog getting too tired. I got a ticket in the name of Pete O Towns. Sorry officer no ID on me.
    That's one reason why cops will escalate a situation to the level described. If you're going to play the civil disobedience angle, man up and take the consequences of your action and state your case. Lying and worming your way out of a ticket only ensures that in the future ante will be higher.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pete Otis Towns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    That's one reason why cops will escalate a situation to the level described. If you're going to play the civil disobedience angle, man up and take the consequences of your action and state your case. Lying and worming your way out of a ticket only ensures that in the future ante will be higher.
    There is no reason to escalate to tazing someone who is walking a dog off leash in the back as they walk away. If the Ranger couldn't handle the situation she should have called for back-up. And yes I weasled out of a ticket, do I feel bad? Not in the slightest. It was a Sunday morning about 6:30 am, and there was nobody in the park.

    We made a clean dash for it, they chased me clear accross the soccer field in their white van with yellow lights flashing. Man they were pissed when they caught me but no one was tazed.

    If cops continue to over step their boundries and get trigger happy there will be more law suits. Just look at DPD for proof.
    Last edited by Pete Otis Towns; 01-31-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

  13. #13
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,095
    Sometimes I wish there was a little more tasering going on. People seem to be loosing respect for the law and for the people trying to uphold it these days. My cousin is a cop, and some of the stories that he tells me is just ridiculous. Fortunately he has a very calm and patient demeanor.

  14. #14
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Sometimes I wish there was a little more tasering going on.
    You need to have that as your signature line, lol
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

  15. #15
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    No real winner here...
    Seems like the ranger won... zap!... thud.
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Funny stuff, but a ranger is a police officer..
    Not trying to be obtuse but is that really accurate?

  17. #17
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    seems like the ranger won... Zap!... Thud. :d
    lol
    baker

  18. #18
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Not trying to be obtuse but is that really accurate?
    Yes, although jurisdiction is sometimes limited to the place they are employed to oversee and the surrounding areas.
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

  19. #19
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Otis Towns View Post
    There is no reason to escalate to tazing someone who is walking a dog off leash in the back as they walk away. If the Ranger couldn't handle the situation she should have called for back-up. And yes I weasled out of a ticket, do I feel bad? Not in the slightest. It was a Sunday morning about 6:30 am, and there was nobody in the park.

    We made a clean dash for it, they chased me clear accross the soccer field in their white van with yellow lights flashing. Man they were pissed when they caught me but no one was tazed.

    If cops continue to over step their boundries and get trigger happy there will be more law suits. Just look at DPD for proof.
    Like I said, if you're going to flaunt disregarding the law, you should man up and accept responsibility for your actions. If you think you're being wronged, take it to court, take it to public opinion, get the law changed. I do know as soon as you run or walk away from an LEO of any kind you're asking for trouble. Only someone with a major sense of entitlement would expect otherwise.

  20. #20
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Not trying to be obtuse but is that really accurate?
    Depends on the jurisdiction.

    "State Parks - working title – Park Ranger. During the first year as a Park Ranger, this position will be required to attend a Colorado POST certified law enforcement academy. At the successful completion of this training the employee will be certified as a Colorado Peace Officer and will act in accordance to the official duties and authority of a Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) and Outdoor Recreation Officer. "
    State Employment

    FWIW the State Parks Rangers I've worked with carry guns and handcuffs, not zappers and zip ties.

  21. #21
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Like I said, if you're going to flaunt disregarding the law, you should man up and accept responsibility for your actions. If you think you're being wronged, take it to court, take it to public opinion, get the law changed. I do know as soon as you run or walk away from an LEO of any kind you're asking for trouble. Only someone with a major sense of entitlement would expect otherwise.
    According to the article the area has been a long time off leash dog walking spot and had a brand new rule change. Probably unknown to most people using the area.

    Sounds like blatant flaunt disregarding to me.

    According to witnesses the man repeatedly asked why he was being detained and the ranger refused to answer.

    More blatant flaunt disregard.

    How dare this blatant flaunt disregarder feel entitled to not be detained without cause!

    The ranger was trying to educate residents of the rule, Orwell said

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    The article says that the ranger didn't reply to the "alleged" perp, but that doesn't mean she hadn't answered his questions numerous times before there were witnesses.

    I bumped into a female ranger in the Dowdy Draw (oops, sorry lidarman, I really meant Doudy---please forgive me???) and we were just shooting the ****, mainly about trailhead thievery. Her piece was on her other side, I didn't see it. I asked her "so, you packing?" She turned the other way and there her gun was. I asked her about her firearm training and to make a short story even shorter, she explained she was a police officer with a ton of training, hopefully able to deal with any manner of bad behavior in her territory.

    She basically let me know she would not take any **** from anybody, just like any police officer anywhere wouldn't. More power to them, I say. I've had police come to my aid before and I was sure glad they were there.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pete Otis Towns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Like I said, if you're going to flaunt disregarding the law, you should man up and accept responsibility for your actions. If you think you're being wronged, take it to court, take it to public opinion, get the law changed. I do know as soon as you run or walk away from an LEO of any kind you're asking for trouble. Only someone with a major sense of entitlement would expect otherwise.
    If you say "man up" one more time, i'm going to have to take your man card.

    This happened in my mid twenties and as i recall it was more about me saying Fock you to the man and seeing if my dog and I could out run the Wash Park dog Police.

    Don't take your self so seriously; what you've never run a stop sign Mr. man up?
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

  24. #24
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Otis Towns View Post
    If you say "man up" one more time, i'm going to have to take your man card.

    This happened in my mid twenties and as i recall it was more about me saying Fock you to the man and seeing if my dog and I could out run the Wash Park dog Police.

    Don't take your self so seriously; what you've never run a stop sign Mr. man up?
    Try not to run stop signs or stop lights. Even when I was in my 20s. I've seen a couple cars crushed like beer cans with mashed up little pulps inside and that's a couple too many. Not pretty.

    If I did run a stop sign and I got busted I wouldn't try to lie or bulls**t my way out of it Not the way I was raised I guess.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    921
    PTO - you're lucky you didn't land in jail with that running from the cops stunt. Refusing to give ID can land you in jail, too. I'm guessing this incident transpired before 9/11/2001. Things have changed dramatically since then when dealing with police (of any kind, that includes park rangers). As ZRM said, "[Own] up," to what you did and walk away. If you don't like it, that is what the courts are for.

    The man in the article could have walked away with a small fine. Now, because of his arrogance he is facing some serious penalties.

    The agage--give respect, get respect--rings true here.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •