"Oldfart from Wayback"

Night Riding / Full Moon/ Sunrise all in 1 ride

After all the recent talk about night rides, sunrise rides, I went back to my slide archives (younger kids probably don't remember what that is ) and scanned these shots from a night ride up Fall River Rd, solely by moonlight/ and the following dawn descent of Trail Ridge Rd in July 2000.

Dawn lighting up the clouds just past the Alpine Visitor Center after the junction and the final climb up Trail Ridge to 12,183'.

More elk in one herd on the side of the road then car's I'd see all day as the full moon sets.

A couple more elk.

It's not ST, or even as rough as Old Flowers Rd, but it is a must do for all Front Range riders. Time your start, as best you can, up "Old Fall River" to get you to the Visitor Center about 3 hrs before sunrise, take a breakfast break, then start the last grueling climb up the pavement as dawn begins, swatting away the elk clogging the road, and enjoy the ~3,663' descent without a car in sight.

Warning: May approach 40 mph +, I suppose you actually could get ticketed

Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    After all the recent talk about night rides, sunrise rides, I went back to my slide archives (younger kids probably don't remember what that is )
    I remember slides and carousels, and the ka-chunk as the carousel turned and the sound of the fan and the dust particles in the beam of light shining on a wall or screen.

#3 I like.

Good stuff.

Ed

This is how it started...
    I will have to add that ride to my 'bucket list'. Great pics!
    Life is about the ride.

ride
    Sweet! We did that ride about 'zactly opposite last year. Up Fall River Rd mostly in the daylight, then donned the lights before reaching the visitors center. Cresting the top and down Trail Ridge in the dark with cross bikes and brand spankin new pavement was an unbelievable experience. With 4 bikes and zero traffic with great visibility, we were able to use the entire road for the long descent. The night time element added to the fun.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow... Great views...Thank you for sharing those photo's.... Must have been fun... What time of year did you ride that?

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Night riding rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Sweet! ......... The night time element added to the fun.
    Either way.

old skool newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    I remember slides and carousels, and the ka-chunk as the carousel turned and the sound of the fan and the dust particles in the beam of light shining on a wall or screen.

#3 I like.

Good stuff.

Ed
    great stuff actually, there aren't many descriptive experiences for today's digital slideshow, except maybe adjusting the display time or the squinting and uncomfortable position of sitting at the computer, nah, doesn't compare

how about all the carousels labeled california trip '73, Zion park '74, christams '75, etc. or the translucent color quality

I think the first picture is my favorite onebelaydave.
    Were you hiking with an aluminum frame backpack and cludderboots on that trip?
    Attached Images Attached Images

tiny rider
    OT: Have any of you found a good place to get slides scanned in the area? I have on the order of 1000+ which I would like to just bulk process if they aren't too expensive. I have some slide shows picked out, but it would be nice to get them all done.

I managed a beautiful early-morning ride up and down Trail Ridge this summer on a perfect, quiet day. I passed about as many bikes (3) as cars passed me on the ride up. Coming down was almost as peaceful and the pavement was perfect.

Members who have read this thread: 0