mtbr member

Niner MCR anyone?

Just curious if anyone is riding a Niner MCR (or SIR) on the FR? What size fork are you running and how do you like it for the local trails? I normally ride before work and tend to ride the same trails a lot. Am thinking of building one up for something a little different from my trailbike.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Thread Terrorist
    poo.... Do you want to just kick my ass twice as bad for our morning rides? Sheez!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Hey, whatever it takes for me to keep up!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I have a SIR9 setup SS that I've been riding for a couple years. Love that bike.

Mine is setup rigid with the longer (490mm I think) Niner steel fork. I ride this bike almost exclusively in the winter/spring months on dirt roads, bike paths and trails. Have thought about picking up a Reba or the Niner carbon fork but this setup is reliable, light and fun so I just keep pounding out miles on it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR anyone?-nancy-southbrook-trail.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice! How is the EBB? I've thought about a SIR as well, to have a SS in the winter.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Nice! How is the EBB? I've thought about a SIR as well, to have a SS in the winter.
    Rock solid, never made a squeak and never loosened. Should mention that mine is the original version, not the newer external version.

I bought this to run SS some and gears when I wanted too. 3.5 years later its never had a shifter installed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love my MCR!

I have had it for about four years. It replaced an 90's Yeti ARC with Accutrac fork. It is geared and initially set up with Niner steel fork. Then switched to Maverick SC32 for awhile. Currently set up as monstercross w/steel fork again.

Very stable and comfortable on long rides. Climbs well in or out of saddle. Responsive, fun and confidence inspiring on single tracks and downhills. Carves lines really well. No issues with quality of build/tubes/welds.

Overall, the MCR handles local roads and trails very well. I do have a Ti softtail for some of the rockier and rougher trails I ride. But for a HT steel frame, I have been very impressed.

Good luck,
    Tim

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Just curious if anyone is riding a Niner MCR (or SIR) on the FR? What size fork are you running and how do you like it for the local trails? I normally ride before work and tend to ride the same trails a lot. Am thinking of building one up for something a little different from my trailbike.
    I have a new SIR 9 frame and Carbon fork sitting at Larrys shop waitng to be built. Waiting on some more parts and wheelset. Should be up and running by this Monday. Making it a SS with a 21 cog. I rode both the the AIR and SIR before deciding on the SIR. It is a medium and you are welcome to check it out.
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, Tim. Sounds like a sweet ride. I've never ridden a 29er.....hoping to do some long rides without the fatigue of my old 26 Al ht.

mtbr member
    Congrats! What color did you go with? I've been debating the SIR or MCR. Be nice to have the SS option for winter. From your sig, you obviously dig the niner geometry. What is your height and inseam? I'm at 5'10 and 31', so I think the longer top tube would be a good fit.

\
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz
    I have a new SIR 9 frame and Carbon fork sitting at Larrys shop waitng to be built. Waiting on some more parts and wheelset. Should be up and running by this Monday. Making it a SS with a 21 cog. I rode both the the AIR and SIR before deciding on the SIR. It is a medium and you are welcome to check it out.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats! What color did you go with? I've been debating the SIR or MCR. Be nice to have the SS option for winter. From your sig, you obviously dig the niner geometry. What is your height and inseam? I'm at 5'10 and 31', so I think the longer top tube would be a good fit.

\
    You are more than welcome to ride my SIR9 (large) if you want to come up to Fort Collins. It's got the new style EBB (Bio-Centric). The ride quality of the SIR9 and MCR9 is pretty amazing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR anyone?-img_3674res.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer - I'm a Medium but thanks anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    You are more than welcome to ride my SIR9 (large) if you want to come up to Fort Collins. It's got the new style EBB (Bio-Centric). The ride quality of the SIR9 and MCR9 is pretty amazing...