mtbr member
    Aug 2006

No Moab... what's a good consolation prize?

A week of planning, packing, tuning.... car packed and ready to roll when my daughter woke up w/ a 103 fever so Moab is out this weekend

Any other riding suggestions within a 3-4 hour drive that I could hit as a day and a half trip? Thx

mtbr member
    Salida

mtbr member
    Fruita, Grand Junction, Palisade.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry for the stupid question but how far is Fruita?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    One and a half hours less than Moab.

mtbr member
    Just over 3 hours from Golden.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Just over 3 hours from Apex.

Yeah baby

Arrrgggghhh!!
    Curt Gowdy
    Give 'da people 'da air.

mtbr member
    Is CG dry? I thought it was pretty high up.

mtbr member
    I would allow more time to get to Fruita. You folks must put the hammer down...the tunnel was even closed earlier today. With the snow in dem hills, I would give it a good 4-4.5 to Fruita right now. 3-1/4 when dry and speeding. 3 hours is just plain hauling ass---you may be able to, but it is not common--its about 250 miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    P Eblo?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Dang. It takes me 3+ hours from summit. Next time you go, let me know, so I can follow you
    Catalina wine Mixer!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Is CG dry? I thought it was pretty high up.
    A friend was up there Sunday and said the Stone Temple loop was dry and in good shape. Posted a photo to Facebook and it looked pretty good.

Wyoming Dept of Transportation I-80 Vedauwoo camera showed some snow on the ground today from last night's storm.
    http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webc...0Vedauwoo.html

mtbr member
    I saw two drivers get pulled over by state troopers returning from Fruita last Sunday. One guy had to be going 90.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I-70 west of Vail used to be a free-for-all. It is no longer... I'd keep the speed within 5mph of the limit.

Coloradian
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindavis
    I would allow more time to get to Fruita. You folks must put the hammer down...the tunnel was even closed earlier today. With the snow in dem hills, I would give it a good 4-4.5 to Fruita right now. 3-1/4 when dry and speeding. 3 hours is just plain hauling ass---you may be able to, but it is not common--its about 250 miles.
    Funny. "I can get to Denver in two and a half hours" is a standard joke among my friends. Lots of people here in GJ like to say it takes them a little over three hours to get to Denver. I tell them I hope I'm not on the road at the same time they are. Going something like the speed limit, not stopping and not being a jerk, it takes about four hours in ideal conditions. My wife's theory is they look at their watches as they pass the Palisade exit, then look at them again at the top of Floyd Hill.
    29ers are just a fad, like disc brakes, suspension, indexed shifting and mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Zimmermann
    Funny. "I can get to Denver in two and a half hours" is a standard joke among my friends. Lots of people here in GJ like to say it takes them a little over three hours to get to Denver. I tell them I hope I'm not on the road at the same time they are. Going something like the speed limit, not stopping and not being a jerk, it takes about four hours in ideal conditions. My wife's theory is they look at their watches as they pass the Palisade exit, then look at them again at the top of Floyd Hill.
    Four hours to GJ from my place in Westminster. I don't speed, got too many tickets in the past.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett