Heads up Flyboy!!

Night riding the Ceran St Vrain Trail

Last night I made my 1st ever pilgrimage to Lyons, Colorado. I had Dave over at Redstone Cyclery build me a Alfine(internal Gears)/ Stans Flow 29er rear wheel.

Definitely a work of art

New Alfine/Stans Flow 29er rear wheel

After finishing up with Dave it was just after 6:30pm and though Hall Ranch and Picture Rock....rock as trails...I wanted something a little different. I wanted National Forest, Wilderness...some orienteering if you will.

I knew the Ceran St Vrain trailhead was up off Left Hand Canyon past Jamestown but I saw on the map that I could also drive past Picture Rock. Even before I could ask Dave about it, he heard my intended trail to ride and directed me right to Raymond, Colorado. Thanks Dave!

Ceran St Vrain

Raymond is one of those cool little forks in the road that goes back to a time forgotten and its a place I can dig. Dave let me know the entrance to FS 252 would be hard to find, looks like a driveway he said and he was right.

Ceran St Vrain

oh yeah, on the right track

Ceran St Vrain

and so I began to climb

Ceran St Vrain

and climb

Ceran St Vrain

with some sweet views in the distance(Long's Peak?)

Ceran St Vrain

The confluence of discombobulation..I took the far right and rode up to Miller Rock

Ceran St Vrain

another view

Ceran St Vrain

a few turns through the woods on unmarked though legit trails and I ended up here and knew I was on the right track

Ceran St Vrain

Beyond was some good riding

Ceran St Vrain

Ceran St Vrain

Ceran St Vrain

funny how I made my way through all the rough stuff and come to this when the trail becomes buff

Ceran St Vrain

Crossing of the St Vrain

Ceran St Vrain

lighting was getting funky

Ceran St Vrain

Jamestown end trailhead

Ceran St Vrain

Crawling through tree tunnels...about a half a dozen or so down on the trail

Ceran St Vrain

Looking back the way I came

Ceran St Vrain

The bridge over the Middle St Vrain in Raymond

Ceran St Vrain

a pilgrimage can't be made to Lyons without hitting Oscar Blues...to be honest I tried to hit Cilantro Mary's 1st but they had closed 5 minutes before I got to back to town

Oskar Blues

a well deserved treat

Oskar Blues Old Chub

ride
    Nice one Jeremy. Looks like a good ride was had. We'll pretty much be doing that same ride on our Tuesday nighter next week. Cilantro Mary's is ok, but unfortunately, no post ride beers or margs at that establishment
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Nice ride.

Mt. Meeker.

not actually bad :)
    Nice report Evil MGE - what about the wheel?
    Judging from the pic under the tree, I guess you just picked the wheel up, and didn't get it on yet?
    Old Codger

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Thanks for the tips on parking and finding 252, Dave...Rode around Raymond for about 5 minutes up and down the road before finding the turn. I didn't get to enjoy a brew till I go home tho.

Thanks for letting me know Shtless. Mt Meeker it is. You can't tell I'm still new to Colorado can you.

Bad Andy! Just got the wheel just before I went to do the Ceran St Vrain. Still waiting on the Alfine small parts kit and shifter which should be here today. I set it up tubeless this morning and if I get the parts in time I may go ahead and put it on tonight for my Tour De Mines this weekend.
    Last edited by mountaingoatepics; 05-15-2009 at 09:34 AM.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Mt Meeker it is. You can't tell I'm still new to Colorado can you.
    No worries there - I am convinced some people I grew up with in Longmont still don't realize the mountain they looked at practically every day they grew up isn't Long's Peak. Meeker (13,911 elev. I believe) sits east of Longs (there is a high connecting ridge between the 2), and blocks a full on view of Longs from that area.
    Old Codger

contains quinine
    Please post back what you think after some time on this.

New Alfine/Stans Flow 29er rear wheel
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Please post back what you think after some time on this.
    Will do. Just got it installed tonight. Shimano wants the cable routing for the Alfine to be downtube routed. I can't stand downtube routing so I Macgyverized the cassette joint by switching the left and right horizontal non turn washers to get a 30-40 degree angle on it and then I had to bend it slightly to get the cable out of the chainline.

Rode it around a little tonight on the neighborhood bike trails and it feels like a good gear range, surprisingly better then expected. The ultimate test will be this weekend's Tour.

1st teasers of the Alfine

1st teasers of the Alfine

mtbr member
    I only rode Ceran St Vrain once but I loved it. the beginning part where you are riding through the really smooth singletrack through the pine forest without practically any vegetation on the ground other than pine needles is so beautiful. I remember riding through that and I literally had a huge smile on my face because it was such a fun, flowy, carefree trail and so pretty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What's the mileage for the trail? I've ridden from the Jamestown side but never gotten to the other end.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    What's the mileage for the trail? I've ridden from the Jamestown side but never gotten to the other end.
    I don't have a working cpu at the moment but I'm thinking the total ride is only 10-11 miles if that. I think if you do the Ceran St Vrain as a lollypop including the Miller Rock loop from the Jamestown end its only 6.5 miles. I'm figuring FS 252 added 2 miles or so each way. ignazjr and his crew may have a better answer.

friend of Apex
    Good stuff.

ride
    I haven't paid attention to mileage since I quit racing. To do the ride that MGE did is a couple of hours. Probably not too much mileage, though. Cerain St Vrain itself is only 3 or so miles one way I think.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO